Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Working on brakes in the paddock

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 10:14 AM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Put on the new rotors at home, bed them in, then swap the old rotors back on for the event. When/if you need them at the track, they're all set to go with no worries. As someone said above, anyone who tracked a C5 on OE rotors got really good at swapping rotors at the track. Slide the jack under the rocker, jack it up, pull off the wheel with an impact, remove two caliper bracket bolts with a 21mm socket, slide up caliper, remove old rotor and replace with the new one, push in caliper pistons and slide caliper into place, bolt to 125ft-lbs, install wheel, drop jack, torque wheels. 5 minutes max when you've done it a few times and have the right tools.
The following 3 users liked this post by Scooter70:
GoatHead (04-23-2019), jefnvk (04-23-2019), Sox-Fan (04-23-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 11:02 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

A comments to summarize things:

- HF small racing jack (you are getting)
- Jacking pucks to use with jack
- Plywood boards to place under jack and under jack stand (you may also need to place a board under the wheel where you are working to make sure you have sufficient room under the car once the jack is on a board)
- Tool to spread the pads so you can remove the caliper.
- Tools to remove/reinstall the caliper bridge bolt
- Combination wrench (21 or 22 mm can't remember which size) to remove brake caliper bolts, socket wrench can be used as well. Recommend purchasing a battery powered impact wrench with a 300 lb ft capability (I have a recent Sears 1/2 inch drive wrench that is capable of removing any bolt/nut that is on the car). A breaker bar may not work as you may not have sufficient room to use it. One thing I found works with a breaker bar is placing it so it hangs down at an angle and then while holding the socket in place lower the car onto the bar and use the car's weight to break the bolts loose. Those bolts take a lot of force. Some guys have the arms to break them loose others don't.
- Torque wrench to tighten the lug nuts. I don't use it on the caliper bolts. I just use the impact wrench to get them tight. Been doing that for a lot of years with no issues.
- Make sure the parking brake is set and the car is in reverse (manual) or park (auto)
- Use the jack and jacking puck to jack the car from the forward shipping slot on each side of the car,

place the jack stand under the end of the front cross member just inboard of the lower control arm mounting location. Make sure the top of the jack stand is located so it bridges across the cradle at that point. Not across the car but lengthwise to the car.

One jack stand and the jack used as a back up to the jack stand should be sufficient to do the job safely. However, don't put any part of your body under the car, squat don't sit so if something goes wrong you can get out of the way. Getting the car up in the air this way will get both front wheels off the ground and permit you to turn the steering so you can get better access to the caliper bolts.

Notice in these pictures that I have 3 wheels off the ground.

When changing brakes I place the wheels under the car after I remove them.

The problem you have is limiting tools to the bare minimum so you can carry them in the cargo area along with your luggage, helmet and any fluids you may want to take along with you.

Bill
The following 2 users liked this post by Bill Dearborn:
GoatHead (04-23-2019), jefnvk (04-23-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 11:09 AM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Received 1,022 Likes on 637 Posts

Pre-bed rotors at home on a nice weekend day, as everyone else has mentioned.

Unless series/track rules require it, I wouldn't bother with jackstands for a quick rotor swap. As others have mentioned, once you get the hang of it it is a couple min per wheel, just don't put your body under the car.

Oh, and welding gloves are nice if things are still hot!

Last edited by jefnvk; 04-23-2019 at 11:12 AM.
Old 04-23-2019, 01:05 PM
GoatHead
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
A comments to summarize things:

Bill
Bill:

Thanks as always. Great write up.

When is your next trip to VIR?

I am registered for PCA on May 24-26, and Tarheel for June 1-2. (back to back weekends)
Old 04-23-2019, 01:37 PM
Jfryjfry
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 168 Posts

I can see (but wouldn’t) not using a stand if changing wheels but anything else absolutely put a stand or a wheel under. Will the jack collapse? Probably not. Have they? Yes. Could you get hurt if you’re trying to loosen the caliper bolts with no jack stand and the jack fails? Yup.

Is it worth saving 10 seconds to toss a stand under? Not for me.

Drive up on some 2x6’s to get clearance for the jack.
Old 04-23-2019, 02:15 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by Jfryjfry
I can see (but wouldn’t) not using a stand if changing wheels but anything else absolutely put a stand or a wheel under. Will the jack collapse? Probably not. Have they? Yes. Could you get hurt if you’re trying to loosen the caliper bolts with no jack stand and the jack fails? Yup.

Is it worth saving 10 seconds to toss a stand under? Not for me.

Drive up on some 2x6’s to get clearance for the jack.
I'm surprised no one else has thought to adopt my idea I posted earlier. There's nothing lighter, more compact and faster than this. That's a 2" clearance.

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 04-23-2019 at 02:15 PM.
Old 04-23-2019, 02:42 PM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Received 360 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow
I'm surprised no one else has thought to adopt my idea I posted earlier. There's nothing lighter, more compact and faster than this. That's a 2" clearance.

https://youtu.be/ZdgwN1lKd_Y
Yes I need that now.
Old 04-23-2019, 02:55 PM
GoatHead
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

https://youtu.be/ZdgwN1lKd_Y
It is a great idea, but I didn't think it would work form me. I don't have a cordless impact driver (made the mistake and bought a corded one, so that is staying for now). Also, I thought of using the spare jack from my Honda (similar to yours), however I am afraid that the car won't be stable. I have a metal semi-permanent jacking pucks installed. The jack doesn't have enough surface contact with the puck - small contact of metal on metal.

The HF jack I bought is small, light, and inexpensive. And, I can use it in my garage, if I don't feel like setting up the QuickJack.
Old 04-23-2019, 03:28 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by GoatHead
It is a great idea, but I didn't think it would work form me. I don't have a cordless impact driver (made the mistake and bought a corded one, so that is staying for now). Also, I thought of using the spare jack from my Honda (similar to yours), however I am afraid that the car won't be stable. I have a metal semi-permanent jacking pucks installed. The jack doesn't have enough surface contact with the puck - small contact of metal on metal.

The HF jack I bought is small, light, and inexpensive. And, I can use it in my garage, if I don't feel like setting up the QuickJack.
Yeah I wouldn't use it on a metal puck. I wouldn't use a metal puck at all actually. Too slippery.
Old 04-23-2019, 04:51 PM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Received 360 Likes on 283 Posts

Yeah I wouldn't use it on a metal puck. I wouldn't use a metal puck at all actually. Too slippery.
I don't mind jacking the car up but lugging the jack around is a pia.

And I want to put this to use - it's a beast.

Old 04-25-2019, 08:32 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Originally Posted by GoatHead
Bill:

Thanks as always. Great write up.

When is your next trip to VIR?

I am registered for PCA on May 24-26, and Tarheel for June 1-2. (back to back weekends)
Will be running at the Glen for 5 days in early June and then will be back to VIR for the NCM event at the end of June.

The NCM event is a great event if you get a chance to attend. One of the few Corvette events on the calendar in the US.

Bill

Quick Reply: Working on brakes in the paddock