Notices
Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HPDE Track Insurance

Old 05-10-2019, 07:24 AM
MX621
CF Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Cheaper track cars seem to be getting more popular among those who track frequently. Im Seeing more stock cars, C5s and e46/36 bmw at track days from guys who were tracking newer/expensive cars. Just a way to scratch the itch a lot cheaper.
Old 05-10-2019, 02:16 PM
chandretti15
CF Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TrackLizard View Post
Thanks, everybody, for all the comments and input. I've learned a lot just by the remarks you guys have left. I welcome more input if it's out there, but it sounds to me like (at least at first) I should bite the bullet and be insured. Blkbrd69 said it best "it's a sick sick expensive hobby, and that's just the beginning..." I thought I was going to be able to retire from my day job and go racing, but it's looking like I may have to keep my day job just to be able to keep racing. At least until that inheritance comes through....
Like you said. Just bite the bullet and buy the track insurance. It would be foolish to go out there with a nice new car and not be insured. Also, stop saying you are racing if you are doing HPDEs. You're out there to have fun and improve your driving skills. Racing is a whole other world. Get out with a group like Hooked on Driving, get in a beginner group with an instructor to set a good foundation and build your skills from there. Drive at 7/10ths and you'll still have more fun than you've ever had with your car. Enjoy.
The following users liked this post:
TrackLizard (05-15-2019)
Old 05-12-2019, 02:08 PM
Racingswh
CF Senior Member

Received 238 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by chandretti15 View Post
Just bite the bullet and buy the track insurance. Racing is a whole other world.
I agree insurance is a good idea.

How is racing different than HPDE? I hear that often. Just curious why.
Old 05-12-2019, 04:27 PM
blkbrd69
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Racingswh View Post

Ever watch a spec Miata race? Rubbing is racing.

After too many close calls with my pretty Corvettes, I also went to a cheap track car with metal fenders.
Old 05-12-2019, 05:26 PM
chandretti15
CF Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Racingswh View Post

Racing is wheel-to-wheel that is governed and regulated by a sanctioning body such as SCCA, NASA,... HPDE is a High Performance Driving Event(Education) in which you are not competing with others but share the track. Most all groups require point-by passing except in the highest level skill groups. Cars that are racing are usually not street-legal, built with full cages and various safety systems. HPDE cars can be anything from a fully stock street care to a full-on race car. Most HPDE participants drive to and from the event and want to leave with the car in the condition you brought it to the track initially. I really like Hooked On Driving HPDEs because of their emphasis on safety and they constantly remind you that it is not a race and no trophies are given out. It's just a way to go out and have fun.
Old 05-12-2019, 05:40 PM
Racingswh
CF Senior Member

Received 238 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by blkbrd69 View Post
Ever watch a spec Miata race? Rubbing is racing.

After too many close calls with my pretty Corvettes, I also went to a cheap track car with metal fenders.
I watched them from the track in NASA races on a couple occasions. Looked like for them racing was a contact sport. I never in my life passed so many cars in those races. 53 racing passes in my first doorslammer race ever in my slow as molasses Nissan 240. Definitely not DE's that's for sure.

I don't change a thing with my pace or intensity whether I am driving in a race or a DE other than the fact that my lap times are better in DE's because my car is faster and less people are in my way.
Old 05-12-2019, 10:54 PM
7007vette
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you have the option to purchase back the car from the insurance company should the car be beyond repair?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HPDE Track Insurance

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: