Notices
Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jim Mero on Ross Bentley's podcast

Old 05-09-2019, 11:38 AM
The HACK
CF Senior Member

Received 313 Likes on 167 Posts
Default Jim Mero on Ross Bentley's podcast

Old 05-09-2019, 05:07 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,258 Likes on 931 Posts

Sorry I didn't see this before I posted the same thing over in the C7 Z06 section. I've learned a lot so far and haven't even finished listening to it.

Things I've learned so far:
  • For all you guys saying Jim has no racing experience did you know he raced Formula Vees as well as racing at LeMans for Doug Rippie in 1995?
  • Apparently optimum pressure and grip for a hot lap on the MPSC2 tires is 28 psi and 200F. Also why they don't run nitrogen in the tires used for testing.
  • Lots of stories about the testing and laps for time in the C7s at the N'ring.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:28 PM
The HACK
CF Senior Member

Received 313 Likes on 167 Posts

Ross Bentley’s podcasts are a GOLDMINE. I usually leave one of his podcasts on in the background as I work, in hopes of gleaming a nugget or two of wisdom via osmosis.

People were questioning Jim’s racing background? Wow. Reminds me of this one time l, I had the privilege of seeing the “back end” of a supercar track event. At the event they had THE test engineer from an exotic Italian car maker flown all the way from the factory here to give rides. I overheard one of the drivers at the event who made a snide remark about how he can do [insert test driver’s job].

I had to chuckle a little on the inside. I suppose posting sub 7 minute laps at the ring is easy to do, while giving feedback to engineers on what to change to shave off another 1/2 second on a 7 minute lap. No big deal.

I think what he meant to say was he WISHES he can do VB’s job. But whatever. I suppose you won’t be driving a giant Italian pen*s extender on track if you don’t at least have some Type A in you.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:29 PM
kdm123
CF Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Just coming to the end of listening to this podcasts. I've listened to all of the Speed Secrets podcasts, and this one ranks as one of the top ten.

It was fascinating to hear about the difficult logistics of testing at the Ring. The weather changes around the track are well known, but I didn't know that there are usually more than 50 cars on track at any one time during an industry test, making it difficult to set a fast time. He talks about taking 35 tires to a single day at the track and saying that that is not enough due to the length of the course. Also, he was there with just a three or four other people, and that was considered a skeleton screw compared to Nissan who had fifty engineers and techs there when they did lap times for the GTR.

This is definitely a must listen not just for us Corvette fans, but to anyone interested in learning how industry people go about testing at the Ring.
Old 05-10-2019, 05:52 PM
K.I.T.T.
CF Senior Member

Received 735 Likes on 404 Posts

I'm not trying to be overly critical or anything...I appreciate listening to Jim Mero always...used to love him diving into the data at the Bash...good times. Point is, this guy who runs this podcast conducted a pretty poor interview and squandered a great opportunity. There is definitely value in the outcome, but it really left me wanting a hell of a lot more than I got. Jim hit some key points, but this podcast was pure freestyle...the guy didn't have questions prepared and ready to really make this have impact. Give me the same hour with Jim, I'll give you 5x the content.

It was a great talk, but...after listening to it I was getting tempted to contact Jim and see if he'd do a talk with me on my channel. That guy loves the game, and this could've been so much better. I've talked to Jim for 20min at the bash and got more than this.
Old 05-10-2019, 06:33 PM
kdm123
CF Senior Member

KITT, do you have a podcast or a YouTube channel? Link?
Old 05-10-2019, 07:32 PM
K.I.T.T.
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by kdm123 View Post
KITT, do you have a podcast or a YouTube channel? Link?
I'm sensing your motive may be to respond to my prior statement, so for that reason I will elaborate. I respect the platform the guy has created, the total content and the energy he has contributed. What he has accomplished is GOOD, but that doesn't mean it can't be improved upon. I mean no disrespect to the guy, I am only saying I think the interview lacked punch and potency. Jim started to go down corridors and I really was hoping the host could expand and lead the interview...he just didn't...a lot of ahhhhhh....yeah...ahhhhhh....ok. Change subject...

My background may just be different than that host, I realize that. I just feel like a guy like Jim Mero is a guy about the data, the details, the tech...and he has a lot of it...decades worth. You have to be efficient to extract that, and this just came up short.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:38 PM
kdm123
CF Senior Member

Lol, no my motive was to check out your channel.

I agree that Ross doesn't do great interviews. Although I'm a big fan of his podcast, I'm not a fan of the Speed Secrets books he's written. I think there are others who explain driving better than does Ross Bentley.

That said, he's often got some very interesting guests on his podcast. Also, he's a pretty nice guy and totally humble.
Old 05-11-2019, 02:14 AM
K.I.T.T.
CF Senior Member

I just didn't want this to turn into a negative event is all. The guy has put in work, I'm not trying to trash what he's doing, I just think he missed the mark. He's a driver, but he just seems to get lost in the conversation with Mero, and it strikes me as odd. He really positions himself as very capable and accomplished, so I was kind of surprised he got lost on where to take the conversation. Rare opportunities to speak to someone like Mero, especially fresh off of retirement (so he's very close to the current programs)...that's just a miss on a pot of gold. Hell, he didn't even ask him where the Ohio roads were...lol. I traded a car in Lexington KY and drove back to Pa...I ended up on some southeast Ohio roads that were MIND blowing...I'm talking 25 minutes of constant steering input to the point I was getting exhausted like running a track day...I'd love to hear about the loop he mentioned.

KnightDriveTV is the channel. I had the channel going last year and had a good following started, but for personal reasons deleted the entire channel. I re-established it, on an established channel I've had for 13 yrs. So, I began uploading in the past three months or so. I am targeting about 8 new vids/mo...quality, good visuals, good editing, and then expanding on some things moving forward. It's a lot of energy for no return at this point, so I do what I can.
Old 05-11-2019, 02:23 AM
kdm123
CF Senior Member

Subscribed!
The following users liked this post:
K.I.T.T. (05-11-2019)
Old 05-11-2019, 09:10 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

I know that Ross has said in the past that one of the motivations for him to start this podcast was to improve his speaking skills.

BTW, seems like everybody has a YT channel these days.
Old 05-11-2019, 12:33 PM
K.I.T.T.
CF Senior Member

I was doing automotive documentaries and shooting car events, as far back as 2007, so...I wouldn't say I'm a bandwagoner. I had a videography company for a number of years also (weddings/car shows/commercials) I just never did consistent uploads on youtube, don't ask me why. I have archive video from the days I built forced induction systems, had my chassis dyno, did SEMA shows, conventions, club events...had I been vlogging and uploading then...oh where I'd be.

I do YT as a hobby, nothing more. It's my way to do "car stuff" because parking lot meets just don't do it for me. I push to make quality content car guys will enjoy, do good editing, etc.

Lots of people play golf; lots of people hang at the bar; lots of people do gardening...I do Youtube...why not.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:11 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by K.I.T.T. View Post
I was doing automotive documentaries and shooting car events, as far back as 2007, so...I wouldn't say I'm a bandwagoner. I had a videography company for a number of years also (weddings/car shows/commercials) I just never did consistent uploads on youtube, don't ask me why. I have archive video from the days I built forced induction systems, had my chassis dyno, did SEMA shows, conventions, club events...had I been vlogging and uploading then...oh where I'd be.

I do YT as a hobby, nothing more. It's my way to do "car stuff" because parking lot meets just don't do it for me. I push to make quality content car guys will enjoy, do good editing, etc.

Lots of people play golf; lots of people hang at the bar; lots of people do gardening...I do Youtube...why not.
Hey I was just poking at the general situation and not you in particular. I also have a YT channel that I use to post track vids and educational stuff. What drives me crazy are all the guys trying to be click-bait YT millionaires but I'm sorry if you took my comment as a slight directed at you. What I definitely lack is any sort of background in this stuff or production quality so more power to you.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:56 PM
K.I.T.T.
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Poor-sha View Post
Hey I was just poking at the general situation and not you in particular. I also have a YT channel that I use to post track vids and educational stuff. What drives me crazy are all the guys trying to be click-bait YT millionaires but I'm sorry if you took my comment as a slight directed at you. What I definitely lack is any sort of background in this stuff or production quality so more power to you.
Yeah...a lot of folks tend to take shots on here a bit. Seems the older fellas got a little hate brewin at times...lol. I've watched your vids. I was going to do something similar using some of the posts in the track times threads but...not sure if there was interest so I put it off and focused on other content.

YT millionaire types are pretty funny...that's the 0.1% of the total uploads happening. I kind of got out of the scene to a degree, so I like makin them. I try to put out stuff I feel is missing from youtube by doing relevant searches and things. While it's a vast pit of sh*t...there are definitely still tons of holes.

Been watching your GSR...whenever you come out to Spring Mountain and run that baby I'll meet up with ya...lol. Little far for you, but you never know...haha. When they finish that 10 mile extension, you'll have to lay down a lap...lol.

Last edited by K.I.T.T.; 05-13-2019 at 08:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Poor-sha (05-13-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Jim Mero on Ross Bentley's podcast

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: