Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which is Faster AutoX Setup ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 04:17 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Kubs
Those 100TW options are not true 100TW tires from my experience. They will not be as fast as a Rival or RE-71R.

The way the UTQG determines the tread wear rating is by running a wear test. That is supposed to be an indication of how long the tires will last, and tire companies are not allowed to mark it HIGHER than the tested result. However, there is nothing against marking it lower. Before the 200TW class wars came about all the companies were marking their summer tires 180, 150, 120 etc to make the buyer think they were softer. Now that SCCA and USCA are mandating 200TW or higher, companies like BFG and Bridgestone are actually making tires that dont test higher than 200 on the wear test (or not by much), and these tires are significantly faster than a lot of options marked 180 or lower. Just going by what us stamped on the sidewall is not a good indication.
Thank you very much for that explanation as I did not understand this before.
Also I am glad to hear that your experience with these tires backs up your position.

So now I still need to decide between Rival front and back or RE71 on the front. I like the idea of the 285/30 for a little extra contact patch and giving a more OEM front to rear stagger to prevent computer issues.

DH
Old 05-13-2019, 04:19 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by jesup16
If you're so competitive, then why not build to a class and see how you stack up?
Just for fun. don't go to the Solo events but rather the practice days to get more runs. But we compare times ............

DH
Old 05-13-2019, 04:24 PM
jesup16
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Just for fun. don't go to the Solo events but rather the practice days to get more runs. But we compare times ............

DH
That's cool... was just busting your chops a bit. But you should check out a regional or other local SCCA event some time... I was a local non-sanction guy for a while, too. Once I got put in my place by a few guys at a SCCA event, it really fed the addiction.

Quick Reply: Which is Faster AutoX Setup ??