Notices
Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help MAJOR Engine Failure seeking advice and options

Old 05-11-2019, 10:32 PM
DunlevysZ
CF Senior Member

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

I think a lot depends on how much trash got up between the pistons and cylinders.It could possibly be limited to a crank and a rod or two, but it's just guessing until the tear down.
The following users liked this post:
truth.b (05-11-2019)
Old 05-17-2019, 05:59 AM
K.I.T.T.
CF Senior Member

Received 735 Likes on 404 Posts

Sounds like 427 time if ya ask me!...lol.
Old 05-17-2019, 06:19 AM
449er
CF Senior Member

Received 321 Likes on 274 Posts

If you go with the new crate engine option, GM sells the LS3 in different horsepower variants...I believe they have a 500 + hp version with a warranty
Old 05-17-2019, 03:10 PM
Under-Pressure
CF Senior Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by K.I.T.T. View Post
Sounds like 427 time if ya ask me!...lol.
Old 05-19-2019, 04:24 PM
ponycar
CF Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Truth, I've met you at the track, we have mutual friends. I've seen either Jegs or Summit, can't remember which, sells a dry sump LS3. Good luck with the build. I hope you'll make NCM VIR. David
Old 05-20-2019, 09:47 AM
93Polo
CF Senior Member

Received 146 Likes on 139 Posts
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

We were in the same boat a couple of years ago. We talked to the owner of Vengeance Racing and he did have take out low mile motors which were replaced with more powerful custom builds. I'd give them a call to see what they have. More than a few have done expensive custom builds for the motor to fail and you kept a stock motor alive for a long time.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:56 AM
93Polo
CF Senior Member

Received 146 Likes on 139 Posts
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

Originally Posted by andersnor View Post
525hp ls3, gm warranty

https://www.jegs.com/p/Chevrolet-Per...41625/10002/-1

tanks should be cleanable

oil cooler I would not risk, same with lines

Originally Posted by DunlevysZ View Post
Just to be clear, you're running the factory GS dry sump?
Originally Posted by truth.b View Post
Yep. My car is a 2013 Grand Sport manual coupe.
I would upgrade to something like the Aviaid LSA dry sump with their pan or stock pan with Improved Racing Crank scraper but I have not run a dry sump motor. Maybe someone will step in.

Also the crank snout and oil pump on the LS3 dry sump is not the same as the standard LS3. Something to consider when looking at crate motors. You could still run the LS-A system for scavenging and a factory wet sump oil pump for pressure.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:51 PM
AND0
CF Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

We all know that the LS is the greatest engine ever made, but.... repeated trips over 7000 at the road course on a factory engine with 120,000 ++ miles....
It might not be that anything specific caused this failure other than end of life cycle for components. Pistons fatigue, faster at high RPM.

If you go with a factory crate LS3 maybe consider a lower RPM limit, or an aftermarket build with forged lighter weight components.
You certainly got good use out of this engine.
Old 05-23-2019, 07:27 PM
AJ02
CF Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

C6GS, Recently had to rebuild my motor due to spun rod bearings and crank. A couple rockers blew apart and sent needle bearings through the system and we expect oil starvation. Went back in with a 416 stroker kit and BTR stroker cam. After researching all of the costs, they're all about the same at the end, but came out of it with 510 rwp/ 495 tq. The block, heads and top end were saved, but replaced everything else.

Dry sump and lines were cleaned out, but replaced oil cooler. We did add the scavenger tray. Let me know if you have any questions about the build.

Car is tracked pretty regularly and sees high rpms for 20-30 minute periods.
Old Yesterday, 07:10 AM
truth.b
CF Senior Member

Received 111 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by AJ02 View Post
C6GS, Recently had to rebuild my motor due to spun rod bearings and crank. A couple rockers blew apart and sent needle bearings through the system and we expect oil starvation. Went back in with a 416 stroker kit and BTR stroker cam. After researching all of the costs, they're all about the same at the end, but came out of it with 510 rwp/ 495 tq. The block, heads and top end were saved, but replaced everything else.

Dry sump and lines were cleaned out, but replaced oil cooler. We did add the scavenger tray. Let me know if you have any questions about the build.

Car is tracked pretty regularly and sees high rpms for 20-30 minute periods.
Pardon the redumentary question, but what is a scavenger tray and what was the benefit of adding it.
Old Yesterday, 07:35 AM
AJ02
CF Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not rudimentary at all...I had no idea until my builder suggested it. Below is an excerpt from Improved Racing's site.

Improved Racing's crankshaft scrapers help reduce oil starvation by closely contouring the crankshaft and rods to remove excess oil, ensuring oil is quickly returned to the bottom of the sump. Crank scrapers also help reduce parasitic drag and windage losses caused by excess oil on the crank, which reduces rotational mass and results in dyno-proven gains of 5-10 HP at the wheels.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help MAJOR Engine Failure seeking advice and options

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: