Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best home alignment tools

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 10:44 PM
rabrooks
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Default Best home alignment tools

I want to get a decent set of wheel alignment tools (budget minded of course). I have looked at alot of the ones available. But before I pull the trigger. I'd like to know what others are using. I do like a system with a laser beam at part of the kit. That is what I typically use to align the rear wheels to make sure they are parallel to centerline of the car as a start.

So share with me what you use and why you like it.
Thanks
Roger
Old 05-10-2019, 12:04 AM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 518 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by rabrooks
I want to get a decent set of wheel alignment tools (budget minded of course). I have looked at alot of the ones available. But before I pull the trigger. I'd like to know what others are using. I do like a system with a laser beam at part of the kit. That is what I typically use to align the rear wheels to make sure they are parallel to centerline of the car as a start.

Thanks
Roger
Here are the tools I use. Most expensive part is the camber / caster gauge.

Laser level magnetic mount to a toe bar to measure thrust / total toe.
4 spacer levels to set the measuring bar to a constant distance from the wheel axle.
camber caster gauge.

But look at this in 2 parts.

1. Measurements
2. Making adjustments to the car.

So part 1 needs to be fast and produce reliable measurements so "strings" is out of the picture very quickly.

Part 2 is the most difficult part. To gain access to the access points works best using a alignment rack. So this for DIY is out.
next best would be hub stands, but $1000+ so cost is a concern.

This is what it looks like measuring toe. I can measure with-in 0.0104 total toe degrees ~ 1/256" total toe ( note your suspension has more play than what I can measure) so I never get 100% the same reading. Its just not possible.

This is what it looks like measuring thrust front or rear. (don't use the center line of the body , but the center line of the axle)

Read this if you are interested in hub stands. This gives you an idea where this helps with part 2 (making the adjustments)

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...by-froggy.html

Last edited by cagotzmann; 05-10-2019 at 12:07 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mikeCsix (05-11-2019)
Old 05-10-2019, 06:22 PM
RX7 KLR
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rabrooks

Thanks
Roger
https://www.smartracingproducts.com/

SmartStrings and SmartCamber, will pay for itself in a few years.
The following users liked this post:
mikeCsix (05-11-2019)
Old 05-10-2019, 08:23 PM
0CSM Performance
Former Vendor

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

We're currently revamping our Laser System to work more similar to a string style setup as most racers are familiar with this process as well as improving overall accuracy and ease of use. We pride ourselves on making some of the finest alignment tools available. We'd be happy to help! We do currently have a couple left over sets of the Original Precision Hub Stands minus Hub Mount Plates that we could use to put together a kit with our Mk II plates at a lower cost than our Mk II set. We'll be advertising those here pretty quickly. Shoot me a PM if you have any questions!

Here's a picture of our Mk II Stands with a set of strings

Thanks!
Colton @ CSM Performance LLC

Last edited by CSM Performance; 05-10-2019 at 08:24 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by CSM Performance:
mikeCsix (05-11-2019), rabrooks (05-24-2019), xene106 (05-13-2019)
Old 05-13-2019, 10:33 PM
xene106
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

interested in this thread

Get notified of new replies

To Best home alignment tools

Quick Reply: Best home alignment tools