Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Relative Effect of UCA vs LCA Displacement?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2019, 04:39 PM
Rx7Rob
Drifting

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

Default Relative Effect of UCA vs LCA Displacement?

Does anyone know the relative effect of moving the upper vs lower control arms affect caster, camber, and wheel position? This would be for the front of a C5.

What I'm trying to get a feel for is:
- move one end of lca by x":
Camber change =
Caster change =
Tire moved front / back =
- move one end of uca by x":
Camber change = (this looks like 0.3° for 1/16" shim)
Caster change =
Tire moved front / back =

I'm sure its not one for one between UCA and LCA.

My car felt ok at yesterdays track event with my quick alignment to fix what the shop screwed up. Now I have about a month until the next event and have time to get it right. I know I need more negative camber, more caster, and possibly move the tire back just a touch (on drivers wheel). Currently have the front end of the LCA maxed out (to push the tire back and get negative camber, but of course lost caster). UCA shimmed at the front by 3/8" to also move the tire back, get some caster, but of course lost some camber. That got the tire close to where it need to be w/o trubbing the front of the wheel well.

Car was doing a little dancing when hard on the brakes so I may add a touch more rear toe in. Steering felt vague / floaty when going straight at 120+. Front toe is probably a little too close to 0 so I'll add more front toe out and would like more caster.

Thanks!

Rob

Quick Reply: Relative Effect of UCA vs LCA Displacement?