Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil and Coolant Temp Relations

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 06:54 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Default Oil and Coolant Temp Relations

Just hunting for a rule of thumb I seem to think I recall, but I don't trust my memory. When you reduce oil temps, coolant should follow, though to a much lesser extent. I want to say it was something like for every 8 degrees of oil temp reduction, you got 1 degree of water temp reduction? Or am I off my rocker? My old *** CMC Camaro with an LT1 used to have an Afco with integrated oil cooler that I've hated since I got the car almost as much as the ghetto *** ducting that fed it (turns out it was actually quite functional for as turbulent as it was). Over the winter I reverted to a stock 4th gen LT1 f body Spectra radiator with a much cleaner fabbed radiator shroud that doesn't require a roll of aluminum HVAC tape to seal. For my first 2 races, ambient hasn't left the 70s and the water has stayed in the 190-200 range. Car counts have also been low, so not much chasing. Oil on the other hand has been 290+. With the Afco, if coolant was 210 oil was 270. The concern that I have is if I end up chasing and coolant creeps into the 230 range, oil will be blow the motor up hot. A decent air to air cooler stuffed behind the radiator ought to shave ~40 degrees off of the oil, I just wonder how significant an effect I should expect it to have on coolant?
Old 05-21-2019, 10:03 PM
smitty2919
Safety Car

Received 2,028 Likes on 1,197 Posts

If you have an external oil cooler then oil/coolant temps start to not correlate any longer IMO. You can go the Improved racing thermostat and external cooler to keep oil temps at bay and consistent and rely on the radiator for coolant temps.

When the radiator has an integrated oil passage you can only get so much heat transfer out of the two fluids in that system. If keeping the integrated system, try to get as much coolant cooling you can and oil temps SHOULD stay at bay. If not then it may be time to go with an external cooler.
Old 05-22-2019, 07:36 AM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
Just hunting for a rule of thumb I seem to think I recall, but I don't trust my memory. When you reduce oil temps, coolant should follow, though to a much lesser extent. I want to say it was something like for every 8 degrees of oil temp reduction, you got 1 degree of water temp reduction? Or am I off my rocker? My old *** CMC Camaro with an LT1 used to have an Afco with integrated oil cooler that I've hated since I got the car almost as much as the ghetto *** ducting that fed it (turns out it was actually quite functional for as turbulent as it was). Over the winter I reverted to a stock 4th gen LT1 f body Spectra radiator with a much cleaner fabbed radiator shroud that doesn't require a roll of aluminum HVAC tape to seal. For my first 2 races, ambient hasn't left the 70s and the water has stayed in the 190-200 range. Car counts have also been low, so not much chasing. Oil on the other hand has been 290+. With the Afco, if coolant was 210 oil was 270. The concern that I have is if I end up chasing and coolant creeps into the 230 range, oil will be blow the motor up hot. A decent air to air cooler stuffed behind the radiator ought to shave ~40 degrees off of the oil, I just wonder how significant an effect I should expect it to have on coolant?
If you get rid of the oil heat load on the radiator? On my c7 I improved nearly 20°F of coolant.
Old 05-24-2019, 01:03 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow
If you get rid of the oil heat load on the radiator? On my c7 I improved nearly 20°F of coolant.
Did your C7 have an oil heat exchanger from the factory?
Old 05-24-2019, 02:31 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Did your C7 have an oil heat exchanger from the factory?
Yes but when I removed it, I got the results noted.
Old 05-24-2019, 11:41 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

I have more variables at work here. I had a large radiator with integral oil cooler that I replaced with just a stock radiator. Coolant temps are in check, but oil is way out there. My question pertains to a car completely without an oil cooler, what happens when you add one? Obviously oil temps drop, but does coolant appreciable also drop? My suspicion is that the drop in water temps will be insignificant.
Old 05-25-2019, 12:32 AM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

I have more variables at work here. I had a large radiator with integral oil cooler that I replaced with just a stock radiator. Coolant temps are in check, but oil is way out there. My question pertains to a car completely without an oil cooler, what happens when you add one? Obviously oil temps drop, but does coolant appreciable also drop? My suspicion is that the drop in water temps will be insignificant.
Yes. Because you're now cooling the engine with both oil and coolant. The most basic way to think about it is just surface area of heat exchangers to air. You basically traded oil cooling surface area with coolant cooling. No net gain.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil and Coolant Temp Relations

Quick Reply: Oil and Coolant Temp Relations