Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Oil Pressure Gauge with adjustable Warning Light

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2019, 06:24 AM
Spaggs
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Default C5 Oil Pressure Gauge with adjustable Warning Light

Has anyone installed a separate oil pressure gauge with an adjustable warning light in a C5? I would like to mount a gauge on the A pillar with a warning light that is either inside the gauge itself or separate? Would like it to come on when/if the pressure drops below, like 20 psi, to tell me if I need an Accusump. I can't bring myself to look away from the apex of a fast corner to look at the OEM gauge on the dash.

Thanks ahead of time.

Spaggs
Old 05-28-2019, 06:44 AM
Erik L
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

One option - I dont know if you thought of this is just the warning light. You can buy warning lights for exactly this purpose, they are adjustable and designed to wire into the oil pressure circuit. The race shops sell them. They are super easy to mount also.
Old 05-28-2019, 12:37 PM
smitty2919
Safety Car

Received 2,028 Likes on 1,197 Posts

I added a SpeedHut Revolution series gauge to my 95 Camaro for Oil Pressure, Oil Temp and Water Temp. Mostly because the stock gauges in the cluster somewhat suck and I didn't have an oil temp gauge.

I think it's just preference of how you want to be warned. I went with gauges to see what the value is AND to have a warning. If the stock gauges read fairly accurately, then all you need is a warning light like Erik L mentioned. The stock sending units have been known to go bad. With a completely separate sensor/circuit it doesn't matter if the stock sensor/wiring/cluster craps out. The Revolution series comes with a smaller self grounding sensor using 1/8" NPT threads that you can tap into a port on the block above the oil filter.

So you could buy a 5V reference warning light that would need to be programmable to come on at whatever voltage/pressure you wanted. Or buy a light that is pre-programmed to come on at "20 psi min". A simple LED is nice since you can mount it virtually anywhere without being too obtrusive to the view having gauge hang off the A pillar. You will just need to remember what the light is for if you see it

Last edited by smitty2919; 05-28-2019 at 12:38 PM.
Old 05-28-2019, 12:47 PM
Spaggs
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Thanks. That helps. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Take care.

Spaggs
Old 06-03-2019, 09:52 PM
Chets LS3
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Spa performance. Oil pressure and temp. With additional warning lights if desired

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Oil Pressure Gauge with adjustable Warning Light

Quick Reply: C5 Oil Pressure Gauge with adjustable Warning Light