Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Talk me into or out of Hankook RS4's

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 05:16 PM
evolmotorsprt
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Talk me into or out of Hankook RS4's

I'm getting my speed and comfort level up at the track (HPDE 3) and I've found I'm outdriving my tires. To fix this I bought 4 18"x9.5" OE C5 wheels to get tires specifically for the track. I'll be running somewhere around the stock size of 275/40/18. I was about to pull the trigger on a set of RS4's, but I thought I would consult those that have way more experience than me in this department. I want tires that will allow me to learn and talk to me. A set of RS4's is about $1000, so max budget $1500.

2002 C5, ~400WHP
Z51 Springs, DRM shocks, T1 Bars
Stock brakes with upgraded pads, fluid, ss lines
The following users liked this post:
dowroa (06-13-2019)
Old 06-14-2019, 02:27 AM
wtb-z
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Pluses:
* Last-gen R-comp capability dressed up in something that legitimately resembles a street tire
* Don't really overheat, consistent for a session after a lap to warm up
* Good wear rate, probably about as low a cost per lap as any trackable tire out there

Minuses:
* I wouldn't say it's an easy tire to learn to drive on. The RS4 feels sort of like a slightly stale marshmellow. Kind of vague, quiet, squishy but then firm but then squishy again. There is a definite peak grip point somewhere in the vagueness, and breakaway from that point can be surprisingly fast...or normal and progressive. That's from using a 285/18 on 10.5" wheels (both RS3 and RS4 flavours). Less wheel per section width probably won't help their manners.

Also, I would think a 275/40/18 will be taller than you want for the front of the car.
The following 2 users liked this post by wtb-z:
evolmotorsprt (06-17-2019), RedZeeOhSix (06-14-2019)
Old 06-14-2019, 07:52 AM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,753 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

I have no personal experience with the Hankook, but I have driven on the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500. For the money, it last a long time and has good grip. Its no RE-71R or Rival 1.5S in the grip department, but for someone still learning and expanding their skills the Firestones are a great value. Its better to be on a tire that allows you to slide a little and talk back to you like you mentioned.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:04 AM
Patrickd_21
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Honestly the RS-4 is a great tire. I've run RS-3 and 4 for years now, and everytime I try something else I regret it. I even slapped a set of Continental slick on the track car last year, and while the grip was great for the first 2 events, the slicks started to wear very fast and become hard and slippery. After 4 events, I went back to a set of new RS-4's and was 2 seconds faster on the RS-4's.
Old 06-14-2019, 11:28 AM
dclafleur
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

I ran the RS4's last year and I'm going to run them again this year. I can't speak to a lot of other tires but the grip is good, I haven't had any issues with them overheating, and they wear like iron.
Old 06-14-2019, 04:44 PM
evolmotorsprt
Instructor

Thanks guys for the responses. It gives me good info for what I’m getting myself into.

Originally Posted by wtb-z

Less wheel per section width probably won't help their manners.

Also, I would think a 275/40/18 will be taller than you want for the front of the car.
So would you recommend going 275 or 285/35/18 square?

Originally Posted by Kubs
I have no personal experience with the Hankook, but I have driven on the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500. For the money, it last a long time and has good grip. Its no RE-71R or Rival 1.5S in the grip department, but for someone still learning and expanding their skills the Firestones are a great value. Its better to be on a tire that allows you to slide a little and talk back to you like you mentioned.
Aren’t the Indy 500s a 300TW tire? That would put them more in the class of PSS which I’m running on the street. I’ve run the PSS at the track and the front end is great for like 3 turns and then they get really greasy. Are the Firestone’s different?
Old 06-14-2019, 06:32 PM
ticejon
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Any reason you didn't just go ahead and get 18x10.5 wheels? It seems to be the "go to" setup. You can also get a set of nt01 or something of that nature in the 315/30/18 size square for the price range you are looking at. If you are set on the 9.5" wide wheel I run 275/35/18 federal rs-rrs , and hopefully the rs-pros soon, they run fairly large for a 275 and you can pick up a set for $550 all around, they are loud on the street and poor in the wet, but dry grip is good, and they don't heat cycle out really, if pushed more than 20-25 mins they will get greasy depending on driving style, but a good cheap learner tire in a smaller size. In regards to RS-4, I've never really heard anything bad about them, They would be at the top of my list if I wasn't satisfied running the federals for 1/2 the cost or if i needed to daily my car or drive it in the rain really.

Last edited by ticejon; 06-14-2019 at 06:34 PM.
Old 06-14-2019, 06:34 PM
RedZeeOhSix
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Id go for the RS-4 if you are looking for more longevity and want something more street-able. They last a lot longer compared to other tires in the extreme summer performance category, and don't overheat. This is what you ultimately want if you want to get more seat time and time on track versus a tire that fires quickly in the first two laps, but then falls off a cliff and overheats i.e. RE71 / Rival 1.5S.

You want a tire that remains consistent for the ENTIRE session and that points to the RS-4. I'd also consider R-comps like the NITTO NT01's. They feel great (stiff carcus and sidewall), won't overheat, good to the cords, and should provide more audible feedback over the RS-4's. Not the most street-able tire, but good enough to drive to and from the track as long as there is no rain in the forecast. You can also run a second set of wheels just for the track.

FWIW, I noticed the older RS-3 compound provided more audible feedback in hotter weather and after a few heat cycles. The first two heat cycles had massive grip but had very little audible feedback.

I'm strongly considering RS-4 for my next tire purchase, but those pesky Federal RS-RR which are 300 dollars less is tempting. Still running staggered on my C5Z, and thinking 255 up front and a 275 or maybe a 285 in the back.

Last edited by RedZeeOhSix; 06-14-2019 at 06:38 PM.
Old 06-14-2019, 06:56 PM
Joshboody
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Love the federals... flat spotted my last set so not sure yet the life. Current set I’m thinking prob 6 days in wear and stickiness TBD. NT01s I get about 7 days before grip starts really falling off.
Old 06-15-2019, 01:02 AM
evolmotorsprt
Instructor

Originally Posted by ticejon
Any reason you didn't just go ahead and get 18x10.5 wheels? It seems to be the "go to" setup. You can also get a set of nt01 or something of that nature in the 315/30/18 size square for the price range you are looking at. If you are set on the 9.5" wide wheel I run 275/35/18 federal rs-rrs , and hopefully the rs-pros soon, they run fairly large for a 275 and you can pick up a set for $550 all around, they are loud on the street and poor in the wet, but dry grip is good, and they don't heat cycle out really, if pushed more than 20-25 mins they will get greasy depending on driving style, but a good cheap learner tire in a smaller size. In regards to RS-4, I've never really heard anything bad about them, They would be at the top of my list if I wasn't satisfied running the federals for 1/2 the cost or if i needed to daily my car or drive it in the rain really.
The reason I’m running 18x9.5” is because I already have 4 stock C5 rears and I didn’t want to pay the premium for Z06 wheels. This will be a track dedicated set of wheels and tires. I was looking into the rs-rr before the rs-4, but from reading it doesn’t look like they do that great for long sessions in high temps. That may be hearsay. Let me know if your experience is different.

Originally Posted by Joshboody
Love the federals... flat spotted my last set so not sure yet the life. Current set I’m thinking prob 6 days in wear and stickiness TBD. NT01s I get about 7 days before grip starts really falling off.
Only 7 days out of NT01s is less than I’d expect out of such a highly rated tire. Could you detail your experience with the rs-rr through a full session?

Originally Posted by RedZeeOhSix
Id go for the RS-4 if you are looking for more longevity and want something more street-able. They last a lot longer compared to other tires in the extreme summer performance category, and don't overheat. This is what you ultimately want if you want to get more seat time and time on track versus a tire that fires quickly in the first two laps, but then falls off a cliff and overheats i.e. RE71 / Rival 1.5S.

You want a tire that remains consistent for the ENTIRE session and that points to the RS-4. I'd also consider R-comps like the NITTO NT01's. They feel great (stiff carcus and sidewall), won't overheat, good to the cords, and should provide more audible feedback over the RS-4's. Not the most street-able tire, but good enough to drive to and from the track as long as there is no rain in the forecast. You can also run a second set of wheels just for the track.

FWIW, I noticed the older RS-3 compound provided more audible feedback in hotter weather and after a few heat cycles. The first two heat cycles had massive grip but had very little audible feedback.

I'm strongly considering RS-4 for my next tire purchase, but those pesky Federal RS-RR which are 300 dollars less is tempting. Still running staggered on my C5Z, and thinking 255 up front and a 275 or maybe a 285 in the back.
Thanks for this. I’m wondering if I’m over complicating things and I just need to pick a set and go.

I hear great things and not so great things about the federals. I’d love for them to be good because I could buy 2 sets for what rs-4’s or Nt-01’s would cost.
Old 06-15-2019, 10:10 AM
Joshboody
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

7 days is pretty good if you are driving hard, that’s 28 heat cycles. And prob 1 or 2 more days in wear. The 888 is about 6 days but with plenty of tread left.

The feds slow a little during a session, but remain solid... very predictable. No prob to slide around.
evolmotorsprt (06-17-2019)
Old 06-15-2019, 12:11 PM
RedZeeOhSix
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Another thing to consider, is learning to drive on an overheated tire. It’s a good skill to acquire IMO. Heck, if you can get good grip the first 10 minutes, then the second half of the session the tires are overheated, you are forced to learn to cope with it. An advanced driver will typically overheat tires faster than a noice or timid driver. Driving style and weather is also a big part of this as well.
evolmotorsprt (06-17-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 12:08 PM
evolmotorsprt
Instructor

I really appreciate all of your help and recommendations. I think I'm going to buy the Federals and finish out this season on the cheaper option. I was thinking about just getting the NT01's but I might as well continue to learn on a budget for now. If I do end up overheating the Federals in a session it'll help me to learn how to handle that situation. It'll probably happen because our track here in Utah can get extremely hot in the summer. Thanks again everyone!
Old 06-24-2019, 02:02 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,753 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by evolmotorsprt
Aren’t the Indy 500s a 300TW tire? That would put them more in the class of PSS which I’m running on the street. I’ve run the PSS at the track and the front end is great for like 3 turns and then they get really greasy. Are the Firestone’s different?
Yes they are a higher TW and thus less sticky, but they are cheap and still provide lots of grip. If you are still learning and improving your skills, it is better to be on a harder tire that lets you slide more so you can learn better car control at a lower grip level and less speed.

The Firestones will hold up better than 3 turns.
Old 06-24-2019, 02:22 PM
dowroa
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The problem with the Firestones is they don't come wider than 275 .If you are looking to run the 275s on a 9.5", this may not be an issue for you and may work. With 400 HP, I would personally feel under tired and would have a backup if that setup square caused issues with ABS.

With that stated, either the Federals or RS-4s come in 295 and would be my choice for a 265/295 combo on 18s all around if I am going for long wear life for HPDEs (but would be large for a 9.5").

I want to consider the Conti ExtremeContact Sports, but I believe it has been discussed they have a softer sidewall? Else, I believe they would be my top choice in a 265/295 18s for just 300+ TW tires that are safe on the street and don't cycle out (10.5").

Let us know what you went with!

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...ehawk+Indy+500

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...eContact+Sport

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...el=Ventus+R-S4

Last edited by dowroa; 06-25-2019 at 01:59 AM. Reason: re-focused on the 9.5" All the way around.

Get notified of new replies

To Talk me into or out of Hankook RS4's

Quick Reply: Talk me into or out of Hankook RS4's