Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Successful first ever HDPE event - huge thanks to UrbanKnight

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 11:46 PM
DIYBrad
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Successful first ever HDPE event - huge thanks to UrbanKnight

I just completed my first time on the track this weekend. I had the winning ticket with Brian (UrbanKnight) as my instructor for the weekend at Sebring with NASA. I bought a 2011 Z06 Carbon in December with expectations of some tracking. I built up this image in my head of what it was to run HPDE and i couldn’t have been more incorrect. The image in my head is that i would be in everyone’s way, holding up traffic and everyone would want me off the track and it almost made me not sign up. WRONG WRONG WRONG. Sign up every time.

I am a pretty humble dude but i put a lot of pressure on myself to not let anyone down (mainly myself). What i discovered this weekend was very refreshing. Young/old - Fast/slow - Rich/poor. We were all there for the exact same reason. The thrill of being able to take the car we are in too the limit we are comfortable with. Miata to McLaren, they are all fun at your limit. I am lucky enough to have an out of box track car so it may have made the weekend different than some.

Day one was interesting as i am sure it is for everyone. There wasn’t an ounce of consistency from one session to the next. I was blowing turn after turn but it didn’t matter and it still doesn’t. It’s in the past and even blowing a turn is fun if you keep rubber on the track. Brian talked me through the whole process and took the edge off at the very beginning. I was learning my car, learning myself and feeling great. I had set a couple of objectives for our fourth and final session for the day but the track had other ideas. We come out from grid for the warm up lap and all was well. I was set to work on a couple items that i saw as challenges from previous laps. Green comes out and i am working the line i have been shooting for all day. Clear 3-4-5 (not pretty FYI but 4 tires on) sweeping around 6 and heading into 7 is when my low tire pressure light comes on. I was hoping that it was a faulty sensor but they haven’t been wrong yet. I reached up and started toggling and at that point we were at 17psi. It was quickly dropping so i knew the session was over. This was at 5pm on Saturday so i expected my Sunday was done. I am running sport cup2s and i know no one has the size i need. The on site guy wont do a patch/plug so i had to go on the hunt. I called several places and no go. I got lucky that the local Tire Kingdom was willing to help me out. I was there for 27 minutes from pull up to pull out (she wishes).

Day Two.

This day taught me more than the last day. I realized that a single tire ruins a weekend but tenacity prevails. Patch/plug tire saved my Sunday and made me understand why i came out. So in the morning meeting with NASA, Jim talked about most of the “incidents” that happen are on the second day. Well today was about 108 heat index on the track and tires got greasy fast. We were on the first session and i was holding my lines very well. Unfortunately i have never felt greasy tires and 11 minutes into our session of me pushing pretty hard, i cooked turn 5 and had a little tank slapper. Back right dropped off but i was able to recover. Great learning experience but best to keep them all on the road.

Final Notes

Go do it. Stop getting in your own way.

Last edited by DIYBrad; 06-24-2019 at 08:56 AM.
The following users liked this post:
C5Z06CE (06-24-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 07:33 AM
andersnor
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

HPDE != racing, everyone is just there because they wanna have a good time.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:06 AM
rocsvette
Pro

Received 164 Likes on 94 Posts

I was instructing at Sebring on Friday with HOD and picked up a huge nail, sounds like Sebring needs a thorough cleaning. Patched & plugged my low mileage Pilot Sport but won’t track a plugged tire. Surprised you were allowed to run. Glad it was a successful weekend....it’s a slippery road from here, tires, brakes, more tires, more brakes....but one hell of a ride.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:32 AM
DIYBrad
Instructor

Originally Posted by rocsvette
I was instructing at Sebring on Friday with HOD and picked up a huge nail, sounds like Sebring needs a thorough cleaning. Patched & plugged my low mileage Pilot Sport but won’t track a plugged tire. Surprised you were allowed to run. Glad it was a successful weekend....it’s a slippery road from here, tires, brakes, more tires, more brakes....but one hell of a ride.
I was a little worried about running a patch/plug tire but that started on Saturday morning. I have had the Sport Cup 2s on for about a month now and i have had nails in two of them before i went to the track. A house is being built two lots down from me and i think they dump a box of nails in the street every morning. My wife has had two flats recently as well. From everything i have seen, as long as the patch/plug is more than 1.5 inch in from the side wall, Michelin says its okay to use them on the track. I now have plugs on three tires and not one lost air or had an issue. Is it best practice, i am sure it isn't, but i wasn't ready to spend another $1500 for three tires to get on the track. A guy running TTU two bays down from me picked up a tiny nail too.....Image above for some reason.

Last edited by DIYBrad; 06-24-2019 at 09:33 AM.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:48 AM
rocsvette
Pro

Received 164 Likes on 94 Posts

That looks a lot like what i picked up. Good to know that Michelin now says it’s ok. I lost 3 tires due to roofing screws down in Naples. With all the construction going on it’s like shooting craps now. Glad you had a good result.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:53 AM
DIYBrad
Instructor

It was also pretty cool that they did a great job of putting the Vettes and Camaro together.

Old 06-24-2019, 01:19 PM
moose.b3
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 128 Posts

That looks more like a bolt in your tire! Must have left a big hole to plug. I don't think I would have used that tire anymore on any track, let alone Sebring.

Old 06-24-2019, 01:46 PM
DIYBrad
Instructor

Originally Posted by moose.b3
That looks more like a bolt in your tire! Must have left a big hole to plug. I don't think I would have used that tire anymore on any track, let alone Sebring.
That wasn’t my tire. That was the tire of a guy 2 bays down from me and was immediately disposed of.

Last edited by DIYBrad; 06-24-2019 at 03:04 PM. Reason: i am a dingdong
Old 06-24-2019, 02:03 PM
C5Z06CE
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

Good to see new recruits enjoying this sport. We were all there once and we all felt the same way you do. Brian is a great guy and good instructor. He also knows how to drive Corvettes well. So you were in good hands. I was there this weekend too. Glad you enjoyed it. It was a good time but HOT as HELL!!

C5Z06CE
Old 06-25-2019, 03:44 PM
DIYBrad
Instructor

Brian showing off for the camera.

Basil2000 (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 10:50 PM
Basil2000
Drifting

Received 962 Likes on 498 Posts

Beautiful car. Glad you are having fun on the track
DIYBrad (06-26-2019)
Old 06-26-2019, 12:52 PM
DIYBrad
Instructor

Originally Posted by Basil2000
Beautiful car. Glad you are having fun on the track
Thank you. The previous owner kept it safe in the garage for me for the last 7 years. Now its time to stretch her legs.

Get notified of new replies

To Successful first ever HDPE event - huge thanks to UrbanKnight

Quick Reply: Successful first ever HDPE event - huge thanks to UrbanKnight