Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEW TO AUTO-X AND ROADRACING? look in here...

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 10:40 AM
Bad Dad
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by redhot400
I just completed my 1st year. Did 5 weekends with NASA,Southeast in a 14k 05 C6 Z51, 2 HPDE 1, 3 HPDE 2. Started with a second set of new track tires and set of 10.5 C5ZO6 rims on Toyo R888 tires 305 rear/265 front. Put Carbotech XP12 and XP10 pads front and rear. High temp Castrol REACT brake fluid and after 4 events added new front pads and new front rotors. Total cost $3460. Have used up 60% of tires. Plus 5 oil changes and two brake fluid changes. Not a cheap sport even on a low budget like mine. Oh add another $3500-$4500 for track fees, hotels, fuel, food etc. Oh add if you don't have a pickup someone can drive to the track with tools, tires, Jack etc. You'll need a friend to drive it and follow you to the track. It's definitely a commitment. And I didn't brake anything or spin or crash. But OMG I love it and I'm 3 years away from 70 years old! -

^^^^^^ This is why this thread is great I'm 56 and a beginner LOL
Old 12-05-2014, 10:43 AM
DannyBlake10
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

still reading through the post but thought id throw something in I learned from a guy that used to race Le Mans

He had me run the course for a few laps with no brakes. this made me really plan ahead and wow did it teach me how to pick a line. driving with no brakes makes you take the path of least resistance and that's the smoothest (only do this on an open empty track or where its safe)

after this when I came back full speed my times got significantly better and I could tell it was a lot easier on the car. much more natural feeling

also, somebody earlier touched on this, but try and learn to not coast through the corners. Another thing this guy taught me. try and stay on the throttle a little through a corner) under acceleration you move the CG farther to the rear of the car. this puts more pressure on the rear tires giving more traction helping to prevent the rear coming out in front of you in a hard corner. kinda hard to get used to at first
Old 02-04-2016, 06:15 PM
Guam135i
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, I have been autocrossing for a while now. I used to drive an 89' M3 then a Miata and last time it was Subaru STI then a Mitsubishi Evo RS most recent is my 135i.

I recently bought an 04 Z06 with 7.5K miles, it is completely stock. I ran it at the last autocross and it was very nice and powerful but I was sliding all over the place. The car still has the original tires and I think they are shot.

So my question is I plan to do a square set-up with the stock 18 x10.5 wheels for the rear and have them also in the front or do I just keep the stock set-up and just buy better rubber?What is the best tire and tire size someone has used for these widths (10.5 and stock) without rubbing on the fenders? Keeping in mind this is on Guam and there are really not enough participants to have different classes at this point.

What alignment numbers do most use for autocrossing? max neg camber front? rear?

Thanks

Last edited by Guam135i; 02-04-2016 at 06:21 PM.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:17 AM
360Lemans
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 158 Posts

Great info thanks
Old 06-24-2016, 12:54 PM
L8 APEX
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
Default First Auto X

2016 Z06/Z07 A8-- sport cup 2s
99% of my race experience is offroad
thanks in advance
I have read more than I can possibly absorb so just the basics for now
Tire pressure stagger front rear ?
PTM mode where to start
Old 03-12-2017, 03:18 PM
R_W
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Earlier someone mentioned "Martial Arts shoes" as a good choice for footwear. I'll agree. I have found wrestling / mat shoes work well. $35 for a pair of Asics with a thin, grippy rubber sole, and are perfect for heel & toe driving.

Old 06-23-2017, 01:13 AM
glassport
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WOT99FRC
These are a couple of really good web sights for those who have been bitten.

Basics in road racing.
http://www.turnfast.com/tech_intro/intro.lasso

The Physics of racing; a great series of articles. Includes cool stuff like slip (grip) angle
http://phors.locost7.info/contents.htm

The turn fast link isn't there, but the physics of racing is a lot of great info. Getting car ready for first hpde class. Trying to learn as much as I can before I go. Great to see so many people share info and lessons learned ( saving us newbies a lot of time, money, and frustration) for love of cars and sport.

Thanks!!
Old 07-01-2017, 02:15 PM
TalonDG
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey gang,

For those who have enjoyed Autocross to Win (http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets.html) over the years, I have good news!

It is now a book on Amazon! Paperback and Kindle versions.

Enjoy!

Amazon Amazon
Old 07-04-2017, 06:00 AM
okaythen
Melting Slicks

Received 166 Likes on 148 Posts

question about ron fellows driving school in spring mountain for new owners, is it possible to learn most of the stuff from youtube, forum, etc? the level 1 and level 2 classes.

I am thinking you can but the school is geared more toward vette and will explain things specifically about vette, like electronic aides etc? Just got a new vette and wondering if I want to go or save few bucks by other methods like youtube, forum, etc.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:30 PM
OregonMike
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts

Haven't made it all the way through this thread yet, just found it, but I appreciate all the info. Going to try my first ever autocross tomorrow in my new C6. Been driving pickups & motorcycles since I learned of this sport/hobby/habit.

Thanks for all the posts!
Old 04-19-2019, 12:45 AM
mister2
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by okaythen
question about ron fellows driving school in spring mountain for new owners, is it possible to learn most of the stuff from youtube, forum, etc? the level 1 and level 2 classes.

I am thinking you can but the school is geared more toward vette and will explain things specifically about vette, like electronic aides etc? Just got a new vette and wondering if I want to go or save few bucks by other methods like youtube, forum, etc.
Assuming an individual has never been in any performance/competitive situation involving cars at speed, then yes, even the internet can give useful information/tips. But ultimately, it's the driver and his car. In real terms: seat time and possibly, participating in, if not principally performing, the maintenance/performance work on the car. Ideally, the car should feel like an extension of the body.

Having said that, if you have friends, preferably regional or national champions, who are willing to share some of their classroom knowledge and are willing to coach you when you do autocross/track days, that's how you can save money. Scrimping on seat time and passing up opportunities to save money won't get you anywhere. Pick the most cost-effective starting point. One doesn't have to start with roadracing, which can get very expensive with a car like the Corvette. But autocrossing may be a good place to get started. Also check with your local Corvette club or SCCA Region for Evolution 1 /2 where ~$275 buys you a day of coaching with national autocross champions. Simulators can be excellent learning aids if done with correct supervision. When you get good enough, you will be in a better position to decide if you want to move up to wheel-to-wheel racing in all its various forms. Lots of stuff out there if one researches.

Bottom line is: like playing a musical instrument by ear, one can get "good enough" over the years, just from attending many events and getting casual tips and observations from various competitors. But the learning curve and achievement level can be shortened and elevated dramatically with qualified instruction and (lots of) structured practice.

Last edited by mister2; 04-19-2019 at 12:47 AM.
Old 04-19-2019, 03:47 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by okaythen

The Ron Fellowes school at SMMP is the best instruction setting I have ever attended. I went on a discount after I bought my Z06 and bought my V car with 1426 miles on it so got no discount but paid full boat and attended 2 weeks ago. Same instructors just running West loop where the Corvette Owners school runs East loop. It is worth every penny, but if you bought a qualifying car and can go for a grand, do it. You will not regret it. It is possible to learn other ways? Sure, but not as quickly nor as thoroughly in a simple 2 day session. Frankly I have never seen a post on here or the Cadillac V forums that didn't state that this was the best instructive experience any attendee has ever experienced. High praise indeed. Rick Malone, the chief instructor has put together a great curriculum and has hired many outstanding instructors.
The following users liked this post:
Woodson (07-11-2019)
Old 04-19-2019, 09:47 PM
mister2
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by R_W
Earlier someone mentioned "Martial Arts shoes" as a good choice for footwear. I'll agree. I have found wrestling / mat shoes work well. $35 for a pair of Asics with a thin, grippy rubber sole, and are perfect for heel & toe driving.

Probably one of the best kept secrets of people who don't want to pay extra for the formstrip or the star. Rubber soles give excellent traction and may need getting used to, if you've learned H&T with other shoes. Also, try not to walk the course in them....
Old 06-19-2020, 10:22 PM
2002 C5
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

New to Road Racing, some of the links that have been kindly added no loner work, any help? Thank you for all the info here as well. I attended at my first Track Night yesterday, learned some things, and some of the info here made plenty of sense now...

Quick Reply: NEW TO AUTO-X AND ROADRACING? look in here...