Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it really necessary to open the bleeder screw when pushing the pistons back?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2004, 12:02 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Default Is it really necessary to open the bleeder screw when pushing the pistons back?

Never done this and have had no ill effects. Watching Speed channel and they had a how-two on Dreamcar Garage... they said you could damage the ABS stuff by not opening the bleeder screw and pishing the fluid up stream... true? What do you all do?
Old 10-06-2004, 12:08 AM
Richin Chicago
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
Never done this and have had no ill effects. Watching Speed channel and they had a how-two on Dreamcar Garage... they said you could damage the ABS stuff by not opening the bleeder screw and pishing the fluid up stream... true? What do you all do?

Either I am very lucky or it is not true.
Old 10-06-2004, 12:29 AM
tigerdrvr
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ ditto. Never done it, never had a problem...yet.
Old 10-06-2004, 09:31 AM
MNCrystalRed2011
Pro

Originally Posted by Richin Chicago
Either I am very lucky or it is not true.
Never had a problem.
Old 10-06-2004, 09:43 AM
Cisitalia
Racer

You don't have to open the bleed screw to compress the pistons. I use very large channel locks with a brake pad across both front pistons. Don't need a pad on the single rear piston. You can use a large C clamp as well.

Essentially it is an open system. You have to be carefull with a full brake fluid reservoir and totally used pads (when changing to new pads), that you don't compress all 4 calipers and over flow the reservoir. When you compress the piston, the pressure causes fluid to flow through the system and ends up filling the brake fluid reservoir. The ABS system is just a DC motor and high pressure pump. Fluid back flows through the pump. I don't see this being a problem in a static situation. Its not like the system is being activated "on" and you have opposite pressures fighting each other.

That being said, from a technical stand point, it is probably the most conservative way to open the bleed screw and compress the pistons. That way no fluid goes up stream (or pressurization upstream) and the least path of resistance is out the bleed screw. This would be a good idea if you are changing pads and don't want to take out some fluid in the brake reservoir.

In reality it is not necessary and I (including many, many others) do not open the bleed screw when compressing caliper pistons. No detrimental effects so far, including my Z06 and many other cars.
Old 10-06-2004, 11:43 AM
z060ntrack
Drifting

Use Speed Bleeders and this question becomes a moot issue.
Old 10-06-2004, 11:54 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,396 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
I think they're referring to a situation where you might have boiled fluid and could push bubbles up into the ABS system. That would be a BAD thing.

OTOH, by opening the bleed screw, you:

a. Eliminate the risk of overflowing your master cylinder
b. Remove a good percentage of the most used fluid in the brake system.

It's not as good as a good system bleed, but it's better than not doing a bleed at all.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 10-06-2004, 01:08 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

The fluid in the calipers is the most contaminated and if you don't open the bleeder screw when you compress the piston, you run the risk of damaging the ABS sensor by sending this contaminated fluid to the sensor instead of out of the bleeder screw.

Whether it damages the ABS sensor is the questionionable, but I'm not willing to risk it, so I open the bleeder screw. BTW.. I also have speedbleeders, so I don't run the risk of sucking air back in the system when I do this.

X
Old 10-06-2004, 05:07 PM
2K3Z06
Burning Brakes

Location: KADS- If it has wings or an engine, I can break it. Dallas TX
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The service manual does not mention to open the bleeders when changing pads. If ABS damage was possible, it would probably be stated in the service manual.

cheers
Old 10-06-2004, 05:20 PM
Richin Chicago
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 2K3Z06
The service manual does not mention to open the bleeders when changing pads. If ABS damage was possible, it would probably be stated in the service manual.

cheers
I also don't think the fluid would be contaminated. Scorched maybe. But a good bleed would get that.
Old 10-06-2004, 06:27 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Thanks for the replies, I do have speed bleeders, they're great.
Old 10-06-2004, 09:04 PM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

the purpose of opening the bleeder, is so your don't push all the crud and "bad" fluid up stream. and pushing the piston in becomes much easier.

I've never heard the ABS theory before, just the crud theory.

I've been doing it since I heard about it a few years ago. but for many years I never done it and never damaged an ABS componet.

Get notified of new replies

To Is it really necessary to open the bleeder screw when pushing the pistons back?

Quick Reply: Is it really necessary to open the bleeder screw when pushing the pistons back?