Notices
C1 & C2 Corvettes for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used Classic Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes

FS-63 BB Roadster project

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 01:09 AM
JC6372
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default FS-1963-67 BB Corvette Roadster project

Hi guys, some of you have seen this on here a little while back. I've decided to let the whole thing go due to a house needing built and getting married. I figured that I would let you guys have a crack at it for a few days before I send it to evil E-bay. This is the E bay description that I wrote for it so bear with me. The price is at the bottom and its firm. If you are SERIOUSLY interested and want more pics or info, please e-mail. If you are not interested in buying it and just want to make comments or bash, (unless its a bump ttt PLEASE kindly PM me. E-mail is W72@comcast.net Thanks in advance!

This is a 63 roadster project that I have started to turn into a 67 BB clone. When I originally bought the car 3 years ago, It was rolling on its welded up original frame and had a 283 in it from another car. The original 327 was long gone. I removed this motor and ran a 350 in it for a summer then decided to work on the suspension in the winter. I quickly figured out that I was going to have to get another frame for it so I bought a complete 65 chassis for it and decided to put a punched out 454 in it and turn it into a 67 big block clone. It has power brakes and steering and converted to 4 wheel discs.

I stripped the frame down and had it blasted, primed and painted. I’m not sure what type of paint was used but it is good quality. The frame is really solid but not perfect. We welded some plates to the underside of the front cross member due to thin metal. Someone before me put extra welds on all the seams probably to make it stronger for racing. The rear of the frame was kicked up a little but was pulled back down so the mounts line up with the bumper brackets and etc. The guy that I bought it from said that there was a body mounted to it and it sat straight. The rest of the frame is near perfect from being from a southern dry climate. I then proceeded to build the 65 chassis. It has 72 disc brake spindles, power steering and sway bar set up with new control valve and all new bushings, ball joints and tie rod ends. All pieces blasted and painted black. The calipers and pads are all new or near new and the rotors are near new. It has stainless steel brake and fuel lines set up for 67 style. It has a newer gas tank with new strap set.

The rear suspension was assembled with heavy duty half shafts, new u joints, heavy duty diff case with fresh 3.91 gears and an Austin posi unit. It has a good set of heavy duty side yokes. The trailing arms have new bushings and bearings. I had a the shaft cut and balanced with new heavy duty u-joints and new front wide spline yoke. (paid big $$$ for that shaft and yoke!)

I set it up for a 67 style e-brake and it comes with a 67 style handle that is used but in decent shape.

This car was originally Ermine white with blue interior. I’m about 90% sure of that combo. The serial number plate is there but the trim tag looks to have been melted mostly off probably due to a bong accident back in the 70's! I can see the paint code as Ermine white though. The car has a PA antique title/plate that is clean and in my name. If you live in PA, this plate will transfer to you for a $70 fee from the state.

The body was modified back in the 70's with mini flares and 6 tail lights. The mini flares were actually installed pretty well. It’s sitting on the frame and not bolted on. It has 2 or three layers of paint on it. The red paint that is on it now is probably about 20 years old and no good. The doors are complete manual window doors with non tint glass from a 67 convertible with 1 layer of paint on them. The headlight buckets and motors are included and worked. The windshield wiper assembly and heater fan/core are included. The front glass is good. I painted the underside black but it is not a pro job. The pans and underside of the car are decent with some repairs but not major. It has the "tool boxes" under the seats. I also welded a new passenger cage rail into it but its not a pro job either. Its real sturdy and aligned though. The rest of the cage is solid. I cut fiberglass away in a manner that most would not to expose the metal rail but this can be glassed back in. That’s the beauty of fiberglass! The fiberglass underneath the paint should all be ok it all looks good enough for driver quality. There is a small chunk of fiberglass broken off down on the driver rear quarter but I have the piece. The dash is in good shape with just a few small cracks on the front edge of the passenger side.

It has a 75-81 454 block cast #14045445 that is rebuilt and bored to 468 that is currently installed. I bought this motor from an estate sale. I was told that it was built at a respectable speed shop. I don’t have receipts or documentation of how or what it was built with. It’s never been fired since being built. I pulled the heads and pan and looked inside and everything looks good and brand new. The heads cast #336781. They look fresh and have stock rockers. I put a new high volume oil pump in it. The motor is bolted to the frame with new mounts. I bought a real nice new set of 67 style repro valve covers with drippers jut like the originals. It has a new Edlebrock aluminum intake. I installed a fresh (but not new, probably 2000 light mi on it) 11 inch Borg and Beck clutch and plate and bearing. Clutch fork and z-bar setup. Stock aluminum bell housing. Nice Hooker headers hooked up to a 2.5 inch chambered exhaust system.

The tranny is a Muncie built to M22 specs. It is fresh built. I bought it from a friend of mine that had it built but never used it. All shifter linkage and Hurst shifter included.

Here is a list of all the goodies included:
-New 63 complete wiring harness
-Nice set of 64 seats and tracks with dark blue covers that are in great shape for resale
-Real nice 65-7 dash cluster that is not rebuilt but in great shape and everything should work
-new ignition switch
-all switches (63)
-decent set of red 67 style inner door panels with hard to find chrome trim
-original AM radio
-nice glove box assembly that I think is 67 style
-Gen 2 GM big block hood in nice shape with hinges and prop
-all bumpers and brackets. Bumpers are good cores
-decent 66-67 style radiator support that has a small crack/bend and has new lower brackets welded on but very useable for street rod purpose
-real nice used OEM 67 outside door handles
-NEW black carpet set (lighter grade)
-70s vette rally wheels w/o rings and centers with nearly new off label 235 tires
-used power steering pump in nice shape
-crank pulley
-new plug wire set
-Hooker headers
-chambered exhaust with tips
-rear valence
-exhaust and license bezel in pitted condition
-nice 67 filler door
-nice soft top setup that will need new vinyl
-66-67 OEM style big block fan shroud in nice shape
-new mini starter
-63 body mount kit
-67 style steering wheel (core) in rough shape and original 63 column
-original 63 power brake booster
-new 67-72 master cylinder for 4 wheel disc brake
-original tail light assemblies (no reverse light style) and front turn assemblies that are pitted
-horns
-water pump pulleys

Here’s a list of stuff that I can think of that is missing:
-front grille
-proportioning valve
-radiator (if BIN is used I’ll throw in a brand new 4 core aluminum)
-inside door skins
-distributor
-carburetor (850 Holley avail at extra cost)
-air cleaner setup
-some screws and bolts
-power steering pulley
-fuel pump
-alternator/brackets
-fuel sending unit
-clock
-center console
-seat belts
-radiator cooling fan
-spare tire tub
-rocker moldings
-e-brake console

This mid-year project could make be a great and period correct hot rod when finished. It is mostly complete with only a few parts missing. Please feel free to ask questions about something that I may have missed above. $20500 as listed above or $19000 without motor and trans. The car is located at my house that is about 1/2 hr south of Pittsburgh, PA.

Last edited by JC6372; 03-25-2006 at 05:26 PM. Reason: title change

Quick Reply: FS-63 BB Roadster project