Notices
C1 & C2 Corvettes for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used Classic Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes

Looking for a Midyear driver / project... Where do I look?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2001, 11:48 AM
Michael Hampson
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a Midyear driver / project... Where do I look?

I just completed the sale of my '68 restoration and I am now looking for another car. This time I think I would like a driver... The frame off was fun, but I was afraid to drive it much.

Anyway, looking for a midyear small block. I will pay up to $20K or so. Driveable or not. I've let a few slip past in the last few weeks because I wasn't familiar with them enough to make an offer, but I'm getting better. I've got a couple I'm looking at now too... just trying to find the time/resources to take a trip to look at them.

I'd prefer originality over customization, and expect a driveable car if its NOM. Documentation is nice. Prefer a convertible. No color preference.

Any ideas on where else to look? I've been looking at eBay and Collector Car Trader on a regular basis. I know there are dozens of good sites, but I just don't know them all...

Michael
Old 08-19-2001, 11:31 AM
ZEEEE06
Safety Car

Location: PERCUSSIVE MAINTENANCE: The art of whacking the crap out of an electronic device to get it to work.
Received 741 Likes on 292 Posts

Default Re: Looking for a Midyear driver / project... Where do I look? (Michael Hampson)

Hemmings Motor News is loaded with Vettes for sale.
Old 08-19-2001, 09:48 PM
joevette57
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Looking for a Midyear driver / project... Where do I look? (ZEEEE 06)

Trader online is another good place to start. Then if you're free next weekend, there's always Carlisle.
Old 08-19-2001, 09:52 PM
Michael Hampson
Cruising

Default Re: Looking for a Midyear driver / project... Where do I look? (joevette57)

I was just looking a plane fares to Philly, DC, Harrisburg, and Baltimore, to go to Carlisle this weekend. Any other airports within driving distance?
Old 08-20-2001, 09:49 AM
67's
Le Mans Master

Received 381 Likes on 267 Posts

Default Re: Looking for a Midyear driver / project... Where do I look? (Michael Hampson)

Roadtrip :D :D :D
Old 08-20-2001, 03:15 PM
thejaf
Melting Slicks

I was just looking a plane fares to Philly, DC, Harrisburg, and Baltimore, to go to Carlisle this weekend. Any other airports within driving distance?
Harrisburg is your best bet, only 30 minutes from fairgrounds. Others in the area are ABE and Baltimore.
Old 08-20-2001, 06:36 PM
Michael Hampson
Cruising

Default Re: Looking for a Midyear driver / project... Where do I look? (thejaf)

I'll try them! TOO FAR TO DRIVE! I'm a type A guy, sitting in the car for 12 hours would drive me :crazy: insane er.
Old 08-21-2001, 05:42 PM
joevette57
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Mike,
From Tampa, my cheapest route is to fly Tampa to Baltimore. From there it's a 90 minute drive. Being last minute, try price line and
Hotwire for last minute deals. Either that or..... Road trip. Sunday is the day to be there for the best buys.
Sunday afternoon when it's time to load that car back on the trailer, price tend to drop drasticly.
Old 08-21-2001, 11:02 PM
Smokim
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Michael,

There's a corvette dealer in Tucker, GA. that has some midyears for sale..
I know he's got several and they may be in your price range. Might be worth a look. Dealer's name is American Sportscar. :chevy
Old 08-22-2001, 03:23 PM
Shark01
Drifting

The is also a guy named Mike in Ky that always has mid-years under 20k. He places ads in Hemmings.
Old 09-03-2001, 09:31 PM
dctrip
Heel & Toe

Michael, Here is the URL for web sites I used to find my mid-year. I also looked at the electronic edition of newspapers in our area http://www.collectorcartraderonline.com/ http://www.vettefinders.com/ http://www.corvetteclassifieds.com/ This is the site where I first noticed the '65 I purchased. It also showed up 3 weeks later in the electronic edition of the Dallas Morning News and had been reduced in price.

Good Luck!!!

Old 09-06-2001, 03:13 AM
corvette6769
Instructor

I am planning to part with my 1967 Corvette Sport Coupe Tri-Power 427 - 400 hp. Tank Sticker still on tank. Front end damaged 24 years ago, stored ever since 1977. The engine numbers do not match but the rest of the drivetrain and car is very original and unmolested. I am the 2nd owner and this is the first time this car has EVER been offered for sale. Priced for swift private sale by owner. I have posted more of the details about this Corvette on my home page. To view the web page, please visit: http://www.corvetteforum.net/c5/corvette6769/index.shtml

Thank You.
Old 09-06-2001, 09:42 PM
Michael Hampson
Cruising

Default Re: Looking for a Midyear driver / project... Where do I look? (corvette6769)

I would go to great lengths to get ahold of an original car like that to put back together. I hate to say I just don't have the resources at the moment, though. I get a little closer each year, but I'm just 30 now, and have a ways to go. I think the reserve along would break me, and then I wouldn't have the cash to put it together.

Good luck selling.

Michael
Old 09-07-2001, 05:35 AM
corvette6769
Instructor

Hang in there my friend, I was 27 when I finally overcame the money hump. It seemed every year I would go to the Bloomington Gold Corvette Show (45 minutes from my home) with a pocket full of savings that I had worked all year to increase from the prior year, just to find myself $1000 short another year. It seemed that I was always behind the curve as the cars were appreciating faster than my savings were. Finally I spotted my 1969 convertible in a local newspaper and had enough cash to buy it.

One word of advice.....I have always searched for un-molested and well-preserved original cars for my collection. Furthermore, I have always preferred to buy a car that had not been previously “restored” as I preferred to see exactly what I was getting and know that it was genuine. In most cases, I have sought cars that came equipped from the factory with as many of the most desirable options as possible (especially performance options). Quite often I have found a "bargain" priced car to end up ultimately costing much more in the long run by the time I got it finished. And remember it costs virtually the same to restore a Big Block car as a small block car but the more desirable big block car is worth twice as much as it's little brother of the same quality. Same holds true for a more desirable year like a 1967 over a 1965-1966.
Old 09-07-2001, 05:49 PM
396 RAT
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=146590
Old 09-20-2001, 11:26 PM
corvette6769
Instructor

Hello Michael,

You have mail. :bs

:flag
Old 09-24-2001, 03:38 PM
BlackTieC5
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Looking for a Midyear driver / project... Where do I look? (rascal103)

Ask for Greg Rush at the American Sportscar Center.........

Michael,

There's a corvette dealer in Tucker, GA. that has some midyears for sale..
I know he's got several and they may be in your price range. Might be worth a look. Dealer's name is American Sportscar. :chevy

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for a Midyear driver / project... Where do I look?

Quick Reply: Looking for a Midyear driver / project... Where do I look?