Notices
C1 & C2 Corvettes for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used Classic Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes

Check it out! 638 HP 1966 vintage race car with trailer and many extras

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 01:14 PM
suicide king
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check it out! 638 HP 1966 vintage race car with trailer and many extras

I am listing this car for a friend who lives in Tampa, Florida as well.
You can contact me here on the forum or you can contact Rob with
the phone #s listed below.

Description:

I purchased and began racing this documented vintage racer in 1989. In 1990 a friend, Pat Dekle purchased 50% of the vehicle and then in 1991 purchased the remaining ½. Pat began a very expensive complete makeover of the vehicle. It was his goal to have the Nation’s Fastest Legal Production Vehicle in its class. The car was shipped to Walt Preston Engineering. Walt transformed the vehicle and its handling. The car is now perfectly balanced with 25% of the weight on each tire. It was designed to run the longer vintage endurance races which run 1-3 hours. It has an extra large fuel cell and dry sump oil reservoir. Over the next few years with extensive testing and re-fabrication, this vehicle became a dominating vintage racer. Everything used in this vehicle is the best of the best and still is completely legal in SVRA and all other vintage racing associations.

In 2005, I purchased the vehicle back from Pat Dekle after he had retired from racing. I had Boyd Racing Engines of Orlando, Florida find a seasoned block. Boyd built a 350 based 410 Cubic Inch Dry Sump. The motor has only Dyno Time and has a documented 638 HP. The car was taken to Tampa, Florida’s premier paint and body man, Gene Perez, where all the panels were refitted and trued. The paint is from Lamborghini with a purple base coat. The track meter is the only thing known that does not work, as it lacks a cable drive off of the distributor. There is a three volume set of manuals documenting everything that has been done to the racecar.

THIS VEHICLE IS COMPLETELY RACE READY!

Spares:

Bell racing helmet
Simson racing seat with belts
Complete set of tires and wheels
3 Front spoilers, painted
2 Wind screens
2 Rear suspension arms
2 Front suspension arms
Brake pressure gauges
2 Sets of Wildood brake systems
Ring and pinion 3.55
Coleman brake rotors set (cryogenic treated)
2 Rear sway bars
1 Rear end housing unit with 3.36 gear
MSD tester
Universal joints
Ring and pinion 4.11
2 Rear hubs
Carburetor rebuild kit with jets
Aluminum 5 gallon quick fill gas can with holder
2 Chrome side pipes
Ball joint & suspension components
Heavier springs
Ring and pinion 3.73
Multiple spare Bearings, rubber bushings and bumpers
Misc. fasteners
Brake pads

Enclosed trailer includes metal ramps, winch system, 12 volt power, and complete new brake system.

410 cu small block
638 HP
Documented vintage racer
Deleloped by Walt Preston Engineering
Perfect body & Paint by Gene Perez
Tons of spares w/enclosed trailer

$50,000.00

Come on over to see it. or if you need more pic just let me know.

PLEASE CONTACT ME WITH ANY QUESTIONS.

ROB CARR

813.739.6599 – OFC

813.363.7917 – CELL

ROB@FLMED.COM

Last edited by suicide king; 02-22-2007 at 06:07 PM.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:14 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,057 Posts

I can't afford it, but I REALLY like it.

Rich
Old 02-22-2007, 05:36 PM
Vogie
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Me like, me want, me broke.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:11 PM
suicide king
Racer

If we all collected 800 cans each week for 30 years we can get this car no problem
Old 02-22-2007, 08:48 PM
Mark_Milner
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts

I hate to post this because someone will take it as a negative, but this is a perfect example of why many have left SVRA vintage racing - there isn't much of anything "vintage" about that car.

It was his goal to have the Nation’s Fastest Legal Production Vehicle in its class.
There is so many SCCA Production class violations, it isn't funny. Those flares were never legal pre-1973 (maybe 1975), 410 cid was never a legal Corvette engine size, that cage is hardly a vintage design, Wildwood brakes were never legal until 1981 with the GT1 class, and so on.

But it looks pretty. And I bet it is fast.

So what logbooks are with it? What numbers are stamped in the roll cage? When does the logbook begin? (first dates, initial inspection?)

What is its history?
Old 02-25-2007, 06:33 PM
suicide king
Racer

Originally Posted by Mark_Milner
I hate to post this because someone will take it as a negative, but this is a perfect example of why many have left SVRA vintage racing - there isn't much of anything "vintage" about that car.

There is so many SCCA Production class violations, it isn't funny. Those flares were never legal pre-1973 (maybe 1975), 410 cid was never a legal Corvette engine size, that cage is hardly a vintage design, Wildwood brakes were never legal until 1981 with the GT1 class, and so on.

So what logbooks are with it? What numbers are stamped in the roll cage? When does the logbook begin? (first dates, initial inspection?)

What is its history?

Thanks for looking. If you need more info or want to look at the books please call the phone number listed.

Thanks again,
TK
Old 03-11-2007, 01:54 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

What is its history?
as of a few years ago pre 73 "history" is no longer required to race SVRA group 6 ....you are correct however the 410" and Wilwoods are not allowed.....
...redvetracr

PS: To Mark Milner...you need to go to an SVRA event...times (and rules) have changed

Last edited by redvetracr; 03-11-2007 at 01:57 PM.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:23 AM
mjs-13
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great HSR (Historic Sportcar Racing) car. There you can run the Wilwoods!
Old 03-13-2007, 01:51 PM
Mark_Milner
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by redvetracr
as of a few years ago pre 73 "history" is no longer required to race SVRA group 6 ....you are correct however the 410" and Wilwoods are not allowed.....
...redvetracr

PS: To Mark Milner...you need to go to an SVRA event...times (and rules) have changed
Notice I said SCCA Production class violations, not SVRA. If the idea of vintage racing is to be what the cars were in the '60s and '73 time frame, then they shoud be following the '72 and back SCCA GCR.

If you want a car with the Wilwoods, the C5 suspension, the engine built in "a little shop in Concord, NC", and so on, then why not race currect SCCA? Use an old body, if you like, but there you can do modifications like brakes, suspensions, and so on.

I heard recently from several former vintage racers that they were fed up with SVRA, too much modern technology in a "vintage" event. And that this is a large part of the reason for stuff like the 2005 RA crash.

I used to get upset with some vintage groups who required a car prepped to its year, i.e., 1959 car to 1959 rules, a 1969 car to 1969 rules, etc., when many of these cars didn't race new, but after they were a couple of years old when racers could afford them. Instead of racing a $6000 new Corvette, race a $2000 old Corvette. After all, a '63 Corvette prepped to 1970 rules is still in that time period.

And I don't think verifiable pre-1973 history is (was) really needed. A lot of those old race cars were scrapped or restored as street cars when the money went big. A 1966 car prepped to pre-'73 rules is good enough.

But prepping with a 2007 engine, 2007 brakes, and so on doesn't make a '66 car anywhere near vintage. Heck, when is some deep pockets guy going to buy a C5R and slap '69 fiberglass around the outside?
Old 03-13-2007, 02:01 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Notice I said SCCA Production class violations, not SVRA. If the idea of vintage racing is to be what the cars were in the '60s and '73 time frame, then they shoud be following the '72 and back SCCA GCR.

If you want a car with the Wilwoods, the C5 suspension, the engine built in "a little shop in Concord, NC", and so on, then why not race currect SCCA? Use an old body, if you like, but there you can do modifications like brakes, suspensions, and so on.

I heard recently from several former vintage racers that they were fed up with SVRA, too much modern technology in a "vintage" event. And that this is a large part of the reason for stuff like the 2005 RA crash.

I used to get upset with some vintage groups who required a car prepped to its year, i.e., 1959 car to 1959 rules, a 1969 car to 1969 rules, etc., when many of these cars didn't race new, but after they were a couple of years old when racers could afford them. Instead of racing a $6000 new Corvette, race a $2000 old Corvette. After all, a '63 Corvette prepped to 1970 rules is still in that time period.

And I don't think verifiable pre-1973 history is (was) really needed. A lot of those old race cars were scrapped or restored as street cars when the money went big. A 1966 car prepped to pre-'73 rules is good enough.

But prepping with a 2007 engine, 2007 brakes, and so on doesn't make a '66 car anywhere near vintage. Heck, when is some deep pockets guy going to buy a C5R and slap '69 fiberglass around the outside?
first off I am NOT a fan of the SVRA...that said the rules have been updated/modified way past what was allowed in 1972 for different reasons one being reliability and yes improved reliability can and generally does improve horsepower....you also have the "old guy with loads of disposable income" syndrome where technology (read money) helps an average driver look like a hero.
on the subject of the BRIC crash it had NOTHING TO DO WITH THE CARS...NOTHING. I was in the race (p-3) my sig pic IS the pace lap from 2005, some stupid people did some stupid things, like the Camaro guy moving over to the center to gain an advantage and causing the crash BUT the race director (who is the CEO of R/A) decided he wanted a 50 mph start but waited until the cars were on the grid to tell ONLY the front row...there were almost 50 cars in the race BUT only the front row knew about 50 mph???...I was in P-3 and he did not say a word about it to me when he came and shook my hand as he usually does...or the pace car driver that let the field get strung out so guys were passing and changing lanes BEFORE corner 14....or the starter who waited until the last moment to throw the flag (I know the started is NEVER responsible).....take 200 hp away from ever car in the field and if the same errors are made the end result will be the same. I am also what your friends think of the TV car built from a burned out street car by Peter Klutt (of Dream car garage fame) the windshield is tipped down and the motor is move back 4-6 inches....but but but the SVRA has declared it gr-6 legal??
...redvetracr

PS: my sig pic IS from the pace lap of the `05 BRIC

Last edited by redvetracr; 03-13-2007 at 03:05 PM.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:51 PM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by suicide king
I purchased and began racing this documented vintage racer in 1989.
Over the next few years with extensive testing and re-fabrication, this vehicle became a dominating vintage racer. Everything used in this vehicle is the best of the best and still is completely legal in SVRA and all other vintage racing associations.

In 2005, I purchased the vehicle back from Pat Dekle after he had retired from racing. I had Boyd Racing Engines of Orlando, Florida find a seasoned block. Boyd built a 350 based 410 Cubic Inch Dry Sump. The
The track meter is the only thing known that does not work, as it lacks a cable drive off of the distributor. There is a three volume set of manuals documenting everything that has been done to the racecar.

THIS VEHICLE IS COMPLETELY RACE READY!

Really? Where is the roll bar padding? And the tach doesn't work? Must be fun shifting and not knowing what you are turning.

Documented vintage racer

Is this Ken Green's old car? I ran against his car several times. It was an old autocross car from the Miami area.

You know, a seasoned block is simply a used block that has heat cycled enough times that the core shift is over. There must be MILLIONS of them out there.

It is a nice looking car, and no doubt you will have people interested, so good luck with your sale. I'm only giving you a rough time because you said things like "completely race ready" and so on. Heck, many aren't completely ready even when they are on the grid or the pace lap.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:06 PM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

first off I am NOT a fan of the SVRA...that said the rules have been updated/modified way past what was allowed in 1972 for different reasons one being reliability and yes improved reliability can and generally does improve horsepower....you also have the "old guy with loads of disposable income" syndrome where technology (read money) helps an average driver look like a hero.

crash BUT the race director (who is the CEO of R/A) decided he wanted a 50 mph start but waited until the cars were on the grid to tell ONLY the front row...there were almost 50 cars in the race BUT only the front row knew about 50 mph???...
take 200 hp away from ever car in the field and if the same errors are made the end result will be the same.

I am also what your friends think of the TV car built from a burned out street car by Peter Klutt (of Dream car garage fame) the windshield is tipped down and the motor is move back 4-6 inches....but but but the SVRA has declared it gr-6 legal??
This is one reason I raced only a couple of Vintage races and then stayed only in current series after that. Money, egoes, and so on worked hard to influence changes because "it wasn't real racing", meaning it was vintage, there wasn't supposed to be "a" winner, but everyone winners. So the rules were easy to change. Usually for the guy with the money and maybe only when he was on the track.

Usually the guy who would gripe the loudest about you must be unsafe becasue of the looks of your car was the guy who usually crashed or was dangerous to run anywhere around.

SCCA was cheaper. Sounds strange, but running a current series, it was actually cheaper. SVRA was about triple the entry fee.

Durablility through improved technology is definitely faster. ;)
  • Dry sump - run a dry sump, you can go flat out in a corner, no worry of losing oil pressure. No always true of those old Corvette baffled pans.
  • Wilwood brakes - safer by better stopping, but that lets you get deeper in a corner, so lap times go down.
  • Better rods so you don't blow an engine and oil the course - lets you rev higher, longer, and make more horsepower.
  • Better valves so you don't drop a valve and oil the course - lets you rev higher, longer, and make more horsepower.
  • 8 point cages and tube frames for crash safety - less chassis flex lets you corner faster, so lap times go down.

I know it was always a dilemma for that balance of tech and safety and remaining true to the vintage feel, but it seems to be far away from what they were trying to do in 1980 for vintage racing.

As to 200 hp making a difference in the BRIC crash, yes, I think it would somewhat. Many accelerated into the crash, from the pictures I saw. Had they been down 200 hp, they wouldn't have been able to run up into the group as fast, and had more time to react. There would have still been a crash, as 200 hp isn't all that much, but I think there would have been less carnage, because most of the impacts would have been 20-30 mph slower. Basically along the lines of handing a novice a .22 rifle or a Thompson submachine gun. Both can kill you, but the one will definitely get away from the unskilled.

The TV '69 at Watkins Glen - a riot! I was talking to Michael Hanson about that one at Old Town in January. What a joke. Why didn't the guy just build a GT1 car and go National racing? Oh, that's right, he did build a GT1 car, just didn't go national racing.

I especially loved the "little guy" look of them towing with an old F150 and a simple 24 ft enclosed trailer. I wonder if the car was even in that trailer. :rofl: They carefully avoided filming the 45 ft tractor trailer support vehicle.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:23 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Originally Posted by Procrastination Racing
This is one reason I raced only a couple of Vintage races and then stayed only in current series after that. Money, egoes, and so on worked hard to influence changes because "it wasn't real racing", meaning it was vintage, there wasn't supposed to be "a" winner, but everyone winners. So the rules were easy to change. Usually for the guy with the money and maybe only when he was on the track.

Usually the guy who would gripe the loudest about you must be unsafe becasue of the looks of your car was the guy who usually crashed or was dangerous to run anywhere around.

SCCA was cheaper. Sounds strange, but running a current series, it was actually cheaper. SVRA was about triple the entry fee.

Durablility through improved technology is definitely faster.
  • Dry sump - run a dry sump, you can go flat out in a corner, no worry of losing oil pressure. No always true of those old Corvette baffled pans.
  • Wilwood brakes - safer by better stopping, but that lets you get deeper in a corner, so lap times go down.
  • Better rods so you don't blow an engine and oil the course - lets you rev higher, longer, and make more horsepower.
  • Better valves so you don't drop a valve and oil the course - lets you rev higher, longer, and make more horsepower.
  • 8 point cages and tube frames for crash safety - less chassis flex lets you corner faster, so lap times go down.

I know it was always a dilemma for that balance of tech and safety and remaining true to the vintage feel, but it seems to be far away from what they were trying to do in 1980 for vintage racing.

As to 200 hp making a difference in the BRIC crash, yes, I think it would somewhat. Many accelerated into the crash, from the pictures I saw. Had they been down 200 hp, they wouldn't have been able to run up into the group as fast, and had more time to react. There would have still been a crash, as 200 hp isn't all that much, but I think there would have been less carnage, because most of the impacts would have been 20-30 mph slower. Basically along the lines of handing a novice a .22 rifle or a Thompson submachine gun. Both can kill you, but the one will definitely get away from the unskilled.

The TV '69 at Watkins Glen - a riot! I was talking to Michael Hanson about that one at Old Town in January. What a joke. Why didn't the guy just build a GT1 car and go National racing? Oh, that's right, he did build a GT1 car, just didn't go national racing.

I especially loved the "little guy" look of them towing with an old F150 and a simple 24 ft enclosed trailer. I wonder if the car was even in that trailer. They carefully avoided filming the 45 ft tractor trailer support vehicle.
if you look at my sig pic you will see the roof of a yellow Camaro...thats where it all started...he was behind the two Jags and in the middle of the track when the black Jag slowed (hit the brakes) he had no where to go except up the middle hitting and turning the black Corvette roadster.....there were guys racing around 14 and up the hill, they had no clue there was a crash, those are the guys who piled on, guys with loads of experience, thats why I said take away 200 hp but still do the same dumb things and the results are the same...to be honest NO ONE at (or near) the front had a "legal" car but thats not what the promoters wanted...they wanted entry fees, they wanted fast, noisy cars for the fans... and rich guys with money WANT/NEED to spend it.....I am all for big motors because I can build 635hp for 1/3 what some are spending on a "legal" 327"...thats a 327" that has to get an expensive rebuild EVERY 20 hours...I am anti aftermarket calipers...it`s J-56 for me. And to be honest the guy that started the whole mess basically got off scott free...he missed the next R/A event BUT the SVRA let him race again the next May and he was not invited back to the `06 July race... but raced this past Sept
...redvetracr
Old 03-14-2007, 06:16 PM
bjm
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

if you look at my sig pic you will see the roof of a yellow Camaro...thats where it all started...he was behind the two Jags and in the middle of the track when the black Jag slowed (hit the brakes) he had no where to go except up the middle hitting and turning the black Corvette roadster.....there were guys racing around 14 and up the hill, they had no clue there was a crash, those are the guys who piled on, guys with loads of experience, thats why I said take away 200 hp but still do the same dumb things and the results are the same...to be honest NO ONE at (or near) the front had a "legal" car but thats not what the promoters wanted...they wanted entry fees, they wanted fast, noisy cars for the fans... and rich guys with money WANT/NEED to spend it.....I am all for big motors because I can build 635hp for 1/3 what some are spending on a "legal" 327"...thats a 327" that has to get an expensive rebuild EVERY 20 hours...I am anti aftermarket calipers...it`s J-56 for me. And to be honest the guy that started the whole mess basically got off scott free...he missed the next R/A event BUT the SVRA let him race again the next May and he was not invited back to the `06 July race... but raced this past Sept
...redvetracr
This is becoming such an over played record we need to let it go...I did and I was actually directly involved!! This is two year old news that we all hopefully learned from. (Unless you race in HSR, that is a different story)There are so many reasons why the accident happened, including the yellow car trying to go up the middle (yes he is a good friend), but it was not the only reason why. Plus, everyone in the front 5 rows of that grid has tried to go up the middle at some point, I have seen it, and in some cases with the same bad results!!

Procrastination: engines with less horsepower (unless they only had 200hp) I don't think would have had any effect on the wreck. Most of the time the front of the field is on the gas by the bridge and the mid/back of the pack are pulling hard to keep up and doing prob 100mph by the bridge. (I know not the way it is supposed to happen but the way it usually does in the group) It was even worse at the BRIC b/c the field was large and spread out, I am pretty sure people in the middle of the pack were not racing but rather on the gas hard to not get too left behind, which they already were. BTW: there were a great deal of very good and experienced drivers in that race and accident.

Back to the original thread before it was hijacked. This is a very fast ride and done very nice. Prob not a SVRA car with the 410 and wilwood brakes but nicely done.

Get notified of new replies

To Check it out! 638 HP 1966 vintage race car with trailer and many extras

Quick Reply: Check it out! 638 HP 1966 vintage race car with trailer and many extras