Notices
C1 & C2 Corvettes for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used Classic Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes

Importing C1 into Canada

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 01:36 PM
Kbear
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Importing C1 into Canada

Hiya! Great forum! I'm in the process of finding a 59-61.

Wondering if anyone has first hand experience importing a vehicle into British Columbia? There are a few import companies in Vancouver that claim to be able to take care of all the paperwork, so am thinking that may be the most convenient way to go. Too bad I'm a control freak. Any thoughts or suggestions are most appreicated!

Kbear
Old 09-19-2007, 04:47 PM
wolfwatcher
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Did it in June

I had a 65 brought across by truck at Blaine from Washington State. Used a customs broker on Canuck side. Was nothing to it. Broker fee was about $350 total, as I remember. Would not advise doing it yourself. There is a prescribed procedure and you have to know the ropes. Suggest looking up a customs broker online or in yellow pages and talking to them, decide for yourself from there.

L Hill
Old 09-19-2007, 09:00 PM
unreel1967
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a '57 project here in Guam and sold it to a guy in Canada. He requested that i ship it to Seattle,Wa. (which i did) and was able to pick it up himself and trailer it back across the border.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:49 PM
darguy
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kbear
Hiya! Great forum! I'm in the process of finding a 59-61.

Wondering if anyone has first hand experience importing a vehicle into British Columbia? There are a few import companies in Vancouver that claim to be able to take care of all the paperwork, so am thinking that may be the most convenient way to go. Too bad I'm a control freak. Any thoughts or suggestions are most appreicated!

Kbear
I almost did it a few months ago. Got all my info from the Registrar or Imported Vehicles. A good resourse for a control freak...

Old 09-27-2007, 01:21 AM
Lickitty
Racer

Default Do it Yourself

Buy car
Send the original Title + 3 Duplicate copies of title to US Customs Border crossing where you will cross and give them 3 days ( 72 hrs to check title )
Show up at border with Car and Payment Receipt after 3 days and they will stamp your papers.
then proceed to Canadian side where they give you R.I.V Reg Import Vehicle > $209 so you can meet safety Standarrds PLUS
Pay 7% Federal Tax on the Vehicle price
NOW THE CAR IS IN CANADA

Now get someone to fill out the RIV papers ( In Ontario it is a Canadian Tire )
Plus get Car Safetied
and then get car appraised for Insurance and so Provincial tax can be applied ( it's that way in Ontario )
and then take (1) RIV form(2) Safety (3) and appraisal to province license office for your licese plate and provincial ownership and give them another 7% for provincial tax( that much in Ontario)

Good Luck > I have bought 2 cars, a P/Up and a motorcycle from US in last 4 yrs and saved $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 09-28-2007, 12:12 PM
Kbear
3rd Gear

Default Great info - thanks!

Thanks for all your replies - really appreciate it!
Old 10-01-2007, 09:18 AM
mpaq
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Lickitty
Buy car
Send the original Title + 3 Duplicate copies of title to US Customs Border crossing where you will cross and give them 3 days ( 72 hrs to check title )
Show up at border with Car and Payment Receipt after 3 days and they will stamp your papers.
then proceed to Canadian side where they give you R.I.V Reg Import Vehicle > $209 so you can meet safety Standarrds PLUS
Pay 7% Federal Tax on the Vehicle price
NOW THE CAR IS IN CANADA

Now get someone to fill out the RIV papers ( In Ontario it is a Canadian Tire )
Plus get Car Safetied
and then get car appraised for Insurance and so Provincial tax can be applied ( it's that way in Ontario )
and then take (1) RIV form(2) Safety (3) and appraisal to province license office for your licese plate and provincial ownership and give them another 7% for provincial tax( that much in Ontario)

Good Luck > I have bought 2 cars, a P/Up and a motorcycle from US in last 4 yrs and saved $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Any car over 15 years old is exempt from the RIV fee and does not have to comply with any safety standards. Unless its different for vettes but i doubt it. Also the tax is gst @ 6%, you will pay the retail sales tax of your province when you transfer the title. As above, in Ontario you need an appraisal (by a registered dealer) to verify the value.

Get notified of new replies

To Importing C1 into Canada

Quick Reply: Importing C1 into Canada