Notices
C1 & C2 Corvettes for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used Classic Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes

Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 07:14 PM
gr8corvette
Gr8Corvette
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Need advice

I found a nice 64 Corvette on EBAY. Here is the link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/COLLE...QQcmdZViewItem
It is a 10 to 20 footer and seems to be in fairly good condition. I am confused on one point in the seller's ad. It is a big point about numbers matching engine. Let me make it clear that it is not a big deal to me (other than price) if there is a NOM or not, I want a fun driver. But I don't want to misrepresent the car once I own it. I probably just don't understand what I am looking at.

The ad says the engine is a numbers matching engine and gives the VIN number and engine number. The stated numbers in the narrative part of the ad match. However, please go to the link in the ad that takes you to many pictures of the car. Picture number 102-0500.jpg is a picture of the engine with the following numbers:
B217
GM NO1
Is this the block number? if so, then does that mean it is not a numbers matching car? If not, what does this number mean?

I actually did go look at the car, but did not catch this misunderstanding on my part until I got home. The car does have a lot of scapes and body problems, but they look cosmetic to me, it won't affect the safety of the vehicle (my number one priority). If anybody sees anything that I should consider, please let me know. As is obvious from my first question, I don't know a lot. I just want a fun driver.

I considered paying someone to look at the car, but the auction is almost over and there is no time.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:52 PM
gary6696
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Contributor '03 & '04

"Picture number 102-0500.jpg is a picture of the engine with the following numbers:
B217
37191898"

That's the intake manifold, and it's from a '57 Chevy.
But it's a beautiful car!
Old 09-28-2007, 09:04 PM
jon68l79
Supporting Lifetime Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Gary is correct. The correct manifold for a '64 250 hp engine should be '3844457'. Not sure why someone changed the manifold, but probably not hard to find one. The important numbers to check to determine "numbers matching" for the engine are the last 5 VIN digits that are stamped on the passenger side cylinder head pad in the front. I didn't see any pics of this, but from the description, it sounds like these numbers match ("08633"). Another thing to check would be the block casting number right behind the distributor on the pad right below the intake manifold. This engine's casting number on the drivers side should be "3782870" and there should also be a date code cast near the center. It is usually anywhere from 2 months to 2 weeks prior to the cars birthday to be correct. The C2 registry shows this cars b-day to be January 9, 1964, so the block should be cast with a 'K' or 'L' + day + '3' (for 1963) most likely. If all of this matches, then the pad probably has not been restamped and the engine is original.

All in all this is a nice looking car from what I see from the pics. The underside and frame have been repainted, but I didn't see any rust. You might check pic 102-0622. It looks like there may have been some body repair in the past. If you can, also check behind the glove box and the side panels in the foot wells to spot any rust in the birdcage.

I also have a '64 coupe, painted Rally Red, but should be Daytona Blue with the dark blue interior. If I make up my mind that I have the time, I'm going to jump into a restoration this winter. It's a fun car and the '64's are probably the most affordable midyear Vette. If you can get this one for under $35k, I'd say you got a deal. Good luck and let us know how you make out. Jon
Old 09-28-2007, 11:14 PM
richbopp
Melting Slicks

Location: Park City to SoCal - according to the map it's all down hill. No bad days in Indian Wells, California

That car looks like a great find. Anything under 34-35K is a solid deal. Good luck with your bidding.

And the intake manifold is easy to find. I just sold a 64 dated one and the guy would be willing to sell to a needed restoration.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:21 PM
Dean757
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default date code very early

Hi, The suffix code F 0701 rc = Flint july 1 build,250 hp mt, however the build date of the car is january 1964 . July to January equals an abnormal time from engine build until car was built, Possible but ???? Pay nom price and sleep at night. Missing panels on radio console sides.: cast date f 28 = june 28 flag:

Last edited by Dean757; 09-29-2007 at 11:09 PM. Reason: cast date
Old 09-30-2007, 08:52 AM
Greg Gore
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

You stated you wanted a fun driver and an NOM car is the perfect candidate for that. I think what you are trying to say is you don't want to pay a matching numbers price then find out it's NOM when you get home which would sure spoil an otherwise nice deal and give you an unpleasant duty of having to disclose it at resale time. The bidding won't be in matching territory till it goes over forty. Doesn't matter what it is right now because current bid is at NOM level. Now say you bought it as a NOM and found out later it really was original would be a home run but you now have a car you can't drive. Also, keep in mind there is much more incentive to forge a fuelie or a 435 hp car.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:04 AM
gr8corvette
Gr8Corvette
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Greg Gore
You stated you wanted a fun driver and an NOM car is the perfect candidate for that. I think what you are trying to say is you don't want to pay a matching numbers price then find out it's NOM when you get home which would sure spoil an otherwise nice deal and give you an unpleasant duty of having to disclose it at resale time. The bidding won't be in matching territory till it goes over forty. Doesn't matter what it is right now because current bid is at NOM level. Now say you bought it as a NOM and found out later it really was original would be a home run but you now have a car you can't drive. Also, keep in mind there is much more incentive to forge a fuelie or a 435 hp car.
Greg, Your analysis is dead on. A NOM for NOM price is good, a matching numbers for a NOM is great, but a NOM for a matching numbers price is terrible. I am watching the EBAY price to see where it goes, By this time tomorrow I will either be very happy or very disappointed!
Old 09-30-2007, 05:11 PM
Dean757
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default attached for our pm,

Hi gr 8, I could not attach pic to our pm. The paint condition is excellent . Good luck and if you do not get the 64 ,Come see me. Thanks Dean
Attached Images   
Old 10-01-2007, 09:49 AM
Greg Gore
Le Mans Master

Did you end up getting it gr8? Looks like it finished up in bargain territory.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:45 AM
RoadVettes
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Looks like somebody got a very nice deal...28,500 .
Old 10-01-2007, 01:14 PM
kwkenuf
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gr8corvette
I found a nice 64 Corvette on EBAY.
Didja' get it?
Old 10-01-2007, 01:33 PM
gr8corvette
Gr8Corvette
Support Corvetteforum!

No, I did not get it. I was waiting to go in at $27,500 and top out at $28,500. It turned out that it settled at my max price.
I guess I got scared in the last three minutes of bidding that I would get carried away. I don't usually spend money with that many digits.
I did not just put my max bid in early, because that only really bumps the price up for the seller. Nothing wrong with that from the seller's point of view, but from the buyer's point of view it just increases the price.
Oddly enough, when I went to look at the car, I offered the seller a grand over the current EBay price. He thought it would go way above that. I then offered $29k, but he thought the auction would exceed that number too! It would have been best for both of us if he had taken that price.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:35 PM
Greg Gore
Le Mans Master

That was the best deal on a good 64 that I have seen in a while!!!
Old 10-01-2007, 02:13 PM
kwkenuf
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gr8corvette
No, I did not get it. I was waiting to go in at $27,500 and top out at $28,500.
I did not just put my max bid in early, because that only really bumps the price up for the seller. Nothing wrong with that from the seller's point of view, but from the buyer's point of view it just increases the price.
If you are going to shop on Ebay efficiently you HAVE to use an auction sniping tool to keep the bidding from getting out of hand. It will automatically bid in the last 6-10 seconds so you don't show your hand early and end up in a live bidding war. Used correctly, no one will even know you are remotely interested in the item until immediately before the auction is set to close and far too late for anyone to manually enter a bid to beat you. Set your proxy bid as high as you are willing to go to purchase the car at YOUR price and wait till the auction ends. I have had extremely good results with this sniping tool, winning many auctions for far less than I was willing to pay. Check out esteal.com for an example of a very good sniper. YMMV
Old 10-01-2007, 02:57 PM
gr8corvette
Gr8Corvette
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by kwkenuf
Check out esteal.com for an example of a very good sniper. YMMV
Wow! I never heard of this before, but it sounds like they were describing me!
Has anyone else used this site and would you recommend it?

Get notified of new replies

To Need advice

Quick Reply: Need advice