Notices
C1 & C2 Corvettes for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used Classic Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes

WARNING: Fraud Epidemic!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 10:16 PM
fberus
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Default WARNING: Fraud Epidemic!

I doubt that anyone on this forum would fall for this scam but you may be asked for advice from less knowledgeable friends and relatives. Craig's list and AutoTraderClassics have been flooded with fraudulent ads the past few days. This scam has been going on for some time on Craig's list sites along the east coast but the last few days has seen a flurry of these fraudulent ads showing up on AutoTrader.

The adds list a car for a fraction of its market value to generate interest. The "seller" often states that they have been deployed to Afghanistan and that they need a quick sale. They are on base away form the car so it is not available for inspection. They then present payment terms that use the "eBay Vehicle Purchase Protection Program" (how ironic) even though the car is not being sold on eBay. This is how they get you to make a deposit. Here is a link to an eBay fraud alert that describes how the scam works.

http://forums.ebay.com/db1/topic/Eba...-And/510078002

Here is an example of a fraudster's add:
http://www.autotraderclassics.com/fi...rsationId=6333

Here is an example of the response emails:

First you will receive something like this:

Hi,
I am selling this car because my platoon has been sent back to Afghanistan. The price is low because I need to sell it before November 4th. Is in excellent condition, 57k miles.
Right now I'm in a military base so I will not be able to deal in person but I've already arranged the shipping and the title transfer anywhere in the US. I will pay the shipping fees.
I prefer closing the transaction trough eBay system because we are both protected. If you don't know how does the eBay Safe Pay work please let me know so I can help you
It is still available for sale if interested, price as stated in the ad $4,900. The car is in Baltimore, MD, in case it gets sold I will take care of shipping.
Regards!!!

LT Kimberly Walker
2nd Battalion, 3rd Marine Regiment
Baltimore, MD

Then you will get this:

Hello,

The sale will be managed by eBay for our own protection as they act as a neutral third part.
eBay will keep the money until you inspect/drive the vehicle. The title is clear.

This is how the Vehicle Purchase Protection Program works:

1. I will contact eBay and give all the info about this deal.
2. They will email us the forms which are needed for our deal.
3. You will send the payment ($4900) to eBay and they will notify me to ship the vehicle to your location.
4. After you will inspect/drive the vehicle and decide to keep it, eBay will forward me the funds and the deal is done.

Remember you have 5 days to test it. If by any reason the vehicle is not as described or if you find any problems with it I will pay for the returning fees. I'm sure it won't be the case because it's a state of art looking and working vehicle. I apologize if it seems like I'm pushing on this deal but I really want to be sure everything is clarified before any further steps.

If you wish to purchase it please provide me your full name, address so I can initiate the deal through eBay.

Thank you
Old 10-22-2009, 12:14 AM
vettecityman53
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default There's one born every second.....

I guess you use Western Union to send the money to Ebay too!!! LMAO!!!!
Old 10-30-2009, 03:30 PM
jrepoff
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a very similar experience about a car in Mass and I live in Mass so he could not go to far with his story...

I was also confused with ebay and paypal changes since I do not use them that often. My son wanted me to sell one of the gadgets you get when you buy a new apple computer. So I put in on ebay and a guy bought it and I was always use to sending the item after you get paid. Now paypal hold the money until the buyer gets the item and releases the funds. I was concerned thinking I was getting scammed but it ended up okay...not very fond of this method and don't think I will be selling anything else on ebay...
Old 11-06-2009, 08:15 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default ttt

Run! FOREST run. if it sounds to good it is too good. People will do about anything in this day and time.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:23 PM
1955 copper
Safety Car

Received 207 Likes on 149 Posts
2015 C1 of Year

Sad to say I've had friends get screwed on the same thing even when I told them it's a con /OH well live and learn
Then they get mad at me for warning them
Old 11-07-2009, 01:12 AM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

I found a 2004 Goldwing advertised in Tampa a couple of weeks ago for $4500. I thought it might be a typo, since $14500 would be reasonable.

Nope, the bike was in Montana, and they were deploying to Afghanistan.

I wrote back to get an address because I was willing to pick it up there and ride it home (Heck, it is a Goldwing, you actually ride them across country.) and to offer good luck, but was puzzled when they wee advertising in Tampa since I saw they were already in Germany per their IP address.
Old 11-07-2009, 02:35 PM
yote1234
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow... i just bought and recieved a 67 big block vett. 33 options, ncrs judged 1,055 points. yes 1,055 points. 0 mile fresh restoration. in color of my choice! for $3,999.00. and for only 4- easy payments of $19.99 i will send you some pictures!

.....hehehehe .....JUST KIDDING!.....
Old 11-07-2009, 05:25 PM
66racer
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

Default Ebay scam

Originally Posted by fberus
I doubt that anyone on this forum would fall for this scam but you may be asked for advice from less knowledgeable friends and relatives. Craig's list and AutoTraderClassics have been flooded with fraudulent ads the past few days. This scam has been going on for some time on Craig's list sites along the east coast but the last few days has seen a flurry of these fraudulent ads showing up on AutoTrader.

The adds list a car for a fraction of its market value to generate interest. The "seller" often states that they have been deployed to Afghanistan and that they need a quick sale. They are on base away form the car so it is not available for inspection. They then present payment terms that use the "eBay Vehicle Purchase Protection Program" (how ironic) even though the car is not being sold on eBay. This is how they get you to make a deposit. Here is a link to an eBay fraud alert that describes how the scam works.

http://forums.ebay.com/db1/topic/Eba...-And/510078002

Here is an example of a fraudster's add:
http://www.autotraderclassics.com/fi...rsationId=6333

Here is an example of the response emails:

First you will receive something like this:

Hi,
I am selling this car because my platoon has been sent back to Afghanistan. The price is low because I need to sell it before November 4th. Is in excellent condition, 57k miles.
Right now I'm in a military base so I will not be able to deal in person but I've already arranged the shipping and the title transfer anywhere in the US. I will pay the shipping fees.
I prefer closing the transaction trough eBay system because we are both protected. If you don't know how does the eBay Safe Pay work please let me know so I can help you
It is still available for sale if interested, price as stated in the ad $4,900. The car is in Baltimore, MD, in case it gets sold I will take care of shipping.
Regards!!!

LT Kimberly Walker
2nd Battalion, 3rd Marine Regiment
Baltimore, MD

Then you will get this:

Hello,

The sale will be managed by eBay for our own protection as they act as a neutral third part.
eBay will keep the money until you inspect/drive the vehicle. The title is clear.

This is how the Vehicle Purchase Protection Program works:

1. I will contact eBay and give all the info about this deal.
2. They will email us the forms which are needed for our deal.
3. You will send the payment ($4900) to eBay and they will notify me to ship the vehicle to your location.
4. After you will inspect/drive the vehicle and decide to keep it, eBay will forward me the funds and the deal is done.

Remember you have 5 days to test it. If by any reason the vehicle is not as described or if you find any problems with it I will pay for the returning fees. I'm sure it won't be the case because it's a state of art looking and working vehicle. I apologize if it seems like I'm pushing on this deal but I really want to be sure everything is clarified before any further steps.

If you wish to purchase it please provide me your full name, address so I can initiate the deal through eBay.

Thank you
THANK YOU FBERUS YOU JUST SAVED ME 11,000.00 ON AJEEP I WAS BUYING .I RECEIVED THE EBAY MOTOR VEHICLE PURCHASE PROTECTION-OVERVIEW --- IT WAS JUST AS YOU DESCRIBED IT
SEEMED TO BE REAL.I HAVE NOT RECEIVED THE TRANSACTION
INVOICE YET PROBABLY GET IT MONDAY.
ANYWAY I CHECKED MY EBAY INBOX AND NO RECORD OF THE M.V.P.P.OVERVIEW SEN TO ME.
THEN I CKED.WHERE THE MESSAGE ORGINATED---AW-CONFIRM@VPPMOTORS-TRANSACTION.COM ---THEY CONFIRMED THAT IT WAS A SCAM. THANKS AGAIN 66RACER
Old 11-07-2009, 05:29 PM
Bowtyeguy
Le Mans Master

Received 513 Likes on 354 Posts

Now you have to go in a change your password because when you clicked in they stole your old password. They will clone you soon.
Old 11-07-2009, 06:09 PM
03clyde
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bowtyeguy
Now you have to go in a change your password because when you clicked in they stole your old password. They will clone you soon.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:58 AM
66racer
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

Default Pass word

Originally Posted by 03clyde
thanks for tip bowtyeguy i had my pass word changed.
66racer
Old 11-18-2009, 05:19 PM
Vette Jockey
Roadster Madness. 😠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,510 Likes on 864 Posts
SoCal Regional Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '13, '20-'21

My Dad always said, "Son, always remember Tanstaafl, as long as you do you will be O. K."

As usual, he was right. Old China Marines usually are. "There ain't no such thing as a free lunch"

Get notified of new replies

To WARNING: Fraud Epidemic!

Quick Reply: WARNING: Fraud Epidemic!