Notices
C1 & C2 Corvettes for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used Classic Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes

FS: Would You Buy a Non-Numbers-Matching 1967 L89 Corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 08:26 PM
Corvette Forum Editor
CorvetteForum Editor

Received 145 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Would You Buy a Non-Numbers-Matching 1967 L89 Corvette?

One of the most desirable C2 models ever, the L89 Corvette, could be yours if you’re OK with fudging the numbers.

Read the rest on the Corvette Forum homepage. >>
Old 03-30-2017, 08:31 PM
golden2husky
Burning Brakes

Received 293 Likes on 193 Posts

I'm OK with it provided that the seller makes the lack of matching numbers known. Which they did.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:41 PM
KENS78SILVERANNIV
Le Mans Master

Received 293 Likes on 122 Posts

I would probably find a non-numbers matching '66 or '67 and build my own version.
You could do a 427... Paint... Vintage Air...and a 6 speed for a lot less than $115K including the price of the car.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:49 PM
roberts427
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 150 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette Forum Editor

One of the most desirable C2 models ever, the L89 Corvette, could be yours if you’re OK with fudging the numbers.

Read the rest on the Corvette Forum homepage. >>
I guess I missed something. how does one know its a factory L89
Old 03-31-2017, 04:40 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

It'd depend on a lot of factors for me. Starts w. a plus in seller's column that he disclosed (and made obvious by Tremec trans) non-numbers match. Then it would be up to how much IS original and numbers matching and who did the full resto. Those two items would determine for me the value up to the price being asked.
Old 03-31-2017, 09:15 AM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

As I high school kid in the 60's and 70's whose entire world consisted of girls and cars, cars like that 67 were the ultimate dream car.

Try as I might, I can never recall looking under the hood of any of these cars and formulating the following question:

"Yeah, but is it matching numbers?"

Paint and trim codes were meaningless, as no one cared, except for the body and fender shop.

Yet these cars, and all like them, were revered for what they were, how they looked, how fast and mean they were, not for some string of numbers and broach marks.

Even today, believe it or not, there are many passionate Corvette lovers who give not a single whit about a number and it's matching or not.

I say this as a longtime NCRS member, who has also fallen under the magic spell of numbers.

However, if you remove the facet of "investment value" from the collector car hobby, matching numbers would likely return to their earlier irrelevance.

Now, of course it is difficult to think of our world without that facet.
Matching numbers could have been added to John Lennon's "Imagine"
and caused equally thought provoking moments.

I often find myself smiling when someone looks at a beautiful car, and when the topic of numbers comes up, simply looks at you and says in full honesty and disdain, that he has no care in the world about such things, he or she just likes the car.
You know; Kind of like we all did back when these cars first roamed the streets.

The only time I ever looked at the numbers on my engine block of my ZR-1 that I have owned for 25 years, were during Flight Judging events.

While numbers certainly have a huge impact on value, they make my car neither run or look any better.
It is the car, and the way that it makes me feel when I drive it, not the numbers that put the smile on my face.

Enjoy them!

Marty

Perhaps I succumbed too much myself by replacing my longtime plate
1FUNZR1 with NCRSZR1, maybe this year I will think about switching it back!
The following 5 users liked this post by DRM500RUBYZR-1:
67pete (04-06-2017), driftwood26 (05-14-2017), GSMNPhiker (04-02-2017), ptjsk (04-01-2017), TTA89 (04-06-2017)
Old 03-31-2017, 09:25 AM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Oh,
and that particular 67 NNM car?
Why it is EXACTLY the car of my teenage dreams!!!
Car, colors, engine, etc.
So, YES!
I would not hesitate for a moment buying that car!
It is simply exceptional!

Marty
Old 03-31-2017, 10:08 AM
Dr L-88
Le Mans Master

Received 1,240 Likes on 457 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Winner - Modified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year (stock)
C2 of Year Winner (stock) 2019
2017 C1 of the Year Finalist

Did this car sell or is it still available? Is / was it listed on the Corvette Forum?

Thanks,

Rex
Old 03-31-2017, 11:33 AM
sbaba
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by DRM500RUBYZR-1
As I high school kid in the 60's and 70's whose entire world consisted of girls and cars, cars like that 67 were the ultimate dream car.

Try as I might, I can never recall looking under the hood of any of these cars and formulating the following question:

Paint and trim codes were meaningless, as no one cared, except for the body and fender shop.

Yet these cars, and all like them, were revered for what they were, how they looked, how fast and mean they were, not for some string of numbers and broach marks.

Even today, believe it or not, there are many passionate Corvette lovers who give not a single whit about a number and it's matching or not.

I say this as a longtime NCRS member, who has also fallen under the magic spell of numbers.

However, if you remove the facet of "investment value" from the collector car hobby, matching numbers would likely return to their earlier irrelevance.

I often find myself smiling when someone looks at a beautiful car, and when the topic of numbers comes up, simply looks at you and says in full honesty and disdain, that he has no care in the world about such things, he or she just likes the car.
You know; Kind of like we all did back when these cars first roamed the streets.

The only time I ever looked at the numbers on my engine block of my ZR-1 that I have owned for 25 years, were during Flight Judging events.

While numbers certainly have a huge impact on value, they make my car neither run or look any better.
It is the car, and the way that it makes me feel when I drive it, not the numbers that put the smile on my face.

Enjoy them!

Marty

Well said.
Old 03-31-2017, 12:09 PM
schizcat
Drifting

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by DRM500RUBYZR-1

Enjoy them!

Marty

Very well said.

My opinion is that most of the people who care about the matching numbers are either the "purist" or the collectors. And most of those buy these cars and throw them in the garage and only drive them a couple of times a year or trailer them to shows. I love looking at cars and going to shows. But, I also like driving them.

I think it was said in a previous comment that the cost to build a decent motor, paint, etc would be cheaper than this car (and would probably be more reliable). If one intends to drive it, drop an LS7 in it, rewire, etc. and call it a day.
Old 03-31-2017, 12:19 PM
hope2
Safety Car

Received 358 Likes on 241 Posts

If you like the car that's fine. More info is needed to determine value. Like; Original big block car, original colors, trim tag, 67 block. remember the real black 435 AO Smith coupe on ebay month or so ago. Brought 74.5 http://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-Chevrol...hYdY~f&vxp=mtr
Old 04-01-2017, 07:39 AM
Crunch527
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 111 Posts

No way would I pay the premium for a "STORY" on any NOM car...its about $50K overpriced in my opinion...
Old 04-01-2017, 09:25 AM
provette67
Le Mans Master

Received 705 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Crunch527
No way would I pay the premium for a "STORY" on any NOM car...its about $50K overpriced in my opinion...
Nothing in the ad mentions that the car was originally from the factory as a L89. Just that the motor now has aluminum heads. Could very well started life as a 300hp automatic. For those who say that matching numbers do not matter.Would you be as quick to pay $50K more than the real value of the car. For that matter would you pay much more for anything than it was worth? You can get a deal on counterfeit $100 bills. Now only $10 ea. But the seller gets credit for making the fact the bills are counterfeit known.
Old 04-01-2017, 10:17 AM
Bowtyeguy
Le Mans Master

Received 513 Likes on 354 Posts

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lg...054651439.html
Old 04-01-2017, 02:39 PM
itsonlyairandfuel
Drifting

Received 384 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by provette67
Nothing in the ad mentions that the car was originally from the factory as a L89. Just that the motor now has aluminum heads. Could very well started life as a 300hp automatic. For those who say that matching numbers do not matter.Would you be as quick to pay $50K more than the real value of the car. For that matter would you pay much more for anything than it was worth? You can get a deal on counterfeit $100 bills. Now only $10 ea. But the seller gets credit for making the fact the bills are counterfeit known.
I've got a nom driver quality 1965 coupe, and a 1967 Bloomington Gold, Duntov award car. Ran both through a classic car auction, bid spread was 20K. Long story short been thinking about using the 67 for a restomod. They seem to be appreciated than a trophy car. Long story short pedigree to mutt not much value difference. Just my experiment. Ron B.
Old 04-01-2017, 06:20 PM
Enzo Colosimo
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by itsonlyairandfuel
I've got a nom driver quality 1965 coupe, and a 1967 Bloomington Gold, Duntov award car. Ran both through a classic car auction, bid spread was 20K. Long story short been thinking about using the 67 for a restomod. They seem to be appreciated than a trophy car. Long story short pedigree to mutt not much value difference. Just my experiment. Ron B.
Beautiful car...
Old 04-02-2017, 01:00 PM
joeking
Safety Car

Received 290 Likes on 195 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

I am not as concerned with matching numbers. Most of the C2 Corvette's have gone through several paint and interior jobs as well as engine changes and mechanical upgrades or rebuilds. I would be more concerned about a car that didn't have problems. There are so many Corvettes out there that have had extensive work and still look and run great.

Get notified of new replies

To Would You Buy a Non-Numbers-Matching 1967 L89 Corvette?

Old 04-02-2017, 01:08 PM
Dr L-88
Le Mans Master

Received 1,240 Likes on 457 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Winner - Modified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year (stock)
C2 of Year Winner (stock) 2019
2017 C1 of the Year Finalist

I contacted the seller and he said the car has a 1966 942 block and a set of the newer aluminum heads with the bow tie symbol on them. A very nice looking car, but maybe a little pricey ?
Old 04-03-2017, 01:46 PM
Lreynolds
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

If there's no concern about have a matching number, seems like it'd just be much more simple to take this car and add aluminum heads at nearly half the cost:

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/6037282582.html

Old 04-03-2017, 08:06 PM
67 327/400
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"Jay Leno wishes he owned this Corvette"----if Jay Leno wanted it, he would have bought it......and your house.

Last edited by 67 327/400; 04-03-2017 at 08:12 PM.

Quick Reply: FS: Would You Buy a Non-Numbers-Matching 1967 L89 Corvette?