Notices
C1 & C2 Corvettes for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used Classic Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes

WTB: WTB: '67 L71 hardtop

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 02:05 PM
stevenmk
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Vernon
Steve,
The moderators can close the thread, or just let it 'fade' in to the history.

I've been a C2 fan and owner for a very long time.
I suggest keeping the very reliable vehicle operation high on your list of purchase considerations.
Couple of considerations...will you use the car for frequent fair weather drives and do you live in a hot climate?
I love the design of the C2, however regardless of the authenticity of documentation - which, yes, is critical for investment value - I've always found the 50 year old technology compromised my driving enjoyment. The cars are 'eye candy' and the centre of many admiring glances and complementary conversations when at car shows. But, the journey to that car show might include the following: always looking at the temperature gauge - particularly for the big block - when the traffic flow gets heavy..."oh sh.., the coolant temperature is rising and the parking lot traffic ahead has no end in sight...where do I turn to get this thing moving?" Or that persistent small oil leak at the rear main seal is "driving me nuts".

I suggest talking with 435 L71 owners about their driving experience to confirm that their experience is the driving experience you seek.

I hope you find the car you seek and the driving experience that puts a BIG smile on your face.

They are gorgeous to look at.

Vern
Thanks Vern - sage advice. I have had several hobby cars over the past 10 or so years. All have been in the '69-'70 year range. I grew up with these muscle cars.

Back the they were our daily drivers, and not a hobby like today. I don't think I have ever had one with air conditioning. When I was younger I used to show my cars. Now that I am a little older I am less thrilled about sitting outside in a parking lot in 90+ degree heat. Driving them is not a lot of fun either.

I recently sold my '69 Plymouth GTX - 440c.i. 4 speed, track pack. beautiful car! I drove it most in the Spring and Fall, but not so much in the Summer as the temps got up. So, I get your meaning.

Here is my deal...I am currently 62 yrs. old. Not sure, but I don't think I was supposed to make it that far. Anyway, I decided at age 60 to see how many different cars I could own (one at a time) between the age of 60 and 70. I have many cars on my bucket list. In the Chevrolet arena, it is a '70 Chevelle LS6 and a '67 Corvette Sting Ray.

I can go with either car right now. But unfortunately, the Chevrolets are the hardest cars to authenticate, and thus the easiest to replicate. And that is holding me back from buying a car.

I have a lot to learn in the Chevrolet area, and it is the good folks like yourself that will help me make a wise decision. I have learned much in my two weeks as a member of this site, and like most things in life I will continue to learn more as time moves along.

Sorry, that was pretty long winded...

Steve
The following users liked this post:
1ccrider (05-29-2017)
Old 05-28-2017, 03:59 PM
bb62
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

You should post your location. If you were in my area, I could show you what a real car looks like. I'm sure that others would do the same.
stevenmk (05-28-2017)
Old 05-28-2017, 04:07 PM
Midyrman
Drifting

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Likewise.
stevenmk (05-28-2017)
Old 05-28-2017, 07:13 PM
Vernon
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 338 Posts

Steve,
Can you fit in a trip to Bloomington Gold, June 22 - 24 at Indianapolis Motor Speedway?
If you can make it happen, could be a great experience to help you find the car you seek.
Enjoy the 'fruits of your labour'.

Vern
Old 05-28-2017, 07:51 PM
corvettewill
Le Mans Master

Received 1,044 Likes on 907 Posts

Here is what a "real" 67 L71 looks like. Bloomomgton gold 98.1, NCRS regional 97.4. All owner history, protecto-plate.

Old 05-29-2017, 01:02 PM
SupremeDeluxe
Safety Car

Received 849 Likes on 475 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

I have a 67 L-71 and agree with most of the commentary within, however I do not agree with comments about chronic overheating and generally low reliability. Naturally, any vintage car would be considered temperamental compared to a current production car. In my experience, neither of my 427's ever overheated, even on 90+ degree days. Once you drive them long enough to sort-out all the gremlins and reliability issues (generally a product of years of disuse), they are as trustworthy as any 1960's car. I am probably one of the few people that still DRIVES a real L-71 on a regular basis, so I am commenting from a point of direct experience.

One thing I would mention, however, is that you might want to consider a convertible if you plan on using it much during the summer months. Coupes do get very hot inside, and big blocks are prone to get hotter than small blocks.
Attached Images  
Harps (06-01-2017)
Old 05-29-2017, 07:00 PM
corvettewill
Le Mans Master

Received 1,044 Likes on 907 Posts

I agree with you 100%
Old 06-01-2017, 03:25 PM
Harps
Le Mans Master

Received 137 Likes on 51 Posts

SupremeDeluxe, fantastic looking 67!
Old 06-01-2017, 05:07 PM
hope2
Safety Car

Received 358 Likes on 241 Posts

one piece front end to go with those nasty bumpers.

Last edited by hope2; 06-01-2017 at 05:22 PM.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:39 PM
KCSLED
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default L-71 coupe

Man there is a lot of L-71 s coming out of the woood work and I think it's because of the 50th anniversary of the 67! There is a lot of real original moter cars for sale. I saw a maroon couple with all that and bolt ons for around 250. I think that's a deal because the bolt ons are worth 20-25g in my opinion! I sold a set of 5 a few years ago for big bucks and I wish I would of kept them.

Quick Reply: WTB: WTB: '67 L71 hardtop