Notices
C1 & C2 Corvettes for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used Classic Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes

Find 194377S121363

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 09:50 AM
67Couperman
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Find 194377S121363

Hi Fellow Enthusiasts:
I'm on a quest to locate a '67 Coupe last know address was Monarch Lane, Annandale, Va. 22003. The car was not running, but garaged and "changed hands" in late February or earlier this month March 2018. It's Goodwood Green with green interior aka 983/430 and in need of restoration (awful paint) equipped with a L79 and manual trans with no power options. Serial number is 194377S121363 was registered to a Jo Ann Reichling on a NJ registration dated 06-09-76 carrying NJ antique tags 354W-QQ .... would like to locate and acquire the car, maybe needle-in-a-haystack stuff, but every once in a while fate smiles on the deserving 😉 Thanks!

67Couperman
Old 03-26-2018, 10:56 AM
HS Vette
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by 67Couperman
Hi Fellow Enthusiasts:
I'm on a quest to locate a '67 Coupe last know address was Monarch Lane, Annandale, Va. 22003. The car was not running, but garaged and "changed hands" in late February or earlier this month March 2018. It's Goodwood Green with green interior aka 983/430 and in need of restoration (awful paint) equipped with a L79 and manual trans with no power options. Serial number is 194377S121363 was registered to a Jo Ann Reichling on a NJ registration dated 06-09-76 carrying NJ antique tags 354W-QQ .... would like to locate and acquire the car, maybe needle-in-a-haystack stuff, but every once in a while fate smiles on the deserving 😉 Thanks!

67Couperman
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-Corvet...467?rmvSB=true

Last edited by HS Vette; 03-26-2018 at 10:57 AM.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:04 AM
67Couperman
Intermediate

Thank you HS Vette. That's the car, but that sale never happened back in September; bidder wasn't to be found after winning, acceptable bid? Seller said "it happens."
No, car was still available through February, perhaps into earlier this month. But, thank you HS Vette .... I'm guessing the car is somewhere in the Va. Md. area? Just a hunch on my part. 67Couperman
Old 03-26-2018, 03:30 PM
PG C6
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 23 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

What does the seller say? He should know to whom he sold the 67?!?
Old 03-26-2018, 04:09 PM
67Couperman
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PG C6
What does the seller say? He should know to whom he sold the 67?!?
The Seller will not divulge that information, stating the buyer requested anonymity, which I believe is untrue. Shady, shameful behavior by the Seller, in his overall conduct, long-story (aren't they all) failure to communicate and more to the point greed on the Seller part precipitates my search.
Thanks PG C6 for your input, appreciate it.

67Couperman
Old 03-26-2018, 11:25 PM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,900 Likes on 883 Posts

Is there a chance that he would forward your contact information to the new buyer, and tell the buyer that you would like to talk with him?

Just a thought.

Pat
Old 03-26-2018, 11:32 PM
dklumpp
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts

Thank you HS Vette. That's the car, but that sale never happened back in September; bidder wasn't to be found after winning, acceptable bid? Seller said "it happens."
No, car was still available through February, perhaps into earlier this month. But, thank you HS Vette .... I'm guessing the car is somewhere in the Va. Md. area? Just a hunch on my part. 67Couperman
I'm Not trying to be rude, I'm just curious on why you did not buy it when it was for sale?
Old 03-27-2018, 05:26 AM
67Couperman
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ptjsk
Is there a chance that he would forward your contact information to the new buyer, and tell the buyer that you would like to talk with him?

Just a thought.

Pat
Thanks for that thought Pat. I highly doubt the former owner has any intention of giving me a hand here after I politely (yes, politely) accused him of extremely shameful behavior in the way this went down. I'll receive no favors for him. 67Couperman
Old 03-27-2018, 07:10 PM
BlackbirdZ07
Safety Car

Received 199 Likes on 128 Posts

The Seller will not divulge that information, stating the buyer requested anonymity, which I believe is untrue. Shady, shameful behavior by the Seller, in his overall conduct, long-story (aren't they all) failure to communicate and more to the point greed on the Seller part precipitates my search.
Thanks PG C6 for your input, appreciate it.

67Couperman
Thanks for that thought Pat. I highly doubt the former owner has any intention of giving me a hand here after I politely (yes, politely) accused him of extremely shameful behavior in the way this went down. I'll receive no favors for him. 67Couperman
What is your connection to the car, and why didn't you buy it when it was for sale? You've accused the seller of "shady, shameful conduct", "failure to communicate", "extremely shameful behavior", and "greed" but you don't provide any details. What obligation did/does the seller have to you to provide contact information for the buyer?
Old 03-27-2018, 11:53 PM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Yea darn it! That's one of those bridges you wish you hadn't burned.

Unfortunately, I've done the same thing......as many of us probably has.

Pat
Old 03-28-2018, 06:35 AM
67Couperman
Intermediate

Yea darn it! That's one of those bridges you wish you hadn't burned.

Unfortunately, I've done the same thing......as many of us probably has.

Pat
Hey Pat, I don't think I burned any bridges (cursing, shouting, threatening, throwing a tantrum) doesn't work well. I was respectful throughout, in spite of being treated miserably by the Seller. The Seller acknowledged thinking I'd ask for the Buyer's contact information and responded that the Buyer has asked for anonymity .... really?
My hunch and I'd put bank on it ... is the Seller doesn't want the Buyer to know about me and the accepted offer I made to him. I failed in a couple of ways here. I was too trusting, thought I was dealing with a decent, stand up guy. And time management I should have acted more immediately verses respecting the fact the Seller wasn't available due to relocation, settling an estate and other such nonsense. Believe me, had I know the clock was ticking and "time was of the essence" this whole tale would have a different ending. Still searching for 194377S121363 has anybody seen her? 67Couperman
Old 03-28-2018, 06:51 AM
67Couperman
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BlackbirdZ07
What is your connection to the car, and why didn't you buy it when it was for sale? You've accused the seller of "shady, shameful conduct", "failure to communicate", "extremely shameful behavior", and "greed" but you don't provide any details. What obligation did/does the seller have to you to provide contact information for the buyer?
Thanks Blackbird. No obligation whatsoever. My connection to the car is that I had a deposit on it, a written bill of sale from the seller and a congratulatory email from the seller on my purchase, first there is a mountain, then there is no mountain, then there is .... you following this Blackbird? After an agreed upon sale at an agreed upon price with an agreed upon deposit, I find out my deposit is being returned, the sale is off and the car has been moved (sold to another party) in my parts that's considered shady, shameful, greedy conduct to the extreme. Everyone's moral compass seems to be broken, integrity doesn't seem to matter any longer and a man's word, once his bond, has no meaning anymore. Hey, I'm 63, guess I better grow-up and learn to live in the new normal.
Looking for 194377S121363 have you seen her? 67Couperman
Old 03-28-2018, 02:49 PM
BlackbirdZ07
Safety Car

Thanks Blackbird. No obligation whatsoever. My connection to the car is that I had a deposit on it, a written bill of sale from the seller and a congratulatory email from the seller on my purchase, first there is a mountain, then there is no mountain, then there is .... you following this Blackbird? After an agreed upon sale at an agreed upon price with an agreed upon deposit, I find out my deposit is being returned, the sale is off and the car has been moved (sold to another party) in my parts that's considered shady, shameful, greedy conduct to the extreme. Everyone's moral compass seems to be broken, integrity doesn't seem to matter any longer and a man's word, once his bond, has no meaning anymore. Hey, I'm 63, guess I better grow-up and learn to live in the new normal.
Shady, shameful, and greedy? Maybe... many people would certainly agree. However, I'm an attorney so I evaluate the situation more in terms of legality than moral judgement (that's why everyone loves to hate lawyers!). I am certainly NOT giving you legal advice, but from the circumstances you described you may well have a breach of contract claim, which you could bring either to pursue money damages OR to pressure the seller into putting you in touch with the buyer. Good luck!!

Last edited by BlackbirdZ07; 03-28-2018 at 07:40 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by BlackbirdZ07:
ptjsk (03-29-2018), solidaxel (04-01-2018)
Old 03-28-2018, 03:47 PM
provette67
Le Mans Master

Received 705 Likes on 383 Posts

Just guessing but it sounds like the seller received a higher offer. On this premise what makes you think the new owner will sell it? Let alone sell it for less money?
Old 03-29-2018, 12:30 AM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

I have to agree with you on this!

I have had this exact scenario happen to me.

In this case, I think I would definitely follow BlackbirdZ07's advise.

Pat
Old 03-29-2018, 06:34 AM
67Couperman
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BlackbirdZ07
Shady, shameful, and greedy? Maybe... many people would certainly agree. However, I'm an attorney so I evaluate the situation more in terms of legality than moral judgement (that's why everyone loves to hate lawyers!). I am certainly NOT giving you legal advice, but from the circumstances you described you may well have a breach of contract claim, which you could bring either to pursue money damages OR to pressure the seller into putting you in touch with the buyer. Good luck!!
Thank you Counselor. My late father was an attorney and didn't favor frivolous use of the law. I do understand it's the law not morality that rules, but the law will sometime punish bad morality. I know the dishonorable Seller did breach our agreement and in his own words "was hesitant in telling me, thinking the least said the better, knowing I'd want the buyer's contact information." Thank you for your knowledge Blackbird. 67Couperman
Old 03-29-2018, 06:39 AM
67Couperman
Intermediate

Originally Posted by provette67
Just guessing but it sounds like the seller received a higher offer. On this premise what makes you think the new owner will sell it? Let alone sell it for less money?
Provette67 your guess would be spot on! What makes me think the new owner would sell? Regrettable decision, buyers remorse, second thoughts, etcetera might be some reasons to sell. Less money, probably not, I certainly wouldn't expect that. Thanks Provette67 67Couperman

Get notified of new replies

To Find 194377S121363

Old 03-29-2018, 06:44 AM
67Couperman
Intermediate

I have to agree with you on this!

I have had this exact scenario happen to me.

In this case, I think I would definitely follow BlackbirdZ07's advise.

Pat
Pat, in your scenario what did you do? Did you go after the Seller via a lawsuit? Messy, time consuming and I'm not interested in a monetary judgement, if successful, I'm just interested in acquiring the car. Thank you Pat. 67 Couperman Looking for 194377S121363
Old 03-29-2018, 07:40 AM
67Couperman
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dklumpp
I'm Not trying to be rude, I'm just curious on why you did not buy it when it was for sale?
No worries dklumpp, that's not a rude question. I did "buy" the car I gave a $4,400 deposit, got a written, in the Seller's handwriting, Bill of Sale and a copy of the vehicle registration sent to me by Seller and signed by the Owner. No timetable was established in closing the sale (paying balance owed of 25K and picking up the vehicle). Time only became "of the essence" when the Seller notified me the property where the car was garaged was "soon going to closing" and he had to "move the car" and that it was no longer available for sale and he was returning my deposit. This all happened through an email dated 03/06/18. Prior to that, I had not heard from the Seller since 02/05/18 through another email. He went on to say, since the car was no longer available, I'd have to look elsewhere for a corvette and happy hunting!
The car was gone, sold to someone else, prior t me being notified about any of this on 03/06/18 by the "dishonorable" Seller.

If anything dklumpp that's what most people would consider "rude." Hey, I'm just looking for that car 194377S121363 67Couperman
Old 03-29-2018, 10:45 AM
BlackbirdZ07
Safety Car

Pat, in your scenario what did you do? Did you go after the Seller via a lawsuit? Messy, time consuming and I'm not interested in a monetary judgement, if successful, I'm just interested in acquiring the car. Thank you Pat. 67 Couperman Looking for 194377S121363
Unfortunately the best advice is probably to forget about this one and start the search for another one. You did pretty much everything right: you left a substantial deposit and you got the deal in writing. In hindsight, you should have picked the car up a lot faster. But I don't fault you for that because nobody really expects a seller to sell the car to someone else with a deposit and a written agreement. However, some people are just not honorable. Again, good luck.

Quick Reply: Find 194377S121363