Notices
C1 & C2 Corvettes for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used Classic Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes

FS: [CA] 1966 Sting Ray Coupe

Old 05-24-2019, 04:49 PM
Peninsula66
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default [CA] 1966 Sting Ray Coupe

Hi all - continuing off of my previous threads, I have decided to sell the car .

1966 Sting Ray coupe, originally silver with black interior, 327/350, 4 speed manual, original engine and transmission. This car has been in my family since June 1966. The car had one owner before my Uncle purchased it at that time. Apparently the original owner was either a private dealership or had a large collection of cars, as they had it for only brief time. The car was a daily driver for about 25 years. Almost everything was rebuilt/replaced at some point (decades of cataloged service records of over 30k invested starting in February of '67) but it was rarely garaged or covered properly. I have these records in an excel spreadsheet. Engine was rebuilt at 100k - notes from the rebuild: Motor R&R, pistons, bearings, cam, intake, exhaust, lifters, oil pump, clutch, hoses, Holly Carb. Bore motor, valve job, deck block, grind&mag crank. I had all 4 brakes/fuel tank replaced and carb rebuilt about 8 years ago but have only driven the car maybe 25 miles since. Interior is fairly worn but complete - I have the door panels off and some small trim items off and recently removed the old carpet. The car still fires up but doesn't run very well, as I'm told compression is in a bad state. This being said I have taken the car on medium length cruises (backfires and all) with the only major issue being cooling (leaky radiator hose, needs cooling system addressed). The frame appears straight and solid but not without surface rust from exposure to the elements throughout decades of sitting outside The car was garaged for approximately 20 years of its life.

I did just learn the car was involved in a minor accident in the late 60's - a truck was backing up and the trailer hitch penetrated somewhere near the drivers door/front wheel well. This was immediately repaired. The tailpipes were deleted after installing the new fuel tank - long story short but I was having a lot of issues with a "reputable" corvette shop (previous thread) and needed the car out. Stupidly, I was moving the car around the garage and one of the wheel dollies caught an edge and slammed up underneath the front bumped leaving a small gash. The car was stolen in the late 60's for an overnight joyride - it was quickly recovered but I believe they took the original steering wheel, shifter, carb, perhaps one or two smaller items which were immediately replaced. Currently has cracked windshield. I have two very full folders of various paperwork, such as: original bill of sale, owners guide, receipts, coupe vette focused magazines from the 70's/80's, polaroids from the engine rebuilt, etc. That's everything I know! I last drove the car about 2 years ago.

It's important to me that it goes to someone who has the means and passion to restore it. I hope to follow along from a distance if the new owner is kind enough to keep me in the loop.

Asking $33,000 OBO. The car is located in the San Francisco Bay Area. Happy to snag pics of anything more specific.

Scott

Last edited by Peninsula66; 05-24-2019 at 04:56 PM.
Old 05-24-2019, 09:24 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Good Luck With Sale!
Old 06-21-2019, 05:16 PM
Peninsula66
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Car has been sold.

Get notified of new replies

To [CA] 1966 Sting Ray Coupe