Notices
C1 & C2 Corvettes for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used Classic Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes

FS: Bob Wingate's 1967 corvette for sale

Old 06-27-2019, 09:49 PM
silverado69vette

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Bob Wingate's 1967 corvette for sale

The following users liked this post:
susanks1 (06-27-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 10:42 PM
randy ransome
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 157 Likes on 114 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year
2017 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of Year

At that price...not really for sale.

Old 06-28-2019, 03:01 AM
JohnFromVentura
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Perhaps, someone can post a good article on Bob Wingate. He was a fast moving car salesman in Covina CA. He brought new 67's in and immediately installed 3 taillights. He might have been responsible for this fad? Unfortunately, he ran into trouble with the law for selling owners cars and never paying them! Spent a few years in prison. Hope someone can add clarity to this!
DandyDon (06-28-2019)
Old 06-28-2019, 12:50 PM
68hemi
CF Senior Member

Received 638 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnFromVentura View Post
Perhaps, someone can post a good article on Bob Wingate. He was a fast moving car salesman in Covina CA. He brought new 67's in and immediately installed 3 taillights. He might have been responsible for this fad? Unfortunately, he ran into trouble with the law for selling owners cars and never paying them! Spent a few years in prison. Hope someone can add clarity to this!

Yes, we should celebrate thieves by paying 1 1/2 million dollars for something they previously owned. Buy some of OJs stuff too.
DandyDon (06-28-2019)
Old 06-28-2019, 01:55 PM
Crunch527
CF Senior Member

Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts

nothing special here...
Old 06-28-2019, 03:12 PM
BAD-L88
CF Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Would be interesting to see what it would bring at a Pebble Beach or Scottsdale type auction. The original owner does not matter, but if it is a one-off fro the factory like that it is something special. My guess is $200,000 to $300,000.
Old 06-28-2019, 03:16 PM
corvettewill
CF Senior Member

Received 276 Likes on 272 Posts

Photo of Bob Wingate of Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, Ca. For 10 yrs Bob was the #1 salesman in the nation
Old 06-28-2019, 06:30 PM
Midyrman
CF Senior Member

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Wingates ‘67

For a piece of Corvette history, it’s worth what someone is willing to pay. Clearly that (capable) someone must highly value the history associated with the Dealership, Wingate and the car itself.
Old 06-28-2019, 09:35 PM
c6rod
CF Senior Member

Received 49 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Wingates 67

I lived in LA in late 1967 and was waiting for the new 68 Corvettes to come out so that I could buy one. When I saw my first one and sat in it I looked at Bob and said get me a 67. He replied, none left. Everybody hated the 68's and wanted a new 67. He found me one and I picked it up before he put the 3 tail lights into it. He was a typical car salesman at the time. I didn't know he spent time in jail for defrauding customers.
Old 06-28-2019, 10:23 PM
3JsVette
CF Senior Member

Received 552 Likes on 525 Posts

It's been on ebay a few times recently. I guess no too much interest at that price.
Old 06-28-2019, 10:46 PM
Midyrman
CF Senior Member

Default Wingate

Originally Posted by c6rod View Post
I lived in LA in late 1967 and was waiting for the new 68 Corvettes to come out so that I could buy one. When I saw my first one and sat in it I looked at Bob and said get me a 67. He replied, none left. Everybody hated the 68's and wanted a new 67. He found me one and I picked it up before he put the 3 tail lights into it. He was a typical car salesman at the time. I didn't know he spent time in jail for defrauding customers.
Great story! I wonder how many customers said the same thing about the ‘68.
Old 06-29-2019, 02:10 AM
JohnFromVentura
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The woman that I bought my 67 from in 1972 bought it new from Harry Mann Chevrolet in Los Angeles in Dec 1967, after the Sharks came out. It was a base 300 coupe with only PW and AM-FM ... she said that she paid $3950 out the door. My son has the car now including the book with the POP plate.
Old 06-29-2019, 01:45 PM
68hemi
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by BAD-L88 View Post
Would be interesting to see what it would bring at a Pebble Beach or Scottsdale type auction. The original owner does not matter, but if it is a one-off fro the factory like that it is something special. My guess is $200,000 to $300,000.
They seem to be taunting the original owner for it’s value so they seem to think it adds value. My point is that given his criminal past it detracts from the value just as we should not celebrate Al Capone’s or Hitler’s vehicles. How much value do you suppose a holcost victim would assign to Hitler’s car? From the sound of it, it was simply a gift from Chevy for his sales achievements. We don’t even know from this ad how the car was/is equipped. It appears to be a 427/435 h.p. but who knows what has been changed over the years? Is it the original engine? Not the most desirable color.

Last edited by 68hemi; 06-29-2019 at 01:59 PM.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:42 AM
rayvaflav
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 181 Likes on 143 Posts

Great steering wheel, though.

Ray
Old 07-01-2019, 11:11 AM
jimgessner
CF Senior Member

Received 160 Likes on 105 Posts

The story on the car is here http://67fso.com

Bob was inducted into the BLOOMINGTON GOLD GREAT HALL in 2011.

“Corvette’s #1 Salesman”

By January 1, 1970, Chevrolet recognized Bob Wingate as the Top Corvette Salesman in the United States. He received the “Legion of Leaders” award for selling over 150 cars per year, a good portion of which were Corvettes. Although Wingate credits his success to Chevrolet, Joe
Pike, Zora Duntov and others,

It was Bob himself who was the guy on the ground promoting Corvette in the early days. Wingate was ''THE West Coast Pioneer at the grass roots level where the action was''

Starting in 1956 as a salesman for Clippinger Chevrolet, in California, Wingate sold Corvettes and got involved in all kinds of Corvette activities from 1958-1974. In 1959, he created his first Corvette club at Clippinger and in 1966 was one of the founding fathers and first President of Western States Corvette Council, [WSCC]. Many Clubs from Canada to Mexico were created with Wingate’s guidance.

Autocross, slalom and road racing events were also a big part of the West Coast Corvette culture. Bob was a leader who helped mold the national SCCA rules for autocross and slalom racing. No wonder Southern California Corvette sales skyrocketed. The guy was everywhere promoting Corvette. Wingate says, “It didn’t hurt that I got full support from my dealership and became good friends with Joe Pike and Zora Duntov.” But Wingate’s positive attitude was the key to sales.

By the mid-1970’s, Bob Wingate’s name drifted east and was THE name in “old” Corvettes along with Buxbaum in Chicago and Wasserman in New Jersey. We’d never met them, but by their names commonly seen in magazine ads, everyone knew, “they must be somebody really important”.

Turns out, they really were important!

BOB also found and sold the three 1968 L-88 Corvettes to the JIM GARNER AIR RACING TEAM from Gledhill Chevrolet. In these Hi Performance days Wingate sold many Camaro's, Corvairs, and passenger cars with high performance engines and transmissions. THIS WAS the TIME of ''GLORY YEARS OF HEARTBEAT OF CHEVROLET in AMERICA'', and Bob was a big person in the history of the Corvette and Chevrolet

Last edited by jimgessner; 07-01-2019 at 11:27 AM.
Old 07-01-2019, 02:59 PM
68hemi
CF Senior Member

For Chevrolet it was simply recognition of his sales abilities, all about the money. You can bet when he went to jail Chevy’s association with him would have ceased.

The car itself MAY be great but his ownership of it should NOT be celebrated or add any value to it.
Old 07-01-2019, 03:38 PM
Thunder80
CF Senior Member

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

I agree with you ( 68hemi ) - It ( the 67' ) was a gift for selling, and anything more is just added. True a part of history, but not great history. I bought and still have a 74' Nova Bob sold to his neighbor. Has a signed owners book. Wonder if he signed all he sold. It's a nice car, special, colored history, price is , well UP THERE. Best for your sale. WAY OUT OF MY RANGE
Years ago, there was a mag. article on him, his sales and the car. When I bought the Nova, he was into Novas at the time.
Old 07-01-2019, 03:41 PM
Thunder80
CF Senior Member

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

I was waiting for the new 68's to come out. When they did, I did not like them, bought a used 67' Coupe, small block,4 speed,AM/FM, speed warning. Great Vet.
Old 07-01-2019, 05:20 PM
Midyrman
CF Senior Member

Default Days of Past

Originally Posted by jimgessner View Post
The story on the car is here http://67fso.com

Bob was inducted into the BLOOMINGTON GOLD GREAT HALL in 2011.

“Corvette’s #1 Salesman”

By January 1, 1970, Chevrolet recognized Bob Wingate as the Top Corvette Salesman in the United States. He received the “Legion of Leaders” award for selling over 150 cars per year, a good portion of which were Corvettes. Although Wingate credits his success to Chevrolet, Joe
Pike, Zora Duntov and others,

It was Bob himself who was the guy on the ground promoting Corvette in the early days. Wingate was ''THE West Coast Pioneer at the grass roots level where the action was''

Starting in 1956 as a salesman for Clippinger Chevrolet, in California, Wingate sold Corvettes and got involved in all kinds of Corvette activities from 1958-1974. In 1959, he created his first Corvette club at Clippinger and in 1966 was one of the founding fathers and first President of Western States Corvette Council, [WSCC]. Many Clubs from Canada to Mexico were created with Wingate’s guidance.

Autocross, slalom and road racing events were also a big part of the West Coast Corvette culture. Bob was a leader who helped mold the national SCCA rules for autocross and slalom racing. No wonder Southern California Corvette sales skyrocketed. The guy was everywhere promoting Corvette. Wingate says, “It didn’t hurt that I got full support from my dealership and became good friends with Joe Pike and Zora Duntov.” But Wingate’s positive attitude was the key to sales.

By the mid-1970’s, Bob Wingate’s name drifted east and was THE name in “old” Corvettes along with Buxbaum in Chicago and Wasserman in New Jersey. We’d never met them, but by their names commonly seen in magazine ads, everyone knew, “they must be somebody really important”.

Turns out, they really were important!

BOB also found and sold the three 1968 L-88 Corvettes to the JIM GARNER AIR RACING TEAM from Gledhill Chevrolet. In these Hi Performance days Wingate sold many Camaro's, Corvairs, and passenger cars with high performance engines and transmissions. THIS WAS the TIME of ''GLORY YEARS OF HEARTBEAT OF CHEVROLET in AMERICA'', and Bob was a big person in the history of the Corvette and Chevrolet
Thanks Jim!

Regardless of whether we like, dislike, celebrate or dishonor......knowing the facts as best we can acquire them is always important. I’d heard of Bob and his Corvette previously but did not know the extent that he influenced the Corvette world during the day or thereafter.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:17 PM
Dan Hampton
CF Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Not exactly a Steve McQueen provenance......

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FS: Bob Wingate's 1967 corvette for sale

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.