C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Trim Tag/Protecto Plate Guidance Needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 07:31 PM
67' Black Conv.
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trim Tag/Protecto Plate Guidance Needed

I recently purchased a 1967 convertible VIN #194677S105578. My concern is that there may be a discrepency between the trim tag and the protecto plate with regard to the interior. If so, it would make me concerned that perhaps the entire car was misrepresented by the seller. The seller did guarantee in writing that the car is an all matching numbers car and I am confident that he will honor that if it turns out that it is not. However, before I jump to any conclusions, I wanted to do my homework. The trim tag indicates:

E07 (December body build date);
S3151;
Style 67 467;
900AA (Tuxedo Black);
STD (Black Vinyl Int)

The car also came with a Protecto Plate which indicates the following, in addition to the owner's name, dealer name, etc:

402 900 19467S105578.H
V1108HTH A01201W Z
P7T04

My understanding of this information is as follows:

402 900 = Black Leather Interior; Tuxedo Black Exterior

V1108HTH = Nov. 8; 327/350; High Lift Cam

P7T04 = Muncie 4Spd; 1967; December 4th

The H after the VIN indicates Holley Carb; the Z indicates a Dec. build month

A01201W = 3.70 Positraction; December 1st; Warren Motive Plant

As listed above, the VIN Number on the Protecto Plate matches the VIN number of the car, both under the passenger dash and on the engine pad. All of the numbers appear to indicate an early 1967 (December 1966). I don't know enough about the numbers to pin down a precise date in December. My concern is that the Protecto Plate indicates 402 which I understand to mean the car originally came equipped with black leather interior (the car does have black leather interior, which appears to be worn and all original).

Yet, the trim tag STD code would seem to indicate that the car originally came equipped with Black vinyl interior? If someone was going to go through the effort to forge a reproduction trim tag (or perhaps protecto plate), and the effort to get the December dates all in line, it doesn't make sense that they would overlook not matching up the interior codes? Something just doesn't make sense?

I carefully moved the rubber gas neck seal aside and inserted a flex light to see if I could get a glimpse of a tank sticker, in which case I would drop the tank. Unfortunately I was not able to see anything.

Is it likely that the trim tag could read STD and the Protecto Plate 402 without something being wrong? Please advise. This is my first posting and my first C2. I know I have much to learn and greatly appreciate your guidance.

Thank You,
David
Old 06-07-2005, 11:14 PM
ZRGator
Racer

St. Jude Donor '05

JohnZ oughta weigh in with the answers soon enough..hang on, help's comin' and congrats on the car. Welcome aboard
Old 06-08-2005, 01:49 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

All the numbers/dates line up nicely and make sense, except for the trim code difference between the trim tag and the P-O-P. It's conceivable that the 402 code on the P-O-P is a factory error, and much less likely that the trim tag "STD" code is an error; only the original paperwork (tank sticker, Car Shipper, or original window sticker) would answer that question.

In any event, the only difference between STD and 402 is the seat covers - nothing else is affected. From a judging perspective, the trim tag holds sway - that's the car's as-built description; P-O-P's aren't judged, nor is any other documentation. If the car's configuration differs from that shown on the trim tag, the burden of proof for that deviation is on the owner.

I'd drive it and enjoy it - sounds like a great original car; if you ever want to have it Flight Judged, I'd have the seat covers replaced with black vinyl.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:16 PM
gonefishn
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Although I've had my C2 for many years wasn't aware of this board so this is also my first posting. Sure could have saved me time.

I would check the Trim Tag very carefully to ensure that it is an original trim tag for piece of mind. As John mentioned, the trim tag is the judging criteria and an authentic tag is important if you go that route.

John
Old 06-08-2005, 06:51 PM
67' Black Conv.
2nd Gear

Default Next Teir of Investigation

Gentleman,

Thank you. Yesterday evening I checked the transmission number, which also matched with the transmission number on the POP - P7T04, which obviously doesn't help resolve the issue.

Yesterday I also found that NCRS has a publication tailored to specifically address authentication of trim tags. I located it on the NCRS site, ordered it and hope to have it in the next week or so. The description of the publication is below and it seems like it will be very helpful. Once it arrives I will use it to verify the authenticity of my trim tag and then update everyone as to what I find. To be continued....

Respectfully,
David

NCRS Authentication Library Volume 1 GM Issued 1963-67 Corvette Trim Tags With Exception Control Letter Code Listings and Sequential Photographic Analysis

By Al Grenning and Roy Sinor with generous assistance from Bill Calorico, Nick Culkowski and the NCRS Team Leaders.

This book provides the means by which original GM issued Corvette trim tag examples can be both INTERPRETED and IDENTIFIED with objectivity by any motivated person with the knowledge contained within and a few simple tools. The bottom line is that all Midyear tags came from a like master and demonstrate identically repeated aberrations. As a practical aid for enthusiasts, a huge number of these aberrations have been photographed, catalogued, and documented. This research allows for an extremely reliable system for identification of original trim tags. The “translated” ECL code schedules mean that you can also identify appropriate options originally on the car with absolute certainty- not just exterior and interior colors! While this book contains extreme close-up photos of the various embossed characters to demonstrate the repeated aberrations, nothing more than a small flashlight and inexpensive 10-15x magnification loupe is necessary to benefit from the knowledge in this book. The book is coil bound, 8 1/2 x 11 inch format with 124 pages of text, tables, and extremely detailed photos.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:20 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by 67' Black Conv.
Yesterday I also found that NCRS has a publication tailored to specifically address authentication of trim tags. I located it on the NCRS site, ordered it and hope to have it in the next week or so.
I have the trim tag book, as do most experienced judges; the information and photos in section III will enable you to verify the originality of your trim tag in less than a minute.

Get notified of new replies

To Trim Tag/Protecto Plate Guidance Needed

Quick Reply: Trim Tag/Protecto Plate Guidance Needed