C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Vent window adhesive?

Old 06-27-2005, 06:21 PM
Joemac8
Drifting

Received 2,250 Likes on 436 Posts

Default Vent window adhesive?

Had an adventure today. Anytime you drive a C2 coupe in 95+ degree weather it is an adventure.

Today's surprise was the drivers vent window. I opened it and noticed that it protruded back from the frame. I grasped the window and voila, it came out in my hand. It appears to be completely intact.

Is there some adhesive to use to "glue" it back in place? If not, how is it retained in the frame? I would surely hate to loose an original window.
Old 06-27-2005, 06:56 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

I've never seen any adhesive, but then again, I haven't taken hundreds apart either.

The original "gasket" is like sticky cloth electricians tape. I think that the stickiness of the gasket, as well as the mechanical retention of the frame holds the vent glass in. Chuck
Old 06-27-2005, 07:12 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,948 Posts

It's glass bedding tape. You can probably find some at a glass shop, although it comes in different thicknesses which makes it kind of tricky. I think you can also order it from some Corvette places like Dr. Rebuild. It's would be difficult to replace it without removing the vent window frame by removing the regulator and drilling out the hinge rivit. If the existing tape is still in good shape and your not in the frame of mind to remove the vent glass frame right now, and the glass will go back in, you can probably sparingly use some sort of semi-hardening gasket adhesive to reset and hold it for now.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:05 PM
ragtopman
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11

The stuff your looking for if its still called what I called it way back when is 'Ever-seal'. You should be able to get it at your local friendly auto glass store. It comes in various thicknesses, is about 2" wide and comes on a roll.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:14 PM
stepinwolf
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default I got some

Joemac8,

It's also called glass seating tape ( check pic ) and the General use to stock it. I was fortunate to be able to get my hands on some before they were no longer available. Shown is the tape for the main door glass ( bottom ) and at the top is the thinner tape used for the vent window.

The tape is also getting very difficult to find at most glass shops, because the glass mounting methods have changed, and the tape is no longer in use. If you don't find any locally, 10$ plus stamps will get you enough for all four pieces of glass.

Let me know if I can help

Stepinwolf
-
-
Old 06-27-2005, 10:50 PM
Joemac8
Drifting

Thanks, I'll start looking at glass shops tomorrow and let you know.

This board is GREAT!
Old 06-27-2005, 11:10 PM
stepinwolf
Racer

Originally Posted by Joemac8
Thanks, I'll start looking at glass shops tomorrow and let you know.

This board is GREAT!

We think so too, and that is why most people will go out of their way to try and help you out.

Drive your Corvettes as if each day was your last
Old 06-28-2005, 06:25 AM
stepinwolf
Racer

Default Joe, you got mail

Joe,

I responded to your enquiry so check your inbox

Stepinwolf
Old 06-28-2005, 07:49 AM
JSB69
Burning Brakes

The tape was lubricated with soapy water during the glass installation. Back in the 60's, the tape was a combination of asbestos and rubber. The glass retention is based on mechanical interference after the soapy water evaporates, not stickiness.
Old 06-28-2005, 07:53 AM
stepinwolf
Racer

Default Right on

Originally Posted by JSB69
The tape was lubricated with soapy water during the glass installation. Back in the 60's, the tape was a combination of asbestos and rubber. The glass retention is based on mechanical interference after the soapy water evaporates, not stickiness.
You hit the nail right on the head.
Old 06-28-2005, 06:05 PM
LB66383
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I just installed a new vent window in my car as part of the interior restoration. There's no need to remove and regulators or drill any rivets. Since the window already fell out, just clean up the window and the channel thorougly. Wrap the glass seating tape around the edge of the window, and slide it into the channel. Then cut off the excess tape with an X-acto knife. I got the tape from Corvette Central. One roll is more than enough to do both windows.
Old 06-28-2005, 07:10 PM
Joemac8
Drifting

Stepinwolf has kindly agreed to send me some tape. I will soak the tape with soapy water and install it. I will let you know how it works out.

I am taking a risk however. Tonight is a Beach Boys Concert and I have tickets. Apparently there are several groups touted as the Beach Boys now touring. It's anyone's guess which Beach Boys group this will be. Nonetheless, it just wouldn't be right if the Warden (wife) and I went in my Suburban instead of the vett. Hopefully, me, the Ball & Chain, the vett and the vent window will all get home tonight in one piece.

It sure is great being 18 again and taking my best girl on a date to see the Beach Boys in a corvette!
Old 06-28-2005, 07:47 PM
Tiros
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

You should never open the vent window
Especially the LH side.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:16 AM
DutchJ&M
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Tiros
Especially the LH side.
Why not?/
Old 06-29-2005, 10:33 AM
stepinwolf
Racer

Default Eh !

Originally Posted by Tiros
Especially the LH side.
Had they ( GM ) not intended for the vent window to be opened, they probably would not have installed a handle

Stepinwolf

Get notified of new replies

To Vent window adhesive?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Vent window adhesive?