C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Collector Car Insurance Claims Or Complaints

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 05:59 PM
Glenn"Mr.Blue"Smith
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you've made up your mind now, but will add my .02.
I'm with Grundy. I've got $95,000 on my 66 vette Pro Street Custom for just $600 a year and a $1,000.00 deductable! They have been great. I started at $75,000, but just bumped it up with all the current updates to the car. No questions, just the necessary additional rate increase. They have a 2,400 mile limit BUT all you have to do is tell them you're going on a cruise, like I did with the Hot Rod Power Tour, and there is no problem. They just don't want the car used for daily or primary, of course like all the others also.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:19 PM
valrico_stingray
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I called Hagerty and Grundy today. I bought the car with the engine and transmission out and needing a new interior. I'm in the middle of redoing the entire car now and Grundy requires the car be 80% or more restored to insure, so they are a no-go. Hagerty asked a few questions such as current value and proposed value when the work is done and is sending me the quote in the mail. They want 4 pictures, professional appraisal not required. We'll see.

Chuck
Old 09-07-2005, 07:56 PM
61rand
Intermediate

Valrico4,

Please keep us posted on the outcome with Hagerty. I for one am very interested as I have an unrestored 61 fuelie that I'm looking to insure.

Thanks!
Old 09-10-2005, 03:56 PM
anmracing
Racer

St. Jude Donor '09

Default unrestored car-Hagerty a no-go

Originally Posted by 61rand
Valrico4,

Please keep us posted on the outcome with Hagerty. I for one am very interested as I have an unrestored 61 fuelie that I'm looking to insure.

Thanks!
Valrico4
I asked Hagerty to cover my Plymouth and they balked since the vehicle is essentially unrestored (back to square one, I told them) and further, I have no completion date in mind (funds are low to nil). She also told me that if I intended to race as much as I had in the past, that they likely won't cover it anyhow when it is restored. That said, I'm wondering how or even if people are able to insure their 'race' or semi-race cars? In the past, I raced the Plymouth nearly every weekend when it was a daily driver. Therefore, I knew that my general insurance would not cover an incident at the track. Any ideas from a racer? Or are we stuck in the proverbial hard place?

ps-they'll fine with covering the vette, but it's a 3.5/5 with no track time.

AnM
Old 09-11-2005, 02:24 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Yup, you're in a "hard place". Virtually no insurer (especially "collector car" insurers) will cover you for any sort of a track incident of any kind. You might try K&K Insurance - they're about the only one I know of that considers insuring race cars, and they're not cheap.
Old 09-11-2005, 11:45 PM
MosportGreen66
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Mecom Racer
From everything I've ever read on the forums, Hagerty is the best... so that's who I went with. Prices are very reasonable too.
I am very satisfied with Hagerty!
Old 09-12-2005, 10:53 AM
Thomas66
Racer

Haggerty is the one I would have gone with, but:

I have a son at home that has had a an accident and a speeding violation. He has been a passenger in my '66 three times in the three years I have owned it. He has not been in the car once this summer. No interest at all in the vette.

Haggerty will not insure the Corvette as long as he lives in the household and is listed on our general policy. PA is evidentily one of the few states the does not allow an exclusive driver waiver. So I am at present stuck with having the Corvette on my general policy with me being listed as the driver.

Old 09-12-2005, 11:10 AM
Glenn"Mr.Blue"Smith
Drifting

[QUOTE=Thomas66]Haggerty is the one I would have gone with, but:

I have a son at home that has had a an accident and a speeding violation. He has been a passenger in my '66 three times in the three years I have owned it. He has not been in the car once this summer. No interest at all in the vette.

Haggerty will not insure the Corvette as long as he lives in the household and is listed on our general policy. PA is evidentily one of the few states the does not allow an exclusive driver waiver. So I am at present stuck with having the Corvette on my general policy with me being listed as the driver. [QUOTE]

Did you contact Grundy? Might be different.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:53 AM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I assume the son at home does not have a car to drive seperate and apart from the ones "assigned" to you and your wife, noe of which is the Corvette?

You might be bumping into the "every licensed driver in the household needs to have access to a car, not including the old Corvette" rule.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:51 PM
Thomas66
Racer

Originally Posted by ctjackster
I assume the son at home does not have a car to drive seperate and apart from the ones "assigned" to you and your wife, noe of which is the Corvette?

You might be bumping into the "every licensed driver in the household needs to have access to a car, not including the old Corvette" rule.

That may be it! I drive a pickup. My wife has a car which is also driven by our son. Since his car is no longer with us. The corvette, not a daily driver, is the third vehicle. Thanks.
Old 09-12-2005, 04:05 PM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

classic car insurers like Hagerty need proof that the classic car will not be used as someone's primary means of transportation, they usually satisfy themselves by requesting a copy of your "regular" car insurance policy showing the daily driver cars, and compare that to the licensed drivers in teh household. If there are more drviers than cars (not including the classic car) you will flunk this requirement.
Old 09-13-2005, 06:14 AM
Birdball
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In cases like this, I like to follow one simple Rule... WWJD...

That is, what would JohnZ do?
Old 09-13-2005, 05:00 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

I just follow this simple rule:

Regardless of the number of classic cars,

# of daily drivers must equal or exceed the # of licensed drivers

One can never have too many classic cars
Old 09-13-2005, 05:55 PM
Paddy
Advanced

Default My Experience with Hagerty

I ahve to tell you about a good experience I had with agerty and a BAD experience I had with my first car. I ahd just bought a restored 67 Camaro SS 350 Clone w/ PG. I drove it to a car show (my first) and the promoter made everyone register first before driving into the show. (I later learned that most all other shows allow you to park first and then come back to register)
I put the car in park and left it unoccupied, but running while I went to pay my fee. While in line the lady at the tent said "your cars moving!!).
I turned around to see that my car had slipped out of gear and was backing up toward a light pole. Before I could chase it down, it hit the pole, wiping out the entire side. (Thank God, it did not hit anyone or another car.)
I had only had Hagerty as an insurer for about 3 weeks, but the paid to tow my car, and get it completely restored without any hassle.
I sold the Camaro to buy my 63 SWC and I have kept dealing with Hagerty ever since - they have been great!
Paddy
Old 09-13-2005, 06:27 PM
RoadVettes
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Paddy
I ahve to tell you about a good experience I had with agerty and a BAD experience I had with my first car. I ahd just bought a restored 67 Camaro SS 350 Clone w/ PG. I drove it to a car show (my first) and the promoter made everyone register first before driving into the show. (I later learned that most all other shows allow you to park first and then come back to register)
I put the car in park and left it unoccupied, but running while I went to pay my fee. While in line the lady at the tent said "your cars moving!!).
I turned around to see that my car had slipped out of gear and was backing up toward a light pole. Before I could chase it down, it hit the pole, wiping out the entire side. (Thank God, it did not hit anyone or another car.)
I had only had Hagerty as an insurer for about 3 weeks, but the paid to tow my car, and get it completely restored without any hassle.
I sold the Camaro to buy my 63 SWC and I have kept dealing with Hagerty ever since - they have been great!
Paddy
I have haggerty also, and it's good to hear they took good care of your Camaro. Hope I never need to find out on my own.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:09 AM
froogleyankee
Intermediate

If you make a claim, does your premium spike?

Like if your issue is for a few hundred bucks (or a few hundred over the deductible) does your annual get whacked?
Old 09-14-2005, 01:29 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,321 Likes on 2,770 Posts

I had a weird sun damage incident with my paint and Great American paid, no questions asked.

No spike to the premium either. I've used them for 2 '63s, a '58 and a '66 Mustang.

Get notified of new replies

To Collector Car Insurance Claims Or Complaints

Old 11-05-2017, 08:37 PM
Wivenhoegarage
3rd Gear

Default Grundy Insurance

If you have Grundy-AIG Insurance, I'd recommend you park your car and find a new company to insure your Corvette or any other collector car they "cover.". Nearly two months after my Corvette (a four year restoration) caught fire they have not settled on the the claim. I have filed a complaint with my state Insurance regulatory agency. It's bad enough to lose your car without being treated this way. Had as many as seven cars with them and as few as four...guess how many they cover now?
Old 11-05-2017, 09:23 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

had major issues with AIG never again;been with NCM (rep is Adam Boca here on the forum). No claims but super good service and communication thats important to me.
Went to hagerty prior to Adam sure their co is good but price was steep..I pay 0 deductible btw. When Hagerty asks you if your car is modified (hp) sit down for your quote it tripled they got weird with me as if I was some teenage st racer.

BTW if you have an unfinished project by all means insure it you never know what can happen. Page Adam here on the forum.
The following users liked this post:
Adam Boca (11-06-2017)
Old 11-05-2017, 09:53 PM
Nicola
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Wivenhoegarage

If you have Grundy-AIG Insurance, I'd recommend you park your car and find a new company to insure your Corvette or any other collector car they "cover.". Nearly two months after my Corvette (a four year restoration) caught fire they have not settled on the the claim. I have filed a complaint with my state Insurance regulatory agency. It's bad enough to lose your car without being treated this way. Had as many as seven cars with them and as few as four...guess how many they cover now?
Why are they denying the claim

Quick Reply: Collector Car Insurance Claims Or Complaints