C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Collector Car Insurance Claims Or Complaints

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 04:38 PM
jron
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Collector Car Insurance Claims Or Complaints

Has anyone out there had any experiences with Grundy Collector Car Insurance, good or bad... Looking for insurance for my 62 but don't want to get ripped off if I should ever (heaven forbid) have a claim. Anything on other Collector Car Insurance companies would be greatly appreciated!
Old 09-06-2005, 04:52 PM
64roadster
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

I use Haggerty and have never filed a claim. I do know of someone who's car was stolen and they paid the claim without hesitation.
Old 09-06-2005, 05:11 PM
Mecom Racer
Burning Brakes

From everything I've ever read on the forums, Hagerty is the best... so that's who I went with. Prices are very reasonable too.
Old 09-06-2005, 07:21 PM
rongold
Drifting

Location: Putnam Valley, New York. Amateur Radio Operator K2NS
Received 163 Likes on 116 Posts

Default Classic Insurance

Do any of these "Classic Car Insurance" companies allow you to "drive your car" ??? Most of the ones that I have talked to say "No pleasure cruising--Only driving to and from car shows, or getting the car serviced". Which one will allow you to drive the car ???
Old 09-06-2005, 07:24 PM
shft22
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rongold
Do any of these "Classic Car Insurance" companies allow you to "drive your car" ??? Most of the ones that I have talked to say "No pleasure cruising--Only driving to and from car shows, or getting the car serviced". Which one will allow you to drive the car ???
Hagerty does, no restriction on use, just were is kept
Old 09-06-2005, 07:35 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,952 Posts

American Collector Car Insurance prohibits use in business or driving to and from work on a reqular basis, and limits mileage, but otherwise doesn't restrict driving for pleasure.
Old 09-06-2005, 07:54 PM
anmracing
Racer

St. Jude Donor '09

Hey guys, I posted a similar thread on c3 today, but you seem to have beat me to the punch. Do any of you have vehicles in various stages of restoration that you insure? I've got a Plymouth that has been backburnered pretty frequently due to lack of funds, but still runs and I'm trying to get it registered and back on the road-makes the goal of working on that much tastier when I can see the burn out marks in the street! Any feedback?
AnM
Old 09-06-2005, 08:08 PM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by shft22
Hagerty does, no restriction on use, just were is kept
They ALL restrict you from using your classic car as a daily driver. Most restrict use even further, Haggerty is one of the more flexible ones, but even they have their limits - driving it to work a few times a year is as much as they would like to see.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:10 PM
Seecar
Instructor

Default Grundy Insurance

I have both my vehicles insured through Grundy. I had Hagerty for a couple of years then switched to Grundy. I received more coverage for less dollars.......Several of my streetrod friends use Grundy but no one has had to file a claim. Classic car owners take care of their vehicles but accidents do happen. We'll just have to wait and find out how good they are..... Grundy allows you to drive your vehicles but not as a daily driver. They don't check mileage from year to year!

Juan
Old 09-06-2005, 09:12 PM
red63vette
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would stay with the top few: Hagerty
Grundy
American Collectors
Leland west

Most casual driving requirements are similar. Keep in mind that these people are insurance agents, not insurance companies. Look at the insurance company as well. Grundy and Hagerty are the 2 top providers.

I am in the insurance business, and have a 67 Vette BB ($120,000), and a concours 69 GTO Judge ($75,000) with Grundy because the carrier they use is Chubb Insurance Co. Chubb is, in my opinion, the finest insurance company around in settling claims. They are also one of the financially strongest.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:18 PM
327Heaven
Drifting

Originally Posted by Seecar
I have both my vehicles insured through Grundy. I had Hagerty for a couple of years then switched to Grundy. I received more coverage for less dollars.......Several of my streetrod friends use Grundy but no one has had to file a claim. Classic car owners take care of their vehicles but accidents do happen. We'll just have to wait and find out how good they are..... Grundy allows you to drive your vehicles but not as a daily driver. They don't check mileage from year to year!

Juan

I also use Grundy with no complaints. Very liberal in application (except no driveway parking overnight) and no mileage limit according to the policy language. I have an agreed upon value of $32k on my 64 coupe. Haggerty not yet available in our neck of the woods.

Old 09-06-2005, 09:26 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,326 Likes on 2,774 Posts

I have been very happy with Great American.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:37 PM
65vettish
Instructor

I'm also in the insurance business (25 years) and insure my '65 thru Hagerty. They use one of the CNA member companies as their carrier. I'm not a big fan of CNA but when I had a small claim last year ($400) it was no problem getting it settled. That's because Hagerty, and other Managing General Agents (MGAs) like them, have underwriting and specified claims draft authority delegated to them by their carriers. Hagerty settled the claim using their authority w/o involving CNA.

MGAs' depend on their ability to service clients quickly and efficiently to attract more business. Hagerty, Grundy and others survive quite well using this business concept.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:57 PM
Donny Brass
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 74 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019
2017 C2 of the Year Finalist

I have had Hagerty for 8 years, had my first claim last fall for a windshield.

The worked with the shop, sprung for the date coded glass, weatherstrip, moulding clips and screws, and paid the repair shop promptly.

They didn't even have a problem with me having the shop pull the moldings, and sending them out for polishing while the car sat.

I was impressed byt the level of service and the follow up on the claim, from initial call to completion.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:43 AM
StrayDog
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

I have had GrundyWorldwide for years, never filed a claim.....but I like the unlimited milage factor & agreed on value, in my case $50,000 on my 66 B/B............the Dog

Last edited by StrayDog; 09-07-2005 at 10:50 AM.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:48 AM
StrayDog
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by rongold
Grundy worldwide , no mileage restrictions ,drive anywhere but to work on a continious basis & agreed on value.low rates , nice people.....but have never filed a claim so cant comment ion than aspect.......the Dog others may have diff opinions.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:22 PM
Mecom Racer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by anmracing
Hey guys, I posted a similar thread on c3 today, but you seem to have beat me to the punch. Do any of you have vehicles in various stages of restoration that you insure? I've got a Plymouth that has been backburnered pretty frequently due to lack of funds, but still runs and I'm trying to get it registered and back on the road-makes the goal of working on that much tastier when I can see the burn out marks in the street! Any feedback?
AnM

Hagerty will insure an ongoing undriveable project car for an 'agreed value' which is the only way to insure a classic car. Many others won't. All they need are some pictures and descriptions of the car per their application process... very easy. You can even bump the coverage up as the work and money invested progresses. They understand our hobby.

Get notified of new replies

To Collector Car Insurance Claims Or Complaints

Old 09-07-2005, 12:42 PM
ghostrider20
Le Mans Master

Received 235 Likes on 173 Posts

I would like to compare coverage vs. cost of policie.

I pay $17.00 a month for Comprehensive, with a $2000.00 deductable.

Storage insurance is $5.00 a month, must be in a garage.

Mark
Old 09-07-2005, 01:09 PM
anmracing
Racer

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Mecom Racer
Hagerty will insure an ongoing undriveable project car for an 'agreed value' which is the only way to insure a classic car. Many others won't. All they need are some pictures and descriptions of the car per their application process... very easy. You can even bump the coverage up as the work and money invested progresses. They understand our hobby.
Thanks Mecom Racer-I'm going to try Hagerty to see if they'll go for it. I've never visited the C1&2 forums before, but you guys are pretty funny-and informative. Thx!
AnM
Old 09-07-2005, 01:20 PM
65nassau
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

It might not be helpful to the original thread question, but I found Hagerty a different way. I went to my regular insurance company, (which is Allstate), they sort of underwrote the insurance thru Hagerty and I guess got like a finder's fee or something.

Needless to say, I didn't know much about collector car insurance then. I think I logged onto the corvette forum a few days after getting (and insuring) my car.

Quick Reply: Collector Car Insurance Claims Or Complaints