C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1960 Steering box leaking....

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2005, 09:07 PM
kenmo
Le Mans Master

Received 107 Likes on 51 Posts

Default 1960 Steering box leaking....

My steering box in my 1960 is starting to leak... I use 80 weight oil to fill the steering box... About 5 or 6 years ago my steering box was leaking however I was able to fix it by adding a stop oil treatment for gear boxes... I can no longer find this treatment at my local Canadian Tire store... And I forget who made this remedy...

I am thinking of replacing the oil with grease...at least that should have a harder time seeping out...

Any suggestions on oil vs grease...??? What type of grease should I use??? General chasis lube...???

Also how diificult is it to replace the seals / gaskets on these steering boxes....??? I'm assuming the steering box have to be removed....

Cheers

Kenmo
Old 09-10-2005, 09:43 PM
67L36Driver
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Use chassis grease. Gear box oil will always leak out given enough time.
Old 09-10-2005, 10:52 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,768 Likes on 1,670 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Not only should you switch to chassis grease, but, back in the late 50s, GM sent out a service letter recommending the change.
Old 09-10-2005, 11:20 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Recommend a chassis grease that is rated "EP" and states it has "moly" (for extreme pressure and the plating action of the moly for less friction and wear).

If you have headers, you may want to go to a synthetic or semi-synthetic grease for the higher temp rating due to the closeness of the headers to the steering box.

Example: The Valvoline DuraBlend is a semi-synthetic chassis grease rated at -25F to +400F, while the full synthetic Valvoline SynPower is rated for -60F to +425F. The DuraBlend I use is moly fortified and is a "Complex EP" grease, available at most auto parts dealers (part#279 for the standard grease gun tube).

Plasticman
Old 09-11-2005, 09:15 AM
CJS
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am using a modern CV boot grease in mine. Works well, it is a little thinner viscosity than chassis grease.
Old 09-12-2005, 08:01 AM
kenmo
Le Mans Master

Is it ok to replace the oil that has leaked out with grease...??? I guess what I'm asking "Is it ok to mix the grease and oil" or should I remove all the oil before replacing it with the proper grease....???

Thanks muchly

Kenmo
Old 09-12-2005, 12:33 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Originally Posted by kenmo
Is it ok to replace the oil that has leaked out with grease...??? I guess what I'm asking "Is it ok to mix the grease and oil" or should I remove all the oil before replacing it with the proper grease....???

Thanks muchly

Kenmo
Ideally, you would want to start "fresh" with all the old oil out (plus any contaminents out as well).

But, if you remove as much of the oil as you can, the remaining oil should not "hurt" anything. The oil will simply continue to leak out where it can.

What you don't want to do is mix greases of different base soaps (like you don't want to put in a Lithium based grease, and then add a calcium based version, etc.). Always stay with the same grease soap base (unless you are sure all the old grease has been removed).

Plasticman
Old 09-13-2005, 10:07 AM
kenmo
Le Mans Master

Should I attempt to replace the gasket or seal that is leaking...??? Or not worry....

Thanks muchly

Kenmo
Old 09-13-2005, 05:56 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Originally Posted by kenmo
Should I attempt to replace the gasket or seal that is leaking...??? Or not worry....

Thanks muchly

Kenmo
Ken,

Really depends on how much it is leaking, and how much it bothers you. A small seep might really irk some guys off (and tear into it), but others will wipe it up (and go on to something more important in life). Whereas a large leak would be a constant mess, and demand repair (can let dirt in, as well as oil out).

Me, I would find the right time (I am currently in the middle of having a new home built, so now is not the right time for me) to fix it properly, and do it all at once (remove all the old oil, fix and adjust, and replace with grease).

Good Luck,
Plasticman
Old 09-13-2005, 06:16 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,768 Likes on 1,670 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Replacement of the seal and gasket CAN be done with the steering box in the car, although, it will require partial disassembly of the steering box, mainly removal of the sector shaft, which means removal of the pitman arm from the sector shaft. It that pitman arm has never been removed, it may be a pretty good chore getting it off with the steering box/column in the car!!!
Old 09-13-2005, 07:56 PM
CJS
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you don't like the idea of heavy chassis grease in the box, use the constant velocity joint grease that comes in a 3 oz. packet from your parts store. It is very thin, but won't leak out like oil.

Get notified of new replies

To 1960 Steering box leaking....

Quick Reply: 1960 Steering box leaking....