C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Starter wiring.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 06:23 PM
Veet 66
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter wiring.

There are 3 wires on the starter on my 66. one is a red wire that is with the positive cable. One Purple wire which I think starts the starter when the ignition is turned on to start.
There is one orange wire that connects to the starter and goes up and connects to the coil and then to the switch. What is the orange wire from the starter to the coil for? I removed the orange wire off of the starter and left it un hooked and the car still started and ran.
Old 09-11-2005, 06:55 PM
rongold
Drifting

Location: Putnam Valley, New York. Amateur Radio Operator K2NS
Received 163 Likes on 116 Posts

Default Starter Wiring

Originally Posted by Veet 66
There are 3 wires on the starter on my 66. one is a red wire that is with the positive cable. One Purple wire which I think starts the starter when the ignition is turned on to start.
There is one orange wire that connects to the starter and goes up and connects to the coil and then to the switch. What is the orange wire from the starter to the coil for? I removed the orange wire off of the starter and left it un hooked and the car still started and ran.
=================================
That orange wire (which should be pink--maybe someone spliced an orange wire onto the pink one somewhere above the starter) connects the starter "R" terminal with the + terminal of the ignition coil. The purpose of this wire is to provide the ignition coil with full battery voltage during cranking to provide a hotter spark to get the engine going. It is only energized while the starter is cranking. Most engines will start OK without it, but it is recommended that it be connected. It does nothing when the engine is running.
Old 09-12-2005, 08:33 AM
Veet 66
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply. I am running a TPI with an HEI distributor and I wanted to make sure when I did the change I wasn't missing something.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:47 AM
Tcheairs38655
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Marking this topic for future reference

Get notified of new replies

To Starter wiring.

Quick Reply: Starter wiring.