C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

spare tire carrier removal-how to?

Old 09-14-2005, 09:40 AM
Rob_64-365
Drifting

Received 618 Likes on 360 Posts

Default spare tire carrier removal-how to?

I'm going to relpalce the u-joints, and change the rear end gear oil (planning on pumping it out) on and give it a general clean up of the rear suspension/underbody of my car, so I was looking around under there and looking at removing the spare tire carrier on my 64 vert, and the two long bolts holding the forward edge of the carrier that go up into the frame look like they screw up into some sort of nut accessable thru access holes, but I dont want to just start turning them and see what happens, so I'm posting to see what you people have to say about it, so I dont break anything. I soaked everything I want to take off in penetrating oil anticipating thier removal tonight. Any tips are appreciated. I looked thru all of my manuals, books, and searched the site and didnt see much on the spare tire carrier removal, other than take it off, so how does it come off? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:50 AM
Harps
Le Mans Master

Received 137 Likes on 51 Posts

I think they are threaded into the frame, and shouldn't have a loose bolt in there.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:02 AM
ThomC
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The two long hangers are threaded into the frame crossmember. I found that removing the tub first allows you to push the cover up so you can more easily get a wrench on the hangers.

Thom
Old 09-14-2005, 10:15 AM
crw41
Melting Slicks

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

1. Take spare out
2. Let cover drop
3. Toward the front of the car there are 2 long bolts at the front sides of the tub - the bolt heads are flat on 2 sides and rounded on 2 sides. Use a large open end wrench to unscrew them. If frozen squirt some liquid wrench where they screw into the frame. These bolts retain the cover when it is opened.
4, You will then be left with the tub. There are 2 bolts that hold the aparatus that houses the lock. Use a long extension to reach these.
5. The remaining 2 bolts are in the middle inside of the tub.
6. Overall, not hard to do - easier if you put the car on jackstands first.
The following users liked this post:
tiredoldguy (02-28-2021)
Old 09-14-2005, 10:49 AM
Rob_64-365
Drifting

Thanks for the quick answers, the two long bolts are what I was questioning. I saw the flats, and assumed they were flat so they could be turned to remove, but wanted to make sure before I twisted them off or something. There really was nothing in any of my manuals that mentioned this. Everything just said "remove the spare tire carrier" as one of the steps in the process of some other project.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:28 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

The two long front hanger bolts thread into nuts welded inside the crossmember.
Old 11-19-2018, 04:22 PM
rjmonty
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Are there 2 or 3 long bolts holding the spare tire cover on? I figured out that the back driver side of the cover has one and the front center has the lock assembly but where does the third long bolt go? Maybe my thinking is screwed up. You can't get the cover off if you have another long bolt at the back pass side even though there is a threaded hole in the cross member the same as the back driver side. Please straighten me out.
Old 11-19-2018, 04:34 PM
Panama 58
Melting Slicks

Received 611 Likes on 333 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by rjmonty
Are there 2 or 3 long bolts holding the spare tire cover on? I figured out that the back driver side of the cover has one and the front center has the lock assembly but where does the third long bolt go? Maybe my thinking is screwed up. You can't get the cover off if you have another long bolt at the back pass side even though there is a threaded hole in the cross member the same as the back driver side. Please straighten me out.
Two screwed into the crossmember at the forward of the tub (10 and 2 position) and then you have your latch with lock at the aft (6:00) position. This will allow you to remove the lid and then there are some additional bolts that hold up the bucket against the frame.

Last edited by Panama 58; 11-19-2018 at 04:40 PM.
Old 11-19-2018, 04:43 PM
rjmonty
Pro

S then how do you get the tire out? Do the threaded long bolts toward the front of the car loosen enough to pull the tire out? I assume they do but this requires you to crawl under the car to loosen them. Does not seem like a good idea at night in the rain.
Old 11-19-2018, 05:08 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

If course not, you unscrew the big nut at the rear of the car then move the lid sideways off the nut to drop the rear edge of the lid down to access the tire...you can use the jack handle inside the tube of the tub's lid metal support to lever the lid down. The fact that the forward two bolts holding the lid are a bit loose, lets the lid come down to the ground so the tire can be removed.

Its all on the back of the jack board on the decal affixed there...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 11-19-2018 at 05:11 PM.
Old 11-19-2018, 05:16 PM
rjmonty
Pro

Ok, thanks Frankie.
Old 11-19-2018, 05:25 PM
Rob_64-365
Drifting

Wow, this is an old post, September 2005.
I remember just changing the fluids, & u joints because I couldn't get the bolts out.
Just last winter I made a socket to remove the bolts, and redid the entire rear suspension. Here are some pics.

Old 11-19-2018, 08:05 PM
Panama 58
Melting Slicks

Received 611 Likes on 333 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by rjmonty
S then how do you get the tire out? Do the threaded long bolts toward the front of the car loosen enough to pull the tire out? I assume they do but this requires you to crawl under the car to loosen them. Does not seem like a good idea at night in the rain.
Let's back up a minute. Are you just wanting to remove your spare tire from the carrier? The thread you subscribed to is discussing the removal of the entire spare tire tub of which the first thing you should do is to remove the spare tire. If that's all you want to do then just follow Franks direction. It's easy.

Get notified of new replies

To spare tire carrier removal-how to?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: spare tire carrier removal-how to?