C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Carlisle's Chassis & Frame Manufacturers C2 to C4

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 06:18 AM
Stingxray
Drifting

Received 147 Likes on 75 Posts

Default Carlisle's Chassis & Frame Manufacturers C2 to C4

Hey Guys :
I will soon be looking for a replacement frame for my 67 roadster. I have a C4 Front and Rear suspension doner set aside. I cound'nt make the trip but......... I read Carlisle had at least 4 manufacturers of frames there. Can any one list and or recommend the ones that looked intresting ? I like to compare them all before I shell out the $$$$$$$. Thanks
Old 09-21-2005, 09:48 AM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

SRIII was there: http://www.sriiimotorsports.com/pages/691638/index.htm
I think that Mike Stockdale builds the BEST C4 retrofit chassis out there.
I am building a 65 right now with one of his frames, and built a 59 last year with one of his frames. His quality can't be beat, and his prices are good. The only problem is, that his frames have become so popular, that he has some pretty big backlogs. Hopefully, he will be able to increase production to keep up with the demand.

The 59 was all C4 suspension with a LS1 and a 460LE trans, and the 65 will have C5 front suspension, a LS2, and a 4L65E trans with a Dana 44 C4 rear. Here are a couple of pics of the respective chassis.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-...3/P0000830.JPG

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-...3/P0001243.jpg

Regards, John McGraw
Old 09-21-2005, 11:20 AM
Stingxray
Drifting

Thanks for the reply John. Your project looks great. Any Problems with body fitting ( Mounts , Panels, captive bolts)? I was told the rear jack compartment will have to be removed on Midyears. Did you check out anyone else?
Thanks Stingxray
Old 09-21-2005, 05:41 PM
SLO 65
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C4 Suspension

Stingxray,
Depending on how many Santa Margaritas there are in CA, you might try Car Creations Inc., there shop is 15 minutes from you. What year is your suspension from?

Nick
Old 09-21-2005, 06:17 PM
vstol
Melting Slicks

Received 76 Likes on 74 Posts

Although I have taken a different route in building a Grand Sport, I thought the frame from Jaminsons Custom Corvettes was well done. I have visited his shop and their craftsmanship is first class. Price out SR III and his and go from there

jamisoncustomscorvette.com
Old 09-21-2005, 06:59 PM
1coolC2
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Get the SRIII Frame!

I picked up my frame from Mike when I went up to Carlisle. I spent allot of time looking at all the different varieties that are available. My personal opinion is the SRIII is the strongest and best engineered out of the bunch. Mike was one of the first to start building these frames and you can see his influence on some of the other competitors. Think twice about the guys just taking a stock frame and converting it, new grafted to old just did not look good to me. The best part about SRII is the customer service! Mike is hands down one of the best people I have dealt when it comes to getting exactly what I expected + more. He answers the phone himself and will discuss and answer any and all questions you may have. Talk to some other guys who have dealt with him and you will get the same story. It was the best decision I made in regards to my project.
The following users liked this post:
solidaxel (08-29-2019)
Old 09-21-2005, 07:00 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

My brother in law and I picked up his frame at Carlisle from SRIII. I looked at some of the others and this SRIII frame was first class. Not the cheapest but you get what you pay for. It is rigid as he$$ and is setup however you want. He is going with C5 front and C4 rear suspension and a LS6 motor and a 6 speed all with a C2 body. Should be a fun car.

He got here right as I did
Old 09-22-2005, 12:11 AM
Seaside63
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SLO 65
Stingxray,
Depending on how many Santa Margaritas there are in CA, you might try Car Creations Inc., there shop is 15 minutes from you. What year is your suspension from?

Nick
Funny you should mention that. There are actually two. One in Central Cal and one in South Orange County.

Down here they had to change their name to Rancho Santa Margarita before they were allowed to incorporate.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:46 AM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

Stinxray,
When I started looking for the chassis for my 59 project, I looked at more than a dozen frame makers. I looked at Car Creations, but they got as much for modifying my original frame as I could buy a new one for, and they were backed up at least 16 weeks at the time. I looked at Art Morrison, Corvette Corrections, Jamisons, The Roadster Shop, and a bunch more. My gut instinct was that you get a better product if you get all new as opposed to reworking an original frame, although, SRIII will do that as well if you wish. By the time I was ready to start on the 65, I did not even bother to look around, I just called Mike and placed the order. After building on one of his frames, I was not even interested in looking at anyone else's! Yes, you do have to lose the tool wells behind the seats, but that is just a clearance issue with the C4 rearend. Rich Lagasse also has one under way and has the body on and off several times, so he can give you better fittment comments on the body.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 09-22-2005, 02:29 AM
Stingxray
Drifting

Thanks for all the input guys. Yes..... I Know Paul Newman personally (Goes to our church) But the frame I have is unsuitable for his conversion(Rust). Looking to build the frame while I still drive the car and Finish the SWC's frame of project. Room for only one frame thrash off at a time. John's leaning me to the SRIII and have a catalog coming in the mail
Anymore lead's ???
Here's another shop doing square mandrel bent tube. Check it out.
StingXray

http://www.streetshopinc.com/frames_index.htm

:
Old 09-22-2005, 05:31 AM
aworks
Melting Slicks

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

We have already built two C1's on SRIII frames. A 57 and a 54. I to think it is the best out there. I ordered two more and got them about two months ago. One C1 that my 60 is going on and a C2 that a 63 coupe is going on. the C2 you have to remove the tool compartment. And we are also using Mikes inner rear wheel wells. The last C1 chassis I bought is # 97. So there must be alot of guys that like them. I would not think twice about buying from Mike at SRIII.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:55 PM
SLO 65
Instructor

Default Conversion

Stingxray,
I live in Shell Beach and have a Car Creations frame I'm thinking about selling. Price would be close to Paul's current conversion price. No shipping costs and no waiting. I have several parts including front and rear suspensions, Rock Valley gas tank, and LS1/T56. I would love to get together some time and talk (coffee or beer?), this really isn't a "car guy" type area so it would be nice to have some "car" friends.

Nick

Last edited by SLO 65; 09-23-2005 at 01:09 AM.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:35 PM
richscorvettes
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

As John and others have mentioned I also wouldn't hesitate to recommend the SRIII frame. Mike Stockdale has done a super job in the design and his workmanship is top notch. He delivers the chassis when he says it will be ready, his quality is outstanding and he has been great to work with after the sale. Unfortunately, that's all too rare these days. Paul Newman also has those same traits but, if you do not have a good stock frame, the SRIII choice would seem the best route in your situation.

Rich Lagasse
Old 10-05-2005, 08:08 PM
Yellow73SB
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '07

Can you buy a stock frame already fully welded and gusseted and triangulated? Vintage racing doesnt allow c4 or c5 suspension. Im aksing this because my welding isnt the greatest.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:29 PM
solidaxel
Melting Slicks

Received 153 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by aworks
We have already built two C1's on SRIII frames. A 57 and a 54. I to think it is the best out there. I ordered two more and got them about two months ago. One C1 that my 60 is going on and a C2 that a 63 coupe is going on. the C2 you have to remove the tool compartment. And we are also using Mikes inner rear wheel wells. The last C1 chassis I bought is # 97. So there must be alot of guys that like them. I would not think twice about buying from Mike at SRIII.
12 years later and Mike is still knocking them out
I have C 1 191 and what a work of art the SRlll is !

Get notified of new replies

To Carlisle's Chassis & Frame Manufacturers C2 to C4

Quick Reply: Carlisle's Chassis & Frame Manufacturers C2 to C4