C1 front fender top reinforcing strip? - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C1 front fender top reinforcing strip?

Old 11-03-2005, 10:47 AM
AZDoug
CF Senior Member

2017 C1 of Year Finalist
Default C1 front fender top reinforcing strip?

I have seen one or two cars, either late '61 or more likely '62 with a Z shaped fiberglas strip inside the top fenderwell, that attaches using the same studs that hold the top fender trim on.

You can see a sketch referencing this piece in the ST-12 manual on page 11-8, figure 15, view A.

I have asked numerous times over the years about this strip,and I think only one person I talked to ever saw or heard of it before.

Was this strictly a late addition to the last years of the car, or did they get thrown in the trash during repaints? If it is a late addition, about when did they appear in production?,

and,

are replacementstrips available now?

Thanks,
Doug
Old 11-03-2005, 04:10 PM
JohnZ
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by AZDoug
You can see a sketch referencing this piece in the ST-12 manual on page 11-8, figure 15, view A. Doug
I do recall a metal reinforcement in that area on some C1's being discussed, but few cars had it; some thought that it was there to provide attachment points for the over-the-tire cooling air ducts that went into the front of the rocker on some of the "big brake" cars. DZAuto and Duntov-097 may have better info on it than I do.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:26 PM
L78racer
CF Senior Member

to my knowledge they are there to provide some strength to the fender tops. many fenders have a hairline crack where the fender meets the hood opening from people leaning on them while servicing engines etc. not sure what year they began installing them.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:19 PM
John McGraw
CF Senior Member

Doug,
The only year car that they were used on was 1958 models, and they were used to hang the brake ducts from without making the tops of the fenders sag. That being said, they are a smart additon to any 58-62 car that is not going to be judged. Vette Products was the only one producing ones frabricated from metal like the original ones, and they quit producing them about 2 years ago. Schemershiems ( spelling), makes them out of black fiberglass and they look pretty nice and are real stiff. They will really stiffen the tops of the fenders and make them a lot less likely to crack. I used a pair of the new fiberglass ones on my 59 resto-rod, and was very pleased with them.

Regards, John McGraw

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: