C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

c1 engine removal and installation

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 01:21 AM
tach drive 61
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Default c1 engine removal and installation

Its been a while ! fuel pump I will remove before pulling my motor this weekend , as I remember on last motor swap I did install the engine without the pump attached , the lower part of the front mounts that attach to the frame should they be removed .
I will not be pulling the trans or bell housing with the engine , it worked last time out . main question is the lower front mount removal by the fuel pump any advice ! thank you
Old 07-15-2017, 02:19 AM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by tach drive 61
Its been a while ! fuel pump I will remove before pulling my motor this weekend , as I remember on last motor swap I did install the engine without the pump attached , the lower part of the front mounts that attach to the frame should they be removed .
I will not be pulling the trans or bell housing with the engine , it worked last time out . main question is the lower front mount removal by the fuel pump any advice ! thank you

You don't need to take the water pump off if that's which pump you mean. Do take the fuel pump off. It makes it easier to get around the frame mounts. And all I did was take the rubber off the frame brackets when I pulled mine from my 1962. I didn't remove the radiator support, either, when I pulled this 350 with the Powerglide still attached.

Last edited by Randy G.; 07-15-2017 at 02:41 AM.
The following users liked this post:
MISTERZ06 (07-16-2017)
Old 07-15-2017, 08:28 AM
plaidside
Safety Car

Received 1,122 Likes on 550 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

So, you made the decision to remove the engine.
I would pull the engine/trans as an assembly.
Do you have an engine crane? I have an engine tilter you can borrow.
Joe

tach drive 61 (07-15-2017)
Old 07-15-2017, 04:42 PM
tach drive 61
Drifting

Originally Posted by plaidside
So, you made the decision to remove the engine.
I would pull the engine/trans as an assembly.
Do you have an engine crane? I have an engine tilter you can borrow.
Joe

great photos , if I only had that setup garage ! ill settle for the 61 for now ! Like riding a bike < I did remove fuel pump on the way out as well as the lower mounts , will be nice and clean when the 327 is buttoned back up , deglaze and new flattops . I will change water pump as well as clutch, Joe its out and almost in the pickup truck .rest time !!!!
Old 07-15-2017, 05:53 PM
Pop Chevy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 779 Likes on 533 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

You shouldn't have to remove the lower mounts, I don't.
Old 07-16-2017, 10:12 PM
tach drive 61
Drifting

Not so bad , solo engine removal , next step get the 327 CE 512 block set up right ! I have some minor engine bay detailing this time around < new clutch , water pump , pistons . 492 set of heads . , one thing for sure the draft tube is history ! back to PCV . My four day Carlisle PA fun field spot will have this 61 Present for the festivities ! fingers crossed .
Attached Images     
Old 07-19-2017, 05:14 PM
tach drive 61
Drifting

Not so bad , solo engine removal , next step get the 327 CE 512 block set up right ! I have some minor engine bay detailing this time around < new clutch , water pump , pistons . 492 set of heads . , one thing for sure the draft tube is history ! back to PCV . My four day Carlisle PA fun field spot will have this 61 Present for the festivities ! fingers crossed .
All good advice taken , The 327 is now at the shop and out of my pickup bed , not the place I like to see the motor sitting , all touchup frame rails and engine compartment are primed . soon as the humid condition leaves I can spray semi black ,
Will get some photos up soon . this years Carlisle trip we will not attend , not into breaking the motor in again in hot summer traffic !!
Old 07-19-2017, 05:36 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Frame, control arms etc all look real clean, like the car never got driven much in any inclement weather in your part of the country.

Doug
tach drive 61 (07-20-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 04:48 AM
tach drive 61
Drifting

[QUOTE=AZDoug;1595179530]Frame, control arms etc all look real clean, like the car never got driven much in any inclement weather in your part of the country.

Doug[/QUO this one came from Virginia /Maryland. for sure no winter use. Plenty of grease came off this time around . and that's after that photo was taken . the few parts remaining will be cleaned and touched up today , the installation will be nice and clean !
Old 08-08-2017, 10:16 PM
tach drive 61
Drifting

Well in the morning ill get the old motor back in the corvette ,512 CE engine was still not even broke in after seven year's,
We just put a new set of flat tops & fresh 492 heads I thank two buddies forum members ,I have done so many engines over the years but some how its been 7 year's since my last one , seems I forgot many little things specs on foot pounds mostly , Close attention to clutch details with fork etc. .
I did not take pictures but will in the morning before I lift motor ! and never forget the shim for the balancer !!!
Old 08-09-2017, 07:33 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by AZDoug
Frame, control arms etc all look real clean, like the car never got driven much in any inclement weather in your part of the country.

Doug
I thought so too - makes me wonder if he's lubing all 24 zerk fittings often enough
Old 08-09-2017, 09:31 AM
ack fia
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts

Default C1 Engine removal

This bring back memories.
Once upon a time I needed to remove the engine from my 57, but I was working alone. I took the trans and bell housing off and then dropped the engine to the floor (on a jack). I then jacked up the car and slid the engine out from under the car.
Those were the days.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:50 AM
Steve59
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I remember putting my engine/trans in as a unit in 1977 in my 59. The scary thing was it had to go in almost vertical, wasn't to sure the leveler would take the weight at that angle.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:56 PM
tach drive 61
Drifting

At last the engine is back in place , I have a few more tasks to handle yet , I have done this install leaving the trans in place with the bell housing attached , , this time it slid in like a glove ! the trick remove mounts , then I was able to attach fuel pump with ease . I say 7 hours more and it should be done ! next visit to garage will be under car started inspection covers , and getting engine pipes hooked back up !
Attached Images    
Old 08-09-2017, 10:02 PM
tach drive 61
Drifting

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I thought so too - makes me wonder if he's lubing all 24 zerk fittings often enough
yes frank every one of them managed a few didn't know existed with motor out .guy who sold me car really did frontend up right its perfect.
Old 08-10-2017, 07:30 PM
tach drive 61
Drifting

Just re pulled engine again after 60 percent done , next time I hook up the clutch first , two hours out due too most parts still off . The Reason was clutch would not function/ disengage luk kit 04084 and a dancuk fork parts #dck 342 all summit parts , the fork had a tag 55/57 very small difference , it moved fine on the travel , I am thinking the clutch was boxed wrong , or the pressure plate is defective , it looks to be 3/4 inch thinner then the hays I took out ! all the summit order goes back tomorrow ! may just get another hays , and swap spring to my old fork !
twenty year's ago this happened with my 68 vette but that clutch worked , it was packaged wrong, from here things can only get better !
Old 08-11-2017, 05:52 PM
tach drive 61
Drifting

Just re pulled engine again after 60 percent done , next time I hook up the clutch first , two hours out due too most parts still off . The Reason was clutch would not function/ disengage luk kit 04084 and a dancuk fork parts #dck 342 all summit parts , the fork had a tag 55/57 very small difference , it moved fine on the travel , I am thinking the clutch was boxed wrong , or the pressure plate is defective , it looks to be 3/4 inch thinner then the hays I took out ! all the summit order goes back tomorrow ! may just get another hays , and swap spring to my old fork !
twenty year's ago this happened with my 68 vette but that clutch worked , it was packaged wrong, from here things can only get better !
well second time in the luk unit now disengages and the problem was the fork ordered from summit , they do not work at all on a 1961/62 corvette ! it damaged the throw out bearing , 80% done now ! looking forward to my 61 running again soon we pulled engine out and back in in 10 hours ,with just a few more tasks !
Old 11-28-2017, 06:51 PM
tach drive 61
Drifting

a bump for member who asked about doing a c1 and leaving bell housing and trans in car , I am still trying to wipe this from my mind ! pull you motor like plaidside did ! our 61 drives and enginee runs But a winter will be some undercar hell redoing clutch and possible tranny input shaft damage .

Get notified of new replies

To c1 engine removal and installation

Quick Reply: c1 engine removal and installation