C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Opinions on PPG Deltron Vs. Omni line?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 09:57 PM
gwilkerson
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on PPG Deltron Vs. Omni line?

Is Deltron worth the extra expense?

gary
Old 01-12-2006, 10:14 PM
Grey Ghost
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used Omni on a few cars. I don't know if your eye would be able to tell the difference between them. Deltron has a higher ~solids~ count is probably more durable and will result in better long term quality. The solids count is the reason it is more expensive.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:51 AM
Seaside63
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Grey Ghost

Deltron has a higher ~solids~ count is probably more durable and will result in better long term quality.

The solids count is the reason it is more expensive.
Won't the higher solids also give you better coverage?

And less "blotchiness"?

(that's what I always heard anyway)
Old 01-13-2006, 07:41 AM
aworks
Melting Slicks

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

It's not so much the quality of the paint. It is the consistency of the tints. When you buy top dollar paints you are paying for tints that will be the same every time you mix that color. Omni and lets say nason are good quality paint. But if you have to match it again you will not get the same color. You can take three cans of the same color tints for say Omni, open them all up and you will find they are not all the same. They are great for overall paint jobs. And save alot of money. We use Nason on cheaper full paint jobs. But just hope you never have to get a good match in the future.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:27 AM
vp69435
Le Mans Master

I have used every manufacturers product. Nothing compares to Spies Hecker and Sikkens. I have had the best results with Sikkens and with their redeveloped VOC cmpliant clear problems resolved have found it to the least trouble. We used Deltron for a while. While it is OK there were constant matching problems, terrible primer problems and the clear coat simply does not compare to the European lines. Also, I hope you have the ability to bake the finish as that is the key to any of these finishes.
Jim Jordan
County Corvette
Old 01-13-2006, 08:54 AM
gwilkerson
Advanced

Aworks,

That an interesting point you make. The Omni is good paint, I've heard that many times. But, unless you make enough initially to cover your needs in the future, matching may be a problem. Intersting!!

For the novice such as myself; What is the baking of the paint doing that makes a better jop other than removing the solvents more quickly?
What makes it better?

gary
Old 01-13-2006, 09:24 AM
ragtopman
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

....and speaking from experience(I work in a body shop), what I have been told is the Omni line has no warranty. Omni and Nason(DuPont)are for people that want to put a quickie on a vehicle. Thats what Maaco uses. I would use it on a car that a person doesnt really care about durability, but wouldnt even consider using it on a classic.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:27 AM
gwilkerson
Advanced

Ragtopman

I understand your point. Can you give me some insight on what the baking process is doing to make a better job vs. the paint drying for an extended time

Gary
Old 01-13-2006, 11:23 AM
vp69435
Le Mans Master

Baking the paint does remove the solvents not only faster but more completely. The older clearcoats were a bit more "non bake" friendly but baking has always been recommended by the manufacturers. To apply clearcoat without baking takes five times as long and never seems to fully remove the solvents. The result is solvent pop or shrinking that can occure days, months or evens years later. I gave up trying to paint urethane clear without the ability to bake and finally sprung for a heated spray booth. Too many problems without it.
Jim Jordan
Old 01-13-2006, 03:09 PM
ragtopman
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Originally Posted by gwilkerson
Ragtopman

I understand your point. Can you give me some insight on what the baking process is doing to make a better job vs. the paint drying for an extended time

Gary

The bake process is to help speed up the cure/extraction of the solvents(VOCs) that are used to make paint sprayable, and to make it just a bit more durable. If it air drys, it takes along time for it to become what is considered cured vs. lets say an hour forced dried. And even after force drying, it will still gas out for another 30 days, thats why you shouldnt use any waxes that contain silicones during that time. One thing to keep in mind, heat will also kill gloss to a point, thats another reason they have made bakeable clears now. And some clears made now are made to have heat put on them immediatly because along time ago, if you put to much heat on clear, you would get solvent pop and that is when the very, very top layer of clear has set up enough that it wont let the solvents that are down lower to escape, hence, all the different temps. of solvents that can be used. I hope I have answered some of your questions cause this is a subject that can go on for awhile.
Old 01-13-2006, 03:59 PM
vp69435
Le Mans Master

Well said.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:33 PM
gwilkerson
Advanced

You and VP made it very clear I appreciate it. What amount of heat are you talking about and can it be supplied by a infrared heater or spot heater or is the entire booth typically heated?

Gary
Old 01-13-2006, 10:23 PM
vp69435
Le Mans Master

IR heaters work for spot panels just fine. For overalls find abooth with heat capable of 140 minimum. I like to bake at temps from 145-160 for 45 minutes to an hour. Application temp at 70-80. I hope that helps.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:30 PM
scotty67
Advanced

Default I'll second Spies Hecker

Spies is some of the nicest and easiest paint to use. I'd be shooting it on my '67 except I couldn't get Marlboro Maroon in it, so I'm the next best thing, Glasurit IMHO.
Old 01-14-2006, 11:48 AM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Is Deltron worth the extra expense?

gary
Yes..............I used it on my red 32 coupe. Very expensive but I get people asking all the time which paint did I use.
Old 01-14-2006, 08:55 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

What I have learned about paint over the years is that everyone has his own idea what brand is best. That said, in reality for the average person, any first line brand will do just fine. I may have expierence with one kind and you may have experience with another. We may both argue that ours is the best, but if you use the best of a particular brand, you will not go wrong. Now, every paint line has its cheap line. Nason, Omni etc. are those, and they are NOT the same animal. I find that the durability is not good and the lack of coverage makes the bargin price a false economy. This stuff is just the old acrilic enamel type base with a urethane hardner.
Old 01-15-2006, 09:31 AM
gwilkerson
Advanced

Thanks everyone sounds like the Deltron is worth the added expense and a heated booth will produce the best results.
Now my next challenge is matching the Milano Maroon (pigment and flake)

Thanks,

Get notified of new replies

To Opinions on PPG Deltron Vs. Omni line?

Old 01-15-2006, 01:06 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

My painter (has done my last five cars) is comfortable with PPG products, and does mine with Deltron base and Concept 2001 clear, and shoots them in a high-dollar heated booth ("spoven" - combination spray booth and oven) on weekends at the dealership where he has his day job, then details them out at his home shop where he does the bodywork, prep, prime and seal work. He's a perfectionist at his trade and keeps me happy.
Old 01-15-2006, 03:31 PM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

Now my next challenge is matching the Milano Maroon (pigment and flake)
that will be fun
when my '65 was painted last year it took PPG 7 weeks to get the Milano Maroon mixed to the correct shade and mettalic levels. We must have looked at over a dozen samples mixed up before finally finding a correct mix.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:40 AM
Biggus Blockus
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I've used PPG Concept (single stage) with excellent results with no baking required. It has good depth like BC/CC, but with out the BC/CC hassles like solvent popping, nasty fumes, etc. IMHO, BC/CC is better for the pros with the expensive equipment - but for the hobbyist single stage is the way to go (if you can).

PPG Concept .

Quick Reply: Opinions on PPG Deltron Vs. Omni line?