C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Power steering- can parts from 74 be used for 63?

Old 08-08-2001, 10:11 AM
docbum
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering- can parts from 74 be used for 63?

I have a 74 with power steering. Can I move the parts to a 63 that was never equipped with power steering? I have a tight driveway.
Old 08-08-2001, 12:58 PM
BAmacker
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Re: Power steering- can parts from 74 be used for 63? (docbum)

I'm pretty sure it will all work, the books show all the part numbers the same from '63 to '82. The only difference might be the PS crank pulley which bolts on top of the existing crank pulley, and whether you have the big oil pan. Look for a depression in the front of the pan for PS clearance. If you have the 250 or 300 hp engines it should be no problem. If it has the 340 or 360hp motors (or a NOM) it should have the big pan which will be in the way and need to be changed (?). You'll have to change over the center link, the bracket on the frame rail, and the rest of the obvious parts. Switch the tie rods from the outer hole in the steering arm to the inner hole to speed up the steering ratio. Shorten the tie rods a bit by turning the sleeves to drive it to the alignment shop for an alignment. It's worth the trouble! I put PS on my '63 only days after I bought it with no regrets. I just put PS on my buddy's '68 and he loves it, too.

Good Luck!

Tell us about your '63. Coupe or roadster? Color? Motor/trans?..................
Old 08-08-2001, 07:20 PM
Joe Lucia
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Power steering- can parts from 74 be used for 63? (docbum)

Yes, as "BAMacker" described, the 74 system should be direct bolt-on for the 63 assuming that all of the 74 components are, indeed, 74 pieces.

If your 63 is a 340 0r 360 it will, likely, be equipped with the "6 quart" oil pan. This pan CANNOT be used with power steering. In that case you will need to change the pan if you want to install power steering. You can use the 74 oil pan if you have it; it's exactly the same as the "5 quart" oil pan used for 63. Otherwise, this pan is GM-discontinued and hard to locate. You can also use the 75+ pan which will allow installation of power steering on your car.. This pan, GM #465220, will fit perfectly and is still available. Unfortunately, it's use will also require changing your oil pump pickup screen, upper dipstick tube, and dipstick.

The power steering pump pulley on the 74 will likely be a stamped steel pulley of GM #3770509. This number is usually stamped on the pulley. If this is the one you have, you're in luck since this is the one you'll likely need for the 63. If you don't have this pulley, you'll probably need to obtain one and it's GM-discontinued. Fortunately, it is available in reproduction.

The only other p/s pump pulley which you could possibly need (and only if your 63 happens to be a 340 or 360 hp) would be the GM #3834720. This is a cast iron pulley and is still available from GM.

I'd highly recommend replacing all of the power steering hoses when you install the 74 unit on your 63. The GM hoses are VERY expensive, but aftermarket hose kits are available at a reasonable price and are of good quality. Also, if the p/s control valve on the 74 is leaking (which is likely), I'd recommend rebuilding it or replacing it with a rebuilt valve when you do the conversion. Why do the conversion and then have to go "right back in" to replace the valve?

The conversion will be the best thing that you ever did for your 63. Guaranteed!

Old 08-08-2001, 11:05 PM
docbum
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Power steering- can parts from 74 be used for 63? (Joe Lucia)

Thanks guys. I have a 63 but the engine was swapped with a 350. This is probably even easier. The steering on the 63 now is a real bitch.

Get notified of new replies

To Power steering- can parts from 74 be used for 63?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power steering- can parts from 74 be used for 63?