C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Best ways to learn about C2 Corvettes: books, boards, buyers guides.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2001, 10:43 AM
NOSLO6
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Best ways to learn about C2 Corvettes: books, boards, buyers guides.

Hi all,

I'm in the beginning stages of a search for a C2 Corvette and want to gather as much information as possible. I'm in no hurry and anticipate spending at least a couple of years getting up to speed and waiting to find the right car.

My question to you: what are the best sources for doing so?

Books I can probably find with little help, but I'd love to know if there are high traffic internet discussion groups or mailing lists that you recommend I subscribe to. I've found this to be a particularly good way to pick up a large amount of technical info for my current car (1987 Buick Grand National).

Any particular location to find frank discussions of the pros and cons of getting a numbers-matching vs. non-matching or modified car? My current plan is to find a good driver and restore over time as my budget and time allows-- a numbers-matching car is not currently a priority.

Thanks for any and all input,
Scott

(BTW, I recently purchased the recently published "Restoring a 427 Corvette" book and am enjoying working my way through it.)

[Modified by NOSLO6, 9:44 AM 8/8/2001]
Old 08-08-2001, 01:39 PM
egregious
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Best ways to learn about C2 Corvettes: books, boards, buyers guides. (NOSLO6)

Not to toot our own horn, but....this is, by far, the best site I've found. I have had my C2 for 5 or 6 years and consider myself one of the least-knowledgable people here. There are some REALLY talented folks around here. Do searches on specific topics like "numbers matching" or "NOM" and you'll find PLENTY of reading material.

Good luck with your search. Guaranteed to be worth the wait!!!
Old 08-08-2001, 03:19 PM
olredalert
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Best ways to learn about C2 Corvettes: books, boards, buyers guides. (NOSLO6)

NOSLO6,
Agree with the other poster,but wanted to tell you not to put too much credence in "restoring a 427 Corvette".I found it to be incorrect in so many ways that restoring a Corvette to that standard would certainly dis-please you once you get a little depth in the hobby.Your plan to learn as much as possible should give you the knowledge to not make the many mistakes that writer made while restoring that 67.As you go along you will make a decision as to whether you want a matching NOs.car or not,and your decision will be right for you,but beyond the numbers thing,the more knowledge the better.Also buy the best car you can afford,because restorations generally dont pay.I actually threw that book away(and Im a pack-rat).......Bill S
Old 08-08-2001, 03:45 PM
Swamp Thang
Melting Slicks

Get onto the NCRS tech forum and read all the back posts. You will learn what the common problems are, and how difficult/expensive the repairs are. Try to hook up with someone near you who has a C2.

Good luck in your search.
Old 08-08-2001, 04:16 PM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with others that there are good references, most mentioned above. One thing that has helped me more than anything is actually looking at cars in the flesh. Reading about certain things only goes so far until you see the subject and have someone talk you through an inspection, repair, or description in a given area. Get up with some local Vette enthusiasts and help them turn some wrenches so you can get a first hand understanding of the C2 specific areas that you'll need to understand. I sure wish I had done that prior to buying my '69.

Shannon
Old 08-08-2001, 10:13 PM
396 RAT
Melting Slicks

Tomorrow buy:
Corvette Restoration &Technical Guide*Vol.2
By Adams
Read it 10 or 12 times.
The rest will come to you.
#1 issue is knowing what you are looking at.
Just my 2 centavos. :cheers:
Old 08-08-2001, 11:24 PM
Bunker
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
St, Jude Donor '07-'08-'12, '14-'15

Default Re: Best ways to learn about C2 Corvettes: books, boards, buyers guides. (396 RAT)

Hi Scott,
I see you live in Madison...I'm in Sun Prairie and currently own a 67 Coupe. Send me an email at c3pete@chorus.net and maybe I can help. There are a few local sources I can provide, etc.
Pete
Old 08-09-2001, 09:40 PM
NOSLO6
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Best ways to learn about C2 Corvettes: books, boards, buyers guides. (396 RAT)

Thanks to all for the helpful replies. :cheers:

396 Ratt best summarized my goals: "#1 issue is knowing what I'm looking at" I got lucky in this respect when I bought my Grand National, and knowing what I do now after 5 years of turning wrenches on it, I'd like to develop a more reasonable knowledge base about the C2s before making a somewhat more expensive purchase.

Does anyone know of a source for the Adams book-- it appears to be out of print.

Does anyone race C2s at the Montery Historics? I'm going to be out that way this year...

Scott
Old 08-09-2001, 10:49 PM
396 RAT
Melting Slicks

Paragon shows it on pg 164 in there cat.
Its $90.00 at Paragon, forget what paid way back when.
But it has paid for itself 10 x over.
there # is 800-655-6667
You really need this book.
Its a lot of $ but worth every penny.
(might be able to save a buck if you shop around)
(But I have a feeling you are going to order it tonight w 3 day delivery)
(Its a disease)
Trust me on this one.
:seeya
Old 08-10-2001, 08:50 AM
Mag Red Man
Burning Brakes

NOSLO, the Adams book was out of print but should (is already?) available soon.

There's about 10,000 combined years of Midyear Vette experience between here and the NCRS db. Just fire questions at us as they come along.

I'd start going to Vette shows. You'll see all the different types of Midyears. From trailer queens, to tubbed, blown 1000+hp Pro Steeet jobs. See what appeals to you, and by osmosis, you'll become more and more knowledgable.
Old 08-10-2001, 09:38 AM
NOSLO6
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

>> "It's a Disease" :lol:

Yep, and I'm already infected-- the question is just whether I can handle two different strains at once . I can remember my friend telling me this when I bought my Buick and thinking he was nuts, but now that I'm running in the high 11s I just want more!

Red Man, thanks for the tips about the car shows-- I'm from outside of Philly originally and have always wanted to go to Carlisle. Perhaps I can do some multitasking and work a family visit in with show. Nice shot at the Vette Museum-- our annual Buick Nationals are held in Bowling Green at Beech Bend Raceway and I made the trip this year and toured the vette assemble and the museum-- great stuff!

If you're interested, I have one good picture of a buddy's Buick paying homage (or something ;) ) to the vette museum. Sorry for the link but didn't want to post the pic itself here for fear of getting pounded-- http://www.sit.wisc.edu/~sbscrivner/BGsmoke.jpg :smash:

Anyone know if the new print run of the above title is going to be a new edition or just a re-run of the 1990 edition?

thanks again,
Scott

[Modified by NOSLO6, 8:40 AM 8/10/2001]
Old 08-10-2001, 01:07 PM
Mag Red Man
Burning Brakes

NOSLO6, there's nothing I like better in the morning than a good smoke show.

I believe its a new edition.
Old 08-10-2001, 11:15 PM
67ratrag
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Best ways to learn about C2 Corvettes: books, boards, buyers guides. (Mag Red Man)

I agree about the book about restoring a 67 427. I think the guy wanted to come off as an authority, but fell way short. It's more about rebuilding his corvette, not about restoring a 67 427 correctly. My .02 for what it's worth.
Old 08-11-2001, 03:56 PM
RoadVettes
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I bought my copy of Adam's Vol. 2 at a local swap meet last year. I've also seen a few for sale on EBAY $50.00 and up. This book and CORVETTEFORUM will tell you almost everything you could ever hope to know about midyears. welcome aboard and enjoy the ride :D
Old 08-12-2001, 06:26 PM
std63
Heel & Toe

Default Re: Best ways to learn about C2 Corvettes: books, boards, buyers guides. (user9ryan)

I agree with everyone in terms of watching this board as well as the NCRS board. A couple of books that I have found to be helpful are: Fact Book of the 63-67 Stingray by M.F. Dobbins and An Investment in Excitement by Rick Miller. You can buy both of these on the NCRS website. Take your time in looking for the right car and hook up with an expert if possible (this will save you big $$). I looked for about a year before I found the right car for me (67 BB that had undergone a frame off restoration and was a Topflight and Bloomington Gold car) I wanted a completely restored car (although I drive it several times a week) but I did not have the time or money to restore it myself. I paid about one half of what went into the car (I have all of the receipts). Good Luck....
Old 08-12-2001, 09:56 PM
Blkblt
Drifting

"If you're interested, I have one good picture of a buddy's Buick paying homage (or something ) to the vette museum."

LOL!! Very :cool: :lol:

Jeff
ÒThe Silver BeastÓ. Ô66, L72

[Modified by Blkblt, 7:58 PM 8/12/2001]
Old 08-12-2001, 09:59 PM
Blkblt
Drifting

If you're interested, I have one good picture of a buddy's Buick paying homage (or something ) to the vette museum.

LOL!! Very :cool: :lol:

Jeff
ÒThe Silver BeastÓ. Ô66, L72

Get notified of new replies

To Best ways to learn about C2 Corvettes: books, boards, buyers guides.

Quick Reply: Best ways to learn about C2 Corvettes: books, boards, buyers guides.