C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

will a 65 vette body fit on a 74 frame?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2001, 12:41 AM
mooncricket
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default will a 65 vette body fit on a 74 frame?

I'm posting this for a freind. He has a 65' vette that he bought brand new and drove everyday up until a few years back... after about 10 motors, it's got over 1million miles on it... for real!!!

The frame is beat, the rivets are loosening up, stress cracks, and rust. The differential is just kind of hangin' there.... He can get a 74' frame from a wreck for a decent price, we are trying to figure out if it will work, even if some modifications are required.

We know that the 68's had the earlier type (63-67) frame with (I think) a slight difference in one of the rear crossmembers. 69' & up was the new frame. We also know that the trans mount doesn't come out for the 4 speed, but does for the automatic (the 74 is an auto). He is thinking that may be a plus.

Anybody know if it will work and what is required to make it work if not? I don't think he's looking for show car points, he just wants his million mile vette to be alive and safe again.
:smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash:
Old 08-10-2001, 09:57 AM
67's
Le Mans Master

Received 381 Likes on 267 Posts

Default Re: will a 65 vette body fit on a 74 frame? (mooncricket)

You should try to contact George Daina, a moderator on the C-3 forums, he has done this I believe.

Tom McCabe
Old 08-10-2001, 04:44 PM
Torchred62
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I helped change a 69' Corvette frame to a 64' frame and suspension. The only thing we had to do was change out the rear cross member behind the rear suspension mounting from the 64's frame to the 69's frame after we measured and cut the rear section from both frames. The 69's frame turned up at the end while the 64's didn't. After we did that all the other stuff (front suspension and rear suspension) bolted on. His car was an automatic so I can't say if the trans mount would be a problem for a four speed car. If I remember right the new trans mount bolted to the frame rather than weld in. Hope this helped.
Old 08-10-2001, 05:26 PM
Joe Lucia
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

A 74 frame can be used on a 65, but several modifications are going to be necessary. First, the 73+ frames use a different positioning of the body mounting brackets. So, the brackets will have to be modified, rewelded or otherwise adapted to the 65 configuration.

Also, the front and rear bumber mounting sections of the frames are completely different, so this will require modification/adaptation.

Whether the 74 frame is from an automatic (bolt in x-member) or manual (welded-in x-member) it will work ok for the 65.

I'd recommend calling Caledonia Classic Cars of Belding, MI. Corvette frames are their specialty. I'm sure that they can provide complete instructions and whatever parts are necessary for the conversion.

Get notified of new replies

To will a 65 vette body fit on a 74 frame?

Quick Reply: will a 65 vette body fit on a 74 frame?