C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Want to buy an auto rotisserie

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 01:53 PM
kenEDMUNDS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Want to buy an auto rotisserie

I am looking for a rotisserie for a 65 coupe I am doing.
Old 02-18-2006, 02:35 PM
mrichard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

Default Body Cart and rottiserie

You will need a body cart and rottisserie, assuming you want to do real rottisserie restoration. These guys http://accessiblesystems.com/ sell a nice body cart, which they call a sub-frame on their web site. It sells for about $875 but it is an easy build for anyone who can fabricate. The rottiserie is a lot more time consuming to make and is worth the price they sell it for. It looks like they cost about $550 to $1,200 depending on features. You only need a 1,500 LB. capacity for vette body that is stripped. I made my own with all kinds of features so that all of the large pieces slip together and break down into straight sections for easy storage in the garage attic. I had about fifty hours in it and a lot of machining and tig welding. Make sure you get one with a balancer feature (simple center of gravity) centering device, otherwise it will be bottom heavy and a pain to rotate. After you work on a car using one of these, you will never want to do a resto any other way.
Old 02-18-2006, 02:53 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by mrichard
You will need a body cart and rottisserie, assuming you want to do real rottisserie restoration. These guys http://accessiblesystems.com/ sell a nice body cart, which they call a sub-frame on their web site. It sells for about $875 but it is an easy build for anyone who can fabricate. The rottiserie is a lot more time consuming to make and is worth the price they sell it for. It looks like they cost about $550 to $1,200 depending on features. You only need a 1,500 LB. capacity for vette body that is stripped. I made my own with all kinds of features so that all of the large pieces slip together and break down into straight sections for easy storage in the garage attic. I had about fifty hours in it and a lot of machining and tig welding. Make sure you get one with a balancer feature (simple center of gravity) centering device, otherwise it will be bottom heavy and a pain to rotate. After you work on a car using one of these, you will never want to do a resto any other way.

I bought an Accessible Systems rotisserie last Summer. Quality piece, heavy materials, stable, has wheels on it. I'd buy this brand again even though it was priced a little higher than some. Think about the wheel option. I've moved mine several time with the body on it. Well worth the extra money.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:57 AM
kenEDMUNDS
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the advice, i will look at the web site.
Ken
Old 02-20-2006, 02:47 PM
C2IT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dumb question, 'cuz I'm not familiar with these. The pictures on that site show the cars being supported by the frame, If I've pulled the body off my Vette, how does it attach to the rotisserie?
Old 02-20-2006, 03:01 PM
northern
Instructor

I built a rotisserie that works very well. It is adjustable in a number of ways to handle a variety of vehicles, has wheels, and is very strong. As are most things I build, it is overbuilt and could probably handle a small tank.

One reason I built it myself is that shipping a factory built unit can add a lot to the cost. And it did not take long to build - maybe twenty hours total time.

If one has a chop saw, an arc welder (a mig welder will work, but is not nearly as fast at welding heavier metal), and basic metal fabrication skills, this is not difficult to do. One can look at a number of designs on the internet and pick and choose the features one wants. As far as I'm concerned, building a rotisserie is the easiest part of doing a total restoration.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:24 PM
kenEDMUNDS
Burning Brakes

It bolts to the stock body mounts.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:01 PM
59t-tom
Instructor

I don't know how this one compares with the one you are talking about but Eastwood just introduced a new rotisserie.

Read ibout it here----> X

Tom

Get notified of new replies

To Want to buy an auto rotisserie

Quick Reply: Want to buy an auto rotisserie