C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

drive shaft removal

Old 08-10-2001, 11:18 PM
jeff batchelor
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default drive shaft removal

I am going to pull the engine on my 66 BB next week. What is the proceedure for pulling the drive shaft. Do I need to remove the harmonic balancerand the radiator support?
thanks Jeff
Old 08-11-2001, 03:54 PM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Re: drive shaft removal (jeff batchelor)

Driveshaftremoval is easiest with car up an 4 jackstands. Remove the pivot bolt from the parking brake lever at the front of the driveshaft, and disconnect the front cable from the lever. Remove the nuts from the Ubolts on the front Ujoint. If you will not service the Ujoints, you do not need to remove the driveshaft by unbolting the rear joint. Simply wrap a rag around the driveshaft where it will rest on the crossmember. Wrap tape around the front joint to keep the caps from falling off. When you pull the trans, it is good to have a $1.50 plastic plug to insert in place of the yoke for the driveshaft,
You do not need to remove the balancer or even the radiator to remove the engine, but be VERY careful. As long as the fan and pulleys are off, there is enough room. The clutch housing needs to be removed (assuming a manual trans), but that makes removing the trans much easier too. Remove the clutch housing while the trans is pulled back between the crossmember and the body. For security, I clamp a piece of wood to the radiator yoke above the rad - so that any thing that slips doesn't whack the delicate rad. I also made a U shaped wood jig to support the engine at the rear with a sizzors jack, which keeps the oil pan dent-free. :D

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: drive shaft removal