C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

How are the parts vendor’s prices at Carlisle?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2001, 11:55 PM
Andy B
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How are the parts vendor’s prices at Carlisle?

I know for the most part what pieces I need to complete my restoration (mostly interior & trim parts) and I know what the average mail order prices are for these items. I am wondering if I should plan on picking up as much as possible at Carlisle or are the prices close to what you know you can get them for. This will be my first visit to the corvette show and I am just wondering if I should put a lot of effort into trying to pick up everything while I am there. I have been told you really have to work for a deal and if that is the case I would rather just look at the cars and enjoy the show!
Andy B http://vette.20m.com
Old 08-11-2001, 01:56 AM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Re: How are the parts vendor’s prices at Carlisle? (Andy B)

Some of the vendors have specials for the show only they say, usually 10-15 percent. Go prepared to buy if deal is right and enjoy the show, or buy there and have it sent to you, that way you can see what you are buying before you do so. I bought and took back to car, then went back to show for afternoon. Good luck.
Old 08-11-2001, 02:10 AM
67's
Le Mans Master

Received 381 Likes on 267 Posts

I try to buy ALL of my parts at Carlisle, Spring, Corvettes of Fall, that way I have them and can get out and put them on. I especially like to buy any used parts there, that way I know the condition.

Tom McCabe
Old 08-11-2001, 06:17 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

I sort of agree with both previous posts. I personally think it's a waste of time to go to Corvette Carlisle and buy items you can get by calling an 800 phone number. On the other hand, if you're not familiar with some vendors products, it does give you the opportunity to look the items over. Corvette Central brings NO parts...just a display and computer terminals. You can order and get free shipping. Mid America doesn't bring much...Chicago Corvette brings a trailer, as does Al Knoch, ACC Carpet, etc. In other words, don't expect every large vendor to have every one of their catalog items there. Personally, I prefer to spend my time digging around the small vendors...regular "guys", looking for "treasures"...original parts...rare items, etc. Hope this helps. Chuck
Old 08-12-2001, 11:35 AM
TheOman
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: How are the parts vendor’s prices at Carlisle? (Chuck Gongloff)

I have to agree with Chuck. The Vendors do offer show specials and if they offer a deal on something you were going to buy anyway you win. For the most part however the benefit for me is in looking at the things for sale from the average guy cleaning out his garage or digging up funding for his next project.

When I am buying something that is used I want to see it. E-Bay? No way! Particularly on expensive things. Does not totally assure that your getting quality but it is the next best thing. I recently bought a 67 435 HP intake. To be sure it was not cheap but I tell you what I looked over every inch of that thing before I plunked down the green. Just could not have mailed off that kind of money to someone somewhere out on "The Fruited Plain" without seeing the item first.

[Modified by TheOman, 9:36 AM 8/12/2001]
Old 08-12-2001, 06:11 PM
andy60
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Re: How are the parts vendor?s prices at Carlisle? (TheOman)

Dito on the above posts. You know, it is the old "bird in the hand"
feeling that keeps me looking for parts. I love seeing all of the junk.
Take your list and have a blast.
Andy
63 Convertable (listed in for sale section because I have the bug for a 57)
Old 08-12-2001, 10:32 PM
GreaseMonkey
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
PA Events Coordinator

Default Re: How are the parts vendor?s prices at Carlisle? (andy63)

One thing for sure is if you buy from one of the big vendors at Carlisle, you need to pay 6 % PA sales tax on the purchase :( and I do believe you'll need to pay shipping. Therefore it's be cheaper to order from home. FWIW
Old 08-12-2001, 10:48 PM
67wave_saver
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

....If you decide to use the catalog you still might want to visit Carlisle first...some of the catalog parts dealers will be there and won't charge you shipping....I would stay away from Corvette Central...I have back orders that are back ordered...

Save the wave :seeya

Get notified of new replies

To How are the parts vendor’s prices at Carlisle?

Quick Reply: How are the parts vendor’s prices at Carlisle?