C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Tires ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2001, 07:30 PM
billethkid
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Default Tires ??

This is my first post in this forum; I have spent a lot of time in the C5 section as we have a beautiful white one.

My "other Vette" is a 61 Tuxedo Black with red interior; both tops; 270 HP w/2X4. The car was body off restored in late 1980's...I bought it in 1989...it has never been wet since resoration!

My question is regarding the tires; they are over 25 years old, but do not seem to have any cracks (and I know you don't have to see em to have em)...anybody in the group with experience or knowledge, I would appreciate your comments. The car is a trailer Queen, but since I have retired, I am starting to drive it (some), but I worry about tires, belts etc. Plus 9 miles to the gallon is limiting in more ways than one.

Let me know what you think and Thanx in advance.

Billethkid
Old 08-12-2001, 09:23 PM
LabRat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Tires ?? (billethkid)

Coker Tire makes a radial tire with the correct width white sidewall for your car. Better handeling, braking and milage. It's the first thing I changed on my '59 when I started driving it. The change in handeling is dramatic. Enjoy the drive and "Save the Wave".
Old 08-12-2001, 10:29 PM
WB6HRO
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Tires ?? (billethkid)

I just replaced my 6.70 x 15 Firestones that have been on my 62 since 1978. They also looked fine. I put on some Bridgestone P205 75 x 15 radials. Wow what a new car! I had forgotten how the car handled before I put the bias plys on it in 78. You will love them.

Get notified of new replies

To Tires ??

Quick Reply: Tires ??