C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Project No Flight web update

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2001, 01:25 PM
GregP
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Project No Flight web update

If I've figured out the new forum software, the link below "should" take you to the latest update. It's been a pretty slow summer with not much progress, but hopefully it will gain some momentum this fall.

http://www.corvetteforum.net/classic...5corvette2.htm

-Greg

[Modified by GregP, 12:27 PM 8/13/2001]
Old 08-13-2001, 03:15 PM
bdrake
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Project No Flight web update (GregP)

Looks like it is sitting pretty good Greg. So what is with wanting to stretching the wheelbase? Here is one I saw at Super Chevy last weekend in Joliet, IL

Old 08-13-2001, 06:48 PM
Brian Matheis
Pro

Greg, Looks Awesome:D:D:D I ditto the above remark. Why the stretch??? Another question for you. Are you going to mount the body in basically the conventional fashion with body mounts?? Or are you going to use some other system?? I'm assuming you are going to make the body removeable to allow much easier access to the drivetrain, but not hinging it like a funny car. I'm not sure that would even be possible??

Looks like a lot of fun. Dad and I are thinking about doing something like this in the future with a derelict '50 something vette body we found "in the weeds"!!! Enjoy, Brian
Old 08-14-2001, 09:11 AM
GregP
Drifting

Default Re: Project No Flight web update (Brian Matheis)

Thanks for the favorable comments guys (and the photos).

I think that the front wheel wells are too long for the tires (215-60x15), so want to reshape them for a better fit. Rather than fill-in both the front and rear, I decided I'd try moving the wheels forward to match the front profile better, then get some patch panels and cut them in to move the rear edge of the wheel well forward. If you look close at the top of a C2 front well you'll see there is a short "flat" section on top, which I basically plan to remove.

The body mounts in fairly typical fashion. The firewall mounts and the mounts just ahead of the rear wheel wells are stock. I'm adding rear body mounts that attach the upper deck panel to the rear frame/cage tubes; and will fabricate forward mounts that tie the nose header bar (above and behind the normal headlight mounts) to the front frame rails.

A "removable" body would be interesting, but way more work than I plan (and my garage doesn't have enough head room to get the body off the car anyway ). It will be a little different though, as the trans will come out from inside the car, not under it, as with the new rear the driveshaft runs ABOVE the rear frame crossmember.

-Greg
Old 08-15-2001, 10:14 AM
INMYBLOOD
Le Mans Master

Location: The problem is all inside your head she said to me.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the update on the project. It is going to be so :cool: I guess you are adding more set back to the motor? Did you decide on a SB stroker? I too have been very slow on my project "bathroom" I am really close but it took much longer to do it than first invisioned. I promised myself I would work on the car as a reward :lol:
Old 08-15-2001, 06:10 PM
Brian Matheis
Pro

Default Re: Project No Flight web update (INMYBLOOD)

Greg, Seems like a heck of a lot of trouble to go through just for a few inches, but it's your time and money bro:D:D:D To me, it looks just fine as is, but if it bothers you, that's all that matters. I know you have already thought about this, but what about just getting taller front tires to fill out the wells a little more??? It will sit the front up a little, but then you could just lower it a little to get the "rake" back that you are after.

I trust you have put plenty of time and thought into this, and you obviously know a heck of a lot more about it than me. I was just thinking a little. Which, in my case, can sometimes be dangerous Brian
Old 08-16-2001, 09:10 AM
GregP
Drifting

Default Re: Project No Flight web update (Brian Matheis)

INMYBLOOD - I'm leaning toward a big-small block, probably 415. However, I also ran across a guy with a 433 BB (bored 427) at 750HP that could be an interesting "correct" :D engine for a mid year.

Brian - Actually it's not much work to stretch the frame when the car is as far apart as mine is (re-doing all the front suspension to get a low enough ride height will be much more involved). It had tall tires on it when I got it, and I like the current ones better, so I think the wheel well recontouring will be the best approach. Besides, it will be fun to see if anyone can tell "what's different" :jester with it when I park it along a stock mid-year (like at the Mason Dixon NCRS picnic "some" year :cheers: ).

-Greg

[Modified by GregP, 8:13 AM 8/16/2001]

Get notified of new replies

To Project No Flight web update

Quick Reply: Project No Flight web update