C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Wow, a 'new' 67 435?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2001, 11:01 AM
MasterDave

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Default Wow, a 'new' 67 435?

While at the Vettes only 'Show & Shine Sunday, I waltzed over to a very clean 67 coupe. It had a 427 435 hp tri-power engine,what looked like aluminum heads (at least they were aluminum looking (not painted) and the block was Chev orange, not aftermarket at all I think, 4 speed, side pipes, etc. It was brownish maroon with black interior. Anyway, I'm looking it over for the usual signs of rebuildness or whatever, you know, some sign of a personal touch. I don't see any. I look the body over, interior, under.....everything looks perfect to me. Then I check the mileage....16100 something. Huh?! I don't know all that much about the BB's as far as originality goes, but this one had what looked like outside braided wires around the plug wires that were individually grounded to the valve cover bolts. I did find the owner, an olderish fella and here's the story he gave me. He knew of the car and the kid who bought it new. He was k.i.a. in Nam a short while later. His folks couldn't part with the last pieces of their boy (very understandable), and relegated it to the barn where it just sat until they needed to move due to age. This guy knew of this and finally purchased it (do not know for how much). It had about 13000 miles on it when he got it. It was cleaned, freshened up and now has a couple thou more on it. A pretty new 67? Looked like it to me. Very cool to see such a straight car. Didn't delv further into it, he needed to leave. Just curious as to what you guys think this would be worth today? Man, I would love to fine one of these!
Old 08-14-2001, 02:42 PM
Stingrr
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Wow, a 'new' 67 435? (MasterDave)

Dave, the braided wire shrouds are correct for a mid-year BB with a radio. If this car was indeed the real thing, then it'd be a very rare bird and worth mucho moola. How much? I'd venture to guess in the range of 70 - 100K, depending on options and the mood of the potential buyer.
Old 08-14-2001, 11:47 PM
RichF
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03, '04 & '05

Default Re: Wow, a 'new' 67 435? (Stingrr)

I agree... at the auction at Carlisle last year, there was a similar car (not the same color, though) "formerly owned by a country singer" ( I forget who) with documentation. Nice car .. Reserve was $110,000.00 - car was not sold, but I believe the bidding was up to $95,000.00 Big bucks!!!
Old 08-15-2001, 01:16 AM
RGGregory
Drifting

Wow, sounds like a great car. One question, though. If they were aluminum heads and they were original, wouldn't that make this car one of the 16 or so L-89 cars produced in 1967??? If so, would not this be a 250$k plus car? I'd love to know if the heads are original, or something someone added on...hate to be pessimistic, but that tale about KIA sounds like many I've heard before some true - most not. No disrepect intended - I only say this because that was the exact same scenario under which my Dad bought a mint 65 GTO convertible (3x2) in 1977 -and I saw the guy's bronze star and papers that his parents had. His mother went through the clippings with my Dad to show him who her son had been (they would have been about the same age). I was only about 9 years old, but I remember this distinctly, especially the smell of all those old papers. Seems that I've heard variations on that sort of story around alot. I hope it is true, as that's put some real meaning behind the car. It just cooks my blood when I see the sham stories. Would love to know the AL head story if you see the guy again, Masterdave.

v/r
Bob

67 327/350 Silver Pearl/Black Convertible :seeya
Old 08-15-2001, 01:19 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I dont know about the car, but the story is one of the most common ones. It wouldnt be worth anything. : :jester
Old 08-17-2001, 07:49 PM
d1_bradley
Instructor

A '67 roadster with 435 was sold at B-J auction by the ORIGINAL owner for $82,080. Had 33k miles on it and was put up with NO reserve. This story was also in Cars&Parts Corvette mag.

Get notified of new replies

To Wow, a 'new' 67 435?

Quick Reply: Wow, a 'new' 67 435?