C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

swapping a powerglide with a 350

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2001, 01:53 PM
Detroit Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default swapping a powerglide with a 350

I have a 1964 convertible, and i want to swap the powerglide with a 350 turbo. The turbo 350 dosent have any holes for mounting the shifter. Any idea's of how to make this work?
Old 08-14-2001, 04:39 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: swapping a powerglide with a 350 (sdixon)

Hmmmmm.......SDixon from Michigan.........Hmmmmm, this POSSIBLY COULD NOT be the infamous Scott Dixon from NCRS Forum......nahhhh. That possibility is WAY too remote.
Old 08-15-2001, 12:22 AM
67's
Le Mans Master

Received 381 Likes on 267 Posts

Default Re: swapping a powerglide with a 350 (GDaina)

Hmmmmm.......SDixon from Michigan.........Hmmmmm, this POSSIBLY COULD NOT be the infamous Scott Dixon from NCRS Forum......nahhhh. That possibility is WAY too remote.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 08-15-2001, 06:56 PM
Brian Matheis
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scott, Not sure what the joke about the NCRS Forum is all about, but it must be good!!! The only Scott Dixon I know drives a CART race car!!!

Anyway, I went down the same road you are about to travel. I had a 4sp car and wanted and auto. After much time, thought, research, and consideration, I ended up going with a PG. Mainly for the ease of the install, and the OE "appearance" of it. You already have an auto PG, so that's not an issue with you. It's basically going to be a pretty involved swap to go from a PG to a 350 or a 700R4 etc... The basics of mounting a 350 aren't hard if it's the same dimensions as a PG. If not, it will just take some crossmember "massaging" and possibly some driveshaft work.

Shifting it, however, could develop into more fun. I don't see any possible way to use your shifter with the 350. The only way I even see it working is to make a metal bracket for it, and mount it to the body itself, but holding it in roughly the same position. My other suggestion would be to contact Lokar or some other custom shifter company, and get one to bolt onto the tranny itself. You may "possibly" get one to come up through the floor in the right position. Another possibility would be to maybe get a shifter from a '65 thru '67 and use it??? Not sure if that would work either. If you're not a stickler for correctness, the shifter will be easy. You could just get an aftermarket stick from B & M etc.. Good luck and let us know how it comes along. Thanks, Brian
Old 08-16-2001, 08:48 PM
d1_bradley
Instructor

I think Lokar makes one that bolts to the tailshaft housing and is very adjustable front-to-rear and is available with different shift handles. I have a Lokar in my streetrod. Nice quality piece.
Old 08-16-2001, 11:28 PM
90corvette
Instructor

When i bought my 67 convert it had the 350 in it . and he gave me the pg.ina box the 350 started to leak i decided to rebuild the 350 and leave it in . the original shifter is in the car you cant tell its not the PG well i made the right choice for me it shifts and runs great i dont know if any mods had to be made to make it work

Get notified of new replies

To swapping a powerglide with a 350

Quick Reply: swapping a powerglide with a 350