C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C-1 inner control arm shaft.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2001, 06:33 AM
59er
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default C-1 inner control arm shaft.

I tried to fit my new upper inner control arm shafts today but found that firstly, the shaft didn't want to start the thread so I had to tap it as I turned it. This got it started but on one of the shafts I have only got the shaft through 1" and it was really hard to get it there and I used a 2' pipe over the breaker bar. I'm afraid that If I use a larger bar that I will strip out the insert.
On the second shaft I only got the shaft through about 7/8" when it became loose and now I found that about half of the thread in the insert has stripped out.

I was told by Tom P. that the new shafts should be a few thou bigger than stock but these seem to be way too big as they are so hard to get in.

Of course I can't remove the one that is 1" through without destroying the outer thread of the new shaft so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I should mention that the crossmember is still out of the car.

My next course of action would be to apply heat to the insert as I try to screw the shafts in but I am concerned that this may compromise the integrity of the components not to mention the new paint.

Any assistance will be appreciated.
Mark. :(
Old 08-18-2001, 01:19 PM
Torchred62
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: C-1 inner control arm shaft. (59er)

59er if I remember right when I did mine I went right by the book and didn't have any trouble. The Service Guide ST-12 explains how to do it using special tools. I made my own by using the old front bushing and drilling a hole through it and placing a bolt through that hole to use to turn the bushing until the new shaft was in the correct amount. I believe the shaft is tapered just a little to make a tight fit once it is seated in place. The Manual tells you to make sure the tapered threads with the identification goes in only one way. Because it tells you the shaft will be loose if it goes to far and needs to be backed off. If you have the manual, pages 3-11 and 3-12 covers this procedure. Hope I helped you. Any questions get back with me.
Old 08-18-2001, 06:13 PM
59er
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: C-1 inner control arm shaft. (Torchred62)

Torchred62,

I have followed the manual as you mentioned, putting the marked end toward the rear and using a tool made from the lower outer bushing as described by an earlier post by DZAuto. The tapered end is in the right end as Idon't believe it is possible to fit it incorrectly. I will recheck this and if I am wrong and have fitted it incorrectly the I would imagine that I will have to replace the inserts in the X-member.

Getting the shaft in so far has required what I beileve to be excessive force so I think that I have done something wrong or the shafts are just too large(diam).

I'll have another go at it soon, thats If I don't burn it! :lol:

Thanks for your input.
Mark. still :confused:

[Modified by 59er, 4:15 PM 8/18/2001]
Old 08-19-2001, 10:29 PM
vetteman6070
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: C-1 inner control arm shaft. (59er)

I had the same problem with my 60 when I replaced my front cross member. After a day of screwing around I finally put a three foot pipe wrench on them and drove them home. Seemed to work fine. I'm sure this is not the recomended procedure since you can damage the threads on the control arms. Good luck.

Jon
1960 Honduras Maroon Roadster
1970 Monza Red Coupe

Get notified of new replies

To C-1 inner control arm shaft.

Quick Reply: C-1 inner control arm shaft.