C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

The Green Horn Wire

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 08:52 PM
Ed Carpenter
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default The Green Horn Wire

1st time poster here. I have a simple question for you C2 wiring experts. Somehow the green horn wire that runs from the column down through the instrument cluster has been pulled from its connection. I have a wire hanging with a brass terminal that looks to be pulled from a connecter. Which connector does it run to? I will be close to finishing the electrical circiuts once I figure this out. This is a 63 roadster

I'm looking forward to your expertise here.

Thanks!

Ed C. I Lower Alabama
Old 04-19-2006, 09:32 PM
61 Silver
Racer

I believe that the wire you are referring to connects to the upper steering column bearing. There is a small rectangular slot that the connector fits in to and provides continuity when the horn button is pressed.

Ray
Old 04-20-2006, 06:31 AM
Ed Carpenter
Intermediate

Default The Green Horn Wire

Thanks Ray. Any idea where it connects under the dash?

Ed C. Lower Alabama
Old 04-20-2006, 07:48 AM
61 Silver
Racer

Originally Posted by Ed Carpenter
Thanks Ray. Any idea where it connects under the dash?

Ed C. Lower Alabama
Hi! Ed

The wire will travel down a groove on the lower side of the steering column. There should be another single wire from the harness that the horn button wire will connect into. My wiring digram/AIM is in the barn. I will be working on the 63 later today and if no one else provides the color and location for the connecting wire I will post it this evening.

Ray
Old 04-20-2006, 08:47 AM
61 Silver
Racer

Hope this helps

Ray
Old 04-20-2006, 11:26 AM
Ed Carpenter
Intermediate

Ray,
There is one wire coming from my contact. It's a green wire. The other beside it is the actuator cable for the TS switch. I guess the wire could have been changed at some time. I just can't figure out where the wire connects, under the dash.

Thanks,

Ed C. Lower Alabama
Old 04-20-2006, 12:35 PM
Auto5
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

On my 63 the green wire from the horn button plugs into a tan wire w/single connector under the dash with a clip that attaches to the emergency brake cable housing. The horn wire leading to the horn relay is the second down from the top LH side on the inboard underhood connector on the firewall. Connect an ohm meter lead there and have at 'er with the with the other lead to find continuity.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:05 PM
Ed Carpenter
Intermediate

I found the connector. Actually there were 2 black wires running into a single male connector. I had to salvage a connector from an old chevelle harness and splice it to the green wire. Everything works great. It's amazing what tinkering happens over the years.

You all really helped me out. Thanks!

Ed C. Lower Alabama
Old 07-06-2015, 04:19 AM
Iron40
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ed Carpenter
I found the connector. Actually there were 2 black wires running into a single male connector. I had to salvage a connector from an old chevelle harness and splice it to the green wire. Everything works great. It's amazing what tinkering happens over the years.

You all really helped me out. Thanks!

Ed C. Lower Alabama
Hi Ed having same trouble with wire from horn button wire I have the tan wire that I think it should go to but it has a blck wire already pluged in to it oing up toward cluster should green go to this connection ? If so how?
Thank I know this is really old thread!

Get notified of new replies

To The Green Horn Wire

Quick Reply: The Green Horn Wire