C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Purging Cooling System on '60

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2001, 08:41 AM
Jaxhome
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purging Cooling System on '60

Starting up a freshly rebuilt '65 327 in my 60 Vette. Engine continues to blow water pump lower hose after it heats up. This water pump outlet is totally smooth with no lip at the end. Tried double clamping the hose. Tried running without the cap and after a few minutes it starts overflowing. Did a test to see if combustion gasses were coming out of the radiator (thinking head gasket) but not the problem. This engine ran fine before the rebuild. Also has a new radiator.
Old 08-21-2001, 12:29 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Default Re: Purging Cooling System on '60 (Jaxhome)

Sounds like there's a blockage somewhere - the lower hose on the water pump is the INLET, and is not under pressure with the cap off - even with the cap on, at highway speed, it creates enough suction to collapse a weak lower hose. Did you change the water pump? If it's a late-model pump, it may be a reverse-rotation model (made for serpentine belt usage), which would explain why you have pressure instead of suction at the inlet; can't come up with any other explanation for why you're seeing pressure at that point.
Old 08-21-2001, 02:39 PM
andy60
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Agree with John, sounds like blockage. Could you have a shop towel in the radiator?

Hello,

Could you have left a shop towel in the radiator?

Andy
Old 08-21-2001, 04:09 PM
simard
Instructor

Default One more thing to check

Make sure that the portion of the water pump that the lower radiator hose covers is FREE of paint. My experience is that antifreeze dissolves the engine paint and makes an excellent hose lubricant. I lost a few gallons of antifreeze that way before I learned. The next time my waterpump is off, I'm going to rebuild the 'ridge' around the lower hose connection with solder.
Old 08-21-2001, 10:36 PM
pittsaj
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Purging Cooling System on '60 (Jaxhome)

Seems strange to be blowing off the bottom hose, That is the suction side of the pump..
Almost sounds like the pump rotating backwards and forcing the therostat shut..
Just a thought...

Tony

Get notified of new replies

To Purging Cooling System on '60

Quick Reply: Purging Cooling System on '60