C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Starter Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2001, 12:30 PM
klen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Starter Wiring

On my starter (65/365) I have two wires with big lugs on the large selonoid post and one smaller lug to the " S " post . Does this sound right? or should there be a wire to the "R" post ?
Thanks KLEN
Old 08-21-2001, 12:47 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Default Re: Starter Wiring (klen)

If you don't have Transistor Ignition, your starter should be wired as follows: On the main (large) stud, you should have the (+) battery cable, a 12-ga. red wire that goes to the horn relay, and an 18-ga. black wire that goes to the bulkhead connector and supplies battery power inside the car. The "S" terminal should have a 14-ga. purple wire that goes to the "Start" terminal on the ignition switch, and the "R" terminal should have an 18-ga. black/purple wire that goes to the (+) terminal on the coil (provides full 12 volts to the coil only when cranking).
Old 08-21-2001, 02:54 PM
StrayDog
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Re: Starter Wiring (JohnZ)

just my 2 cents...the wire collers can be quite faded ........the black will be black but the purple can be pinkish as well as the red ....just remember only one wire on the S & one wire on the R ...ALSO CAUTION as ther is a large black wire fom the harness that has a 7/16 fixture that is a ground....just my 2 cents....
Old 08-21-2001, 05:59 PM
piper
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don`t forget that ground wire to one of the starter bolts
Old 08-21-2001, 11:45 PM
klen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Guys ;
Your advice was to the "T" . I installed a new engine harness tonight and realized what a job BUBBA had done on the starter,I'm suprised it even worked ! The harness job was a breeze - about 1 1/2 hours --no beers ,no drugs and very little cursing .
There has always been an extra wire and plug from a harness coming out of the firewall through the same grommet as the oil pressure line . It terminates under the wiper motor. I looked under the dash and saw that the harness splits , the wire I'm wondering about seems to head up toward the radio area . The Windshield washer never has worked could it be for that?? Thanks Again!!!!!!!!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Starter Wiring

Quick Reply: Starter Wiring