C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Registering to CA vintage plates, or reproducing old plates. Questions.

Old 05-22-2006, 01:34 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Registering to CA vintage plates, or reproducing old plates. Questions.

(I'm not talking historical plates either.)

Apparently in California, you can register your car to the original style plates from your vintage, if you have some plates that are no longer registered in the DMV computer.

I believe this rule applies to cars 62(?) and older. Have any of you had luck registering with the old plates? I'm looking at buying an older truck, and want to give it a shot.

It's actually newer than 62, but I believe the law allows you to still register to the original plates, if they came off that exact vehicle. Assuming I could even locate the tag #, I'd probably have to get some fake plates made to match it. My goal is to just get some damn yellow on black plates on my truck.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:35 AM
JohnFromVentura
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

In Calif:
You can register 56-62 yellow/black plates on any 56-62 car only. the plate number can't be in use on any other year car. I have done this. It also requires the foil year tag from the exact year car.
You may be able to register any black/yellow plate on 63-68? with the same rule but I'm not sure of this?
If the car is newer than 62 you will have to use whatever year plate series originally came with the car.
I believe that prior to 56 each year had a separate plate?
You will get different stories from different DMV people. Some folks believe it's easier to take it to the Auto Club and they will handle it!

Last edited by JohnFromVentura; 05-22-2006 at 02:38 AM.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:36 AM
Lee H
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went round after round with the DMV and AAA this year in an attempt to register a clean (previously not registered) black/yellow plates on my 65. I visited the DMV and AAA 3 or 4 times each specking with several different people. 62 and back OK, 63 and forward no way no how no loop holes. I just gave up. If any body has had success with this please let me know.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:28 PM
macdarren
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Same here really wanted the Black and Yellow for my 65..

Same here really wanted the Black and Yellow for my 65....personalized B&Y would be even cooler.

Got different stories from different people but the bottom line is I was never able to actually get them. I suspect if I had had an original 65 plate and it was registered to that car I might have been able to do it but alas my car was originally an out of state vehicle and so there never was a B&Y plate on it.

As it has been mentioned according to the rules it would seem only 62 an older will it be allowed...bummer. I am hoping they might bring it forward a bit as time goes on....say 40 years and older or some such.

Anyway if anyone has done it please post and let us know how.

Darren
Old 05-22-2006, 03:40 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

I'm curious how to even find out what the original plates were.

Would this be in the DMV computer? Could I find this out from them? (Then make the plates somewhere)

If it's not in their computer, than it seems like it'd be easy to forge an old registration slip with whatever plate number on it.

Of course, if the car was never purchased in CA originally, then what?

I hate the new plates. I have all the previous plates from my 85 vette, but the first one is an ugly yellow on blue.

Found this:
http://www.356registry.org/tech/vint..._rules_ca.html

Last edited by CentralCoaster; 05-22-2006 at 03:48 PM.
Old 05-22-2006, 04:34 PM
R6T7
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Try ordering a vanity plate with a set of numbers on it that you like. When you get the plate, do not attach the registration stickers. Have a yellow on black plate made (or paint the vanity plate) and attach the registration stickers to the new plate. Unlikely that anyone would know (or care) that your license plate was not the correct color, as long as you keep your registration current.
Old 05-22-2006, 04:51 PM
Johns_65Vette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bobbeh
Try ordering a vanity plate with a set of numbers on it that you like. When you get the plate, do not attach the registration stickers. Have a yellow on black plate made (or paint the vanity plate) and attach the registration stickers to the new plate. Unlikely that anyone would know (or care) that your license plate was not the correct color, as long as you keep your registration current.
HMMM...now that's smoething to think about

<<<<<My new vanity plate I'm waiting for.
Old 05-22-2006, 04:57 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Default You need to have documentation...............

Dealing with the California DMV is a pain in the @$$! Fortunately I still have the original plates on my '67 'vert, as I am the second owner since '71. Even though it was unliscenced and out of their computer system for 5+ years from '93 to '99 (they didn't have the "PNO" planned no operation option back then) I did have all the old paperwork and could show them the old expired registration with the original plate #. Otherwise, I would have been forced to take new plates when I reregistered it.

Had the opposite result on a different car - bought a '67 Mustang GT in New Mexico 3 years ago. It's an original California car taken there in '69 by the original owner. I bought it from the 2nd owner; it came with the original California plates complete with the last renewal sticker from'69. Tried to reregister it with those plates and the DMV rejected it because there was no documentation they came with the car originally - thier records don't go back that far and I had no old California records for it except the original bill of sale and window sticker, and they don't show the plate #! Even tried a written appeal to DMV headquarters in Sacramento on the "Statement of Facts" form describing the circumstances, but was denied even though thier records do show that plate is not assigned to any other vehicle! Not sure what their concern is, other than just being bureaucratic!

AAA was no help at all - said they don't deal wth those types of issues, only renewals of current registrations.

Heard a rumor that Jay Leno was lobbying his bud the Governator to change that problem since it is only an administrative rule, not a legislative act - but no results yet.

Oh well, I just keep the original plates in the trunk and change 'em when I'm at a show. Sometimes I forget to change 'em back when I drive home..................

Good luck!

Old 05-22-2006, 07:41 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

I like the idea of just repainting them. I'm sure it's illegal, but it's worth a shot. Worst that could happen is you have to get some thinner out and remove the paint. Or get new plates for $18 from the DMV.

Here's what the law says about it:

5201. License plates shall at all times be securely fastened to the vehicle for which they are issued so as to prevent the plates from swinging, shall be mounted in a position so as to be clearly visible, and shall be maintained in a condition so as to be clearly legible. The rear license plate shall be mounted not less than 12 inches nor more than 60 inches from the ground, and the front license plate shall be mounted not more than 60 inches from the ground, except as follows:

(f) No covering may be used on license plates except as follows:

(1) The installation of a cover over a lawfully parked vehicle to protect it from the weather and the elements does not constitute a violation of this subdivision. Any peace officer or other regularly salaried employee of a public agency designated to enforce laws, including local ordinances, relating to the parking of vehicles may temporarily remove so much of the cover as is necessary to inspect any license plate, tab, or indicia of registration on a vehicle.

(2) The installation of a license plate security cover is not a violation of this subdivision if the device does not obstruct or impair the recognition of the license plate information, including, but not limited to, the issuing state, license plate number, and registration tabs, and the cover is limited to the area directly over the top of the registration tabs. No portion of a license plate security cover shall rest over the license plate number.

(g) No casing, shield, frame, border, or other device that obstructs or impairs the reading or recognition of a license plate by a remote emission sensing device, as specified in Sections 44081 and 44081.6 of the Health and Safety Code, shall be installed on, or affixed to, a vehicle.

How do you like that new addition at the end for "remote emission sensing"
Old 05-23-2006, 02:03 AM
willowdog
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

I like the painting idea. It would be hard to imagine getting a ticket for this considering the types of car the plate would be on. The only objection I could really think of is that the plates would not be reflective like the current plates.
Old 05-23-2006, 03:00 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

I notice the rule applies to cars older than 62. In 63, the black plates started. Coincidence? I guess there's no such thing as reflective black.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:40 AM
Johns_65Vette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by willowdog
The only objection I could really think of is that the plates would not be reflective like the current plates.
Clear coat with silver pearl ot mettalic
Old 05-23-2006, 02:38 PM
63 340HP
Team Owner

Received 2,330 Likes on 888 Posts

From what I understand the yellow letter on black plates are still in circulation (the plate series introduced in 1963 and phased out to the yellow on blue in ~1970). Since these plates are still in circulation, and there is no easily sorted record of what letter and number series is on a particular color plate, the CA-DMV has no desire to confuse the CHP or local LEO's with reissuing of these plates.

Up to 1962, new CA metal plates were issued every year; they were black letters with a yellow background. Each year the plate issued included the issue year stamped into the upper right relief (where we now put a sticker, they did not use month or year stickers in 1962, just a new metal plate every year).

1963 plates also have the date stamped in the upper right corner relief but year stickers were introduced allowing the state to eliminate issuing a new metal plate each year (a cost savings) and year date stamping could be dropped from the process.

The DMV can read a 1962 and earlier plate and tell you the year issued. They can match the plate number with the date stamped into the plate. This helps to assure the plate issued is the right number for the year of vehicle, just peal the stickers off the relief and read the year stamp in the metal plate (and to my knowledge there are no “reproduction restoration” plates sold on e-bay, not yet). The same records or easy identification of the plate numbers for each year of issue do not exist for 1963 and newer plates (so they say). The DMV position is that it is too much trouble to check and confirm that the correct plate letter and number sequence corresponding to the year issue plate is properly assigned if the black plates were to be reissued.

Restorers who care about these things believe they can determine the correct range plate letter & number sequence for the month the car was first issued a plate (personal data bases assembled over years of research). The DMV cannot determine, with the same assurance, the correct plate for a given year (so they say).

The entire black plate reissue argument is driven by speculators who assign a greater value to a car with black plates, (just like, #@<%!^&, "matching numbers". The problem from the DMV and a pure restoration standpoint is that reissuing the black plates will potentially create another valuation point for collector vehicles based on incorrect and unverifiable information.

Who will manage the judging guide for the correct plate letter & number series for a given year?
Who will police the disputes when a buyer believes someone claiming original “black plates” has scammed him with the wrong year plate letter & number sequence?
Will the DMV be held accountable in a monetary dispute (the DMV issued the plate, they must be the experts, and they have deep pockets to raid in litigation)?
Who will prevent the legal professional from taking a dispute over the "correct" plate number all the way to the 9th District Court?
Who will prevent the car loving CA legislature from stepping the “resolve” the problem?

I am sure this progression of events is what the old car enthusiast wants as the court will probably rule anyone can have any plate color or sequence as long as it does not offend endangered flora and fauna, and is issued with a Court Ordered legislated stipulation agreement that all cars issued such plates must meet emissions standards for the year the plate is reissued (with a provision that all cars older than 1976 must have reissued plates within the next two years – i.e. all must be evaluated from an emissions standpoint to eliminate the current exemption).

The black plate topic opens a Pandora’s box of potential litigation and a legislative opportunity to further cripple the old car enthusiast who wants to drive without state government interference (without some expert a$$ from telling him he has the wrong plate for the month and year car and needs to clean up the tailpipe or scrap the car).

What is a black plate worth after the CA courts and legislature are done “helping” the legitimate old car enthusiast?

Old 06-14-2006, 07:51 PM
vetteman64
Racer

Received 230 Likes on 63 Posts

Default Reg CA vintage plates

I did not see anyone specifically mention that the older plate issue is called "Year Of Manufacturer" or YOM for short. 2 recent attempts were made to add the "black" plates, 1963 to 1972 I believe, but both were vetoed by then Gov Davis. The reason(s) were safety (visibility at night) & readability at night (by police) due to lack of reflectivity. I guess they forgot about the federally required license plate lights installed since late 50's/early 60's!!
To use the YOM plate, you find a clear set relative to the year of the car(note: the "black" plates used the same alpha/numeric patterns as the 56-62 plates. Check with the DMV before spending big bucks on nice plates. I believe CSAA can check a plate without the long wait at the DMV.), acquire the SAME year sticker as the year of the vehicle (ex 59 vette, 1959 sticker). These are mounted normally and never change. DMV issues you a current sticker/registration and the sticker is applied to little metal piece that is attached to one of the main bolts of the license plate.
C Ya, Joseph Rock
Frankenstein 59
P.S. If you go the YOM route register FIRST before restoring a set of plates. CA DMV takes a very dim view of this, repo's too.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:53 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Read more here about painting new plates to be black/yellow... Doesn't seem to be any worse than running around with no front plate...

http://www.britbike.com/ubb/cgi-bin/...1;t=001835;p=1

I think I will do this on my 69 chevy pickup.

Last edited by CentralCoaster; 06-14-2006 at 09:58 PM.
Old 06-20-2006, 01:06 AM
vaughn_logan
Advanced

Default That Is Correct

Originally Posted by vetteman64
I did not see anyone specifically mention that the older plate issue is called "Year Of Manufacturer" or YOM for short. 2 recent attempts were made to add the "black" plates, 1963 to 1972 I believe, but both were vetoed by then Gov Davis. The reason(s) were safety (visibility at night) & readability at night (by police) due to lack of reflectivity. I guess they forgot about the federally required license plate lights installed since late 50's/early 60's!!
To use the YOM plate, you find a clear set relative to the year of the car(note: the "black" plates used the same alpha/numeric patterns as the 56-62 plates. Check with the DMV before spending big bucks on nice plates. I believe CSAA can check a plate without the long wait at the DMV.), acquire the SAME year sticker as the year of the vehicle (ex 59 vette, 1959 sticker). These are mounted normally and never change. DMV issues you a current sticker/registration and the sticker is applied to little metal piece that is attached to one of the main bolts of the license plate.
C Ya, Joseph Rock
Frankenstein 59
P.S. If you go the YOM route register FIRST before restoring a set of plates. CA DMV takes a very dim view of this, repo's too.

That is right ...

Here is some more information on a YOM:

http://www.davesclp.com/yomregistration.htm

I did this with my 1960 Corvette.

~Vaughn~
Old 06-20-2006, 01:10 AM
vaughn_logan
Advanced

Default Further ...

I bought a set of "DMV Clear" plates (yellow background with black alpha-numeric lettering) from him about 7 years back. He included the 1960 sticker as well.

http://www.davesclp.com/platesforsale.htm

~V~

Get notified of new replies

To Registering to CA vintage plates, or reproducing old plates. Questions.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:54 PM
letitiapepper
3rd Gear

The California Legislature adopted a law that sets up a "Legacy Plate" program -- but only if 7,500 plates are pre-ordered and paid for by 2015. You can get custom or sequentially ordered plates. They can be in one of three formats -- one of which is the old black with yellow plates. Go to http://www.dmv.ca.gov/legacyplates/index.htm to read more and for an order form.
Of the 7,500 that must be pre-ordered by 2015, 6,338 have been ordered so far (as of 08/19/2013). That leaves 1,162 to go. I'm ordering a set today. so 1,161 to go.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:55 PM
letitiapepper
3rd Gear

Default California' Legacy Plate program

The California Legislature adopted a law that sets up a "Legacy Plate" program -- but only if 7,500 plates are pre-ordered and paid for by 2015. You can get custom or sequentially ordered plates. They can be in one of three formats -- one of which is the old black with yellow plates. Go to http://www.dmv.ca.gov/legacyplates/index.htm to read more and for an order form.
Of the 7,500 that must be pre-ordered by 2015, 6,338 have been ordered so far (as of 08/19/2013). That leaves 1,162 to go. I'm ordering a set today. so 1,161 to go.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:17 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 829 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
(I'm not talking historical plates either.)

Apparently in California, you can register your car to the original style plates from your vintage, if you have some plates that are no longer registered in the DMV computer.

I believe this rule applies to cars 62(?) and older. Have any of you had luck registering with the old plates? I'm looking at buying an older truck, and want to give it a shot.

It's actually newer than 62, but I believe the law allows you to still register to the original plates, if they came off that exact vehicle. Assuming I could even locate the tag #, I'd probably have to get some fake plates made to match it. My goal is to just get some damn yellow on black plates on my truck.

Did you see this at the DMV site?

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/legacyplates/index.htm

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Registering to CA vintage plates, or reproducing old plates. Questions.